Cost Of Living in Ghana

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Ghana

Whether you're living in Ghana or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
4,100 GHS
average per month
1,000 GHS
Range
8,600 GHS

Couple
7,600 GHS
average per month
1,500 GHS
Range
12,000 GHS

Family
12,000 GHS
average per month
3,600 GHS
Range
18,000 GHS

Student
3,100 GHS
average per month
510 GHS
Range
6,600 GHS
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Ghana is 4,100 GHS. Expenses can range from 1,000 GHS at the minimum level to 8,600 GHS at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Ghana is 7,600 GHS. Expenditure can range from 1,500 GHS to 12,000 GHS per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Ghana is 12,000 GHS per month. Families spend anywhere from 3,600 GHS to 18,000 GHS.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Ghana is 3,100 GHS. Students spend from 510 GHS to 6,600 GHS per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Ghana

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.0 GHS

1.0 GHS
1.0 GHS

Fast food
combo meal

10 GHS

7.3 GHS
17 GHS

Restaurant
meal for one

34 GHS

27 GHS
42 GHS

Fine dining
meal for one

85 GHS

57 GHS
100 GHS

Soda
Soft Drink

0.85 GHS

0.85 GHS
0.85 GHS

Cappuccino
or latte

6.8 GHS

4.2 GHS
10 GHS

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

5.1 GHS

4.2 GHS
5.7 GHS

Loaf of
bread

0.73 GHS

0.64 GHS
0.85 GHS

12
eggs

5.1 GHS

4.2 GHS
6.4 GHS

Fresh whole
chicken

12 GHS

9.3 GHS
15 GHS

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

13 GHS

11 GHS
17 GHS

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

7.3 GHS

6.4 GHS
8.5 GHS

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

3.4 GHS

2.8 GHS
4.2 GHS

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

3.6 GHS

3.2 GHS
3.9 GHS

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

3.5 GHS

3.1 GHS
3.9 GHS

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

5.1 GHS

4.2 GHS
10 GHS

Average car
full tank

34 GHS

25 GHS
68 GHS

Average car
1-day rental

34 GHS

25 GHS
51 GHS

Average car
price

25,000 GHS

13,000 GHS
34,000 GHS

Bus ticket
one way

1.3 GHS

0.85 GHS
2.5 GHS

Car
Service

51 GHS

34 GHS
100 GHS

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

240 GHS

61 GHS
520 GHS

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

310 GHS

76 GHS
610 GHS

Electricity
and water bill
Family

490 GHS

110 GHS
550 GHS

Internet
and cable

51 GHS

25 GHS
68 GHS

Mobile phone
charges

34 GHS

20 GHS
100 GHS

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

17 GHS

13 GHS
25 GHS

One month gym
membership

51 GHS

41 GHS
100 GHS

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

42 GHS

30 GHS
64 GHS

Woman
dress

39 GHS

28 GHS
130 GHS

Woman
shoes

36 GHS

27 GHS
85 GHS

Men
shoes

28 GHS

23 GHS
57 GHS

Men
suit

32 GHS

25 GHS
170 GHS

Regular
t-shirt

17 GHS

13 GHS
51 GHS

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

640 GHS

420 GHS
1,700 GHS

1-bedroom
apartment

1,000 GHS

640 GHS
2,500 GHS

2-bedroom
apartment

1,300 GHS

850 GHS
3,400 GHS

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

130,000 GHS

85,000 GHS
250,000 GHS

1-bedroom
apartment

170,000 GHS

100,000 GHS
640,000 GHS

2-bedroom
apartment

510,000 GHS

170,000 GHS
1,000,000 GHS

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

640 GHS

510 GHS
850 GHS

Double
Bed

510 GHS

340 GHS
640 GHS

Single
Bed

390 GHS

300 GHS
510 GHS

Living
Room

730 GHS

570 GHS
2,500 GHS

Dining
Table

340 GHS

250 GHS
640 GHS

Sofa
or Couch

460 GHS

340 GHS
1,000 GHS

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

510 GHS

340 GHS
1,000 GHS

Fridge
or Freezer

460 GHS

300 GHS
640 GHS

Washing
Machine

570 GHS

390 GHS
1,000 GHS

Stove
or Cooker

460 GHS

360 GHS
640 GHS

Mobile
Phone

510 GHS

420 GHS
730 GHS

Laptop
or Computer

570 GHS

460 GHS
1,000 GHS

How do people spend their money in Ghana?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Ghana

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW370 GHS
AVERAGE1,500 GHS
HIGH3,100 GHS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW61 GHS
AVERAGE240 GHS
HIGH520 GHS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW81 GHS
AVERAGE330 GHS
HIGH690 GHS
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW160 GHS
AVERAGE650 GHS
HIGH1,400 GHS
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW92 GHS
AVERAGE370 GHS
HIGH780 GHS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW51 GHS
AVERAGE200 GHS
HIGH430 GHS
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW20 GHS
AVERAGE81 GHS
HIGH170 GHS
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW180 GHS
AVERAGE730 GHS
HIGH1,600 GHS
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Ghana

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW500 GHS
AVERAGE2,500 GHS
HIGH4,000 GHS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW76 GHS
AVERAGE310 GHS
HIGH610 GHS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW180 GHS
AVERAGE920 GHS
HIGH1,500 GHS
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW210 GHS
AVERAGE1,100 GHS
HIGH1,700 GHS
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW170 GHS
AVERAGE840 GHS
HIGH1,300 GHS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW92 GHS
AVERAGE460 GHS
HIGH730 GHS
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW31 GHS
AVERAGE150 GHS
HIGH240 GHS
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW260 GHS
AVERAGE1,300 GHS
HIGH2,100 GHS
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Ghana

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,100 GHS
AVERAGE3,900 GHS
HIGH5,900 GHS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW110 GHS
AVERAGE490 GHS
HIGH550 GHS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW280 GHS
AVERAGE980 GHS
HIGH1,500 GHS
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW640 GHS
AVERAGE2,200 GHS
HIGH3,300 GHS
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW280 GHS
AVERAGE980 GHS
HIGH1,500 GHS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW180 GHS
AVERAGE610 GHS
HIGH920 GHS
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW500 GHS
AVERAGE1,700 GHS
HIGH2,600 GHS
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW430 GHS
AVERAGE1,500 GHS
HIGH2,200 GHS
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Ghana

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW120 GHS
AVERAGE730 GHS
HIGH1,600 GHS
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW20 GHS
AVERAGE120 GHS
HIGH260 GHS
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW36 GHS
AVERAGE210 GHS
HIGH460 GHS
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW100 GHS
AVERAGE610 GHS
HIGH1,300 GHS
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW31 GHS
AVERAGE180 GHS
HIGH400 GHS
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW25 GHS
AVERAGE150 GHS
HIGH330 GHS
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW97 GHS
AVERAGE580 GHS
HIGH1,300 GHS
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW76 GHS
AVERAGE460 GHS
HIGH990 GHS
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Ghana typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,200 GHS with expenditure ranging from 530 GHS and 3,600 GHS. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Ghana ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 290 GHS with 66 GHS and 490 GHS being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 150 GHS to 1,000 GHS on commuting with 610 GHS being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Ghana is 1,100 GHS. The cost of groceries can range between 280 GHS to 1,900 GHS. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Ghana allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 140 GHS to 1,000 GHS with 590 GHS being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 86 GHS to 600 GHS with 360 GHS being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 630 GHS per month with 160 GHS being the minimum spent amount and 1,100 GHS being the maximum.

Accra   Kumasi  
©copound