Cost Of Living in Gibraltar

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Gibraltar

Whether you're living in Gibraltar or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,700 GIP
average per month
680 GIP
Range
5,800 GIP

Couple
5,100 GIP
average per month
1,000 GIP
Range
8,100 GIP

Family
8,100 GIP
average per month
2,400 GIP
Range
12,000 GIP

Student
2,000 GIP
average per month
340 GIP
Range
4,400 GIP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Gibraltar is 2,700 GIP. Expenses can range from 680 GIP at the minimum level to 5,800 GIP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Gibraltar is 5,100 GIP. Expenditure can range from 1,000 GIP to 8,100 GIP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Gibraltar is 8,100 GIP per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,400 GIP to 12,000 GIP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Gibraltar is 2,000 GIP. Students spend from 340 GIP to 4,400 GIP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Gibraltar

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.68 GIP

0.68 GIP
0.68 GIP

Fast food
combo meal

6.8 GIP

4.9 GIP
11 GIP

Restaurant
meal for one

23 GIP

18 GIP
28 GIP

Fine dining
meal for one

57 GIP

38 GIP
68 GIP

Soda
Soft Drink

0.57 GIP

0.57 GIP
0.57 GIP

Cappuccino
or latte

4.5 GIP

2.8 GIP
6.8 GIP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.4 GIP

2.8 GIP
3.8 GIP

Loaf of
bread

0.49 GIP

0.42 GIP
0.57 GIP

12
eggs

3.4 GIP

2.8 GIP
4.2 GIP

Fresh whole
chicken

7.9 GIP

6.2 GIP
9.7 GIP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

8.9 GIP

7.5 GIP
11 GIP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

4.9 GIP

4.2 GIP
5.7 GIP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.3 GIP

1.9 GIP
2.8 GIP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.4 GIP

2.1 GIP
2.6 GIP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.3 GIP

2.1 GIP
2.6 GIP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.4 GIP

2.8 GIP
6.8 GIP

Average car
full tank

23 GIP

17 GIP
45 GIP

Average car
1-day rental

23 GIP

17 GIP
34 GIP

Average car
price

17,000 GIP

8,500 GIP
23,000 GIP

Bus ticket
one way

0.85 GIP

0.57 GIP
1.7 GIP

Car
Service

34 GIP

23 GIP
68 GIP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

160 GIP

41 GIP
350 GIP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

200 GIP

51 GIP
410 GIP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

330 GIP

71 GIP
370 GIP

Internet
and cable

34 GIP

17 GIP
45 GIP

Mobile phone
charges

23 GIP

14 GIP
68 GIP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

11 GIP

8.5 GIP
17 GIP

One month gym
membership

34 GIP

27 GIP
68 GIP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

28 GIP

20 GIP
42 GIP

Woman
dress

26 GIP

19 GIP
85 GIP

Woman
shoes

24 GIP

18 GIP
57 GIP

Men
shoes

19 GIP

15 GIP
38 GIP

Men
suit

21 GIP

17 GIP
110 GIP

Regular
t-shirt

11 GIP

8.5 GIP
34 GIP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

420 GIP

280 GIP
1,100 GIP

1-bedroom
apartment

680 GIP

420 GIP
1,700 GIP

2-bedroom
apartment

850 GIP

570 GIP
2,300 GIP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

85,000 GIP

57,000 GIP
170,000 GIP

1-bedroom
apartment

110,000 GIP

68,000 GIP
420,000 GIP

2-bedroom
apartment

340,000 GIP

110,000 GIP
680,000 GIP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

420 GIP

340 GIP
570 GIP

Double
Bed

340 GIP

230 GIP
420 GIP

Single
Bed

260 GIP

200 GIP
340 GIP

Living
Room

490 GIP

380 GIP
1,700 GIP

Dining
Table

230 GIP

170 GIP
420 GIP

Sofa
or Couch

310 GIP

230 GIP
680 GIP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

340 GIP

230 GIP
680 GIP

Fridge
or Freezer

310 GIP

200 GIP
420 GIP

Washing
Machine

380 GIP

260 GIP
680 GIP

Stove
or Cooker

310 GIP

240 GIP
420 GIP

Mobile
Phone

340 GIP

280 GIP
490 GIP

Laptop
or Computer

380 GIP

310 GIP
680 GIP

How do people spend their money in Gibraltar?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Gibraltar

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW240 GIP
AVERAGE980 GIP
HIGH2,100 GIP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW41 GIP
AVERAGE160 GIP
HIGH350 GIP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW54 GIP
AVERAGE220 GIP
HIGH460 GIP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW110 GIP
AVERAGE430 GIP
HIGH920 GIP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW61 GIP
AVERAGE240 GIP
HIGH520 GIP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW34 GIP
AVERAGE140 GIP
HIGH290 GIP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW14 GIP
AVERAGE54 GIP
HIGH120 GIP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW120 GIP
AVERAGE490 GIP
HIGH1,000 GIP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Gibraltar

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW340 GIP
AVERAGE1,700 GIP
HIGH2,700 GIP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW51 GIP
AVERAGE200 GIP
HIGH410 GIP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW120 GIP
AVERAGE610 GIP
HIGH980 GIP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW140 GIP
AVERAGE710 GIP
HIGH1,100 GIP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW110 GIP
AVERAGE560 GIP
HIGH900 GIP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW61 GIP
AVERAGE310 GIP
HIGH490 GIP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW20 GIP
AVERAGE100 GIP
HIGH160 GIP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW170 GIP
AVERAGE870 GIP
HIGH1,400 GIP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Gibraltar

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW760 GIP
AVERAGE2,600 GIP
HIGH3,900 GIP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW71 GIP
AVERAGE330 GIP
HIGH370 GIP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW190 GIP
AVERAGE650 GIP
HIGH980 GIP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW430 GIP
AVERAGE1,500 GIP
HIGH2,200 GIP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW190 GIP
AVERAGE650 GIP
HIGH980 GIP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW120 GIP
AVERAGE410 GIP
HIGH610 GIP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW330 GIP
AVERAGE1,100 GIP
HIGH1,700 GIP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW290 GIP
AVERAGE980 GIP
HIGH1,500 GIP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Gibraltar

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW81 GIP
AVERAGE490 GIP
HIGH1,100 GIP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW14 GIP
AVERAGE81 GIP
HIGH180 GIP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW24 GIP
AVERAGE140 GIP
HIGH310 GIP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW68 GIP
AVERAGE410 GIP
HIGH880 GIP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW20 GIP
AVERAGE120 GIP
HIGH260 GIP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW17 GIP
AVERAGE100 GIP
HIGH220 GIP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW65 GIP
AVERAGE390 GIP
HIGH840 GIP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW51 GIP
AVERAGE310 GIP
HIGH660 GIP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Gibraltar typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,400 GIP with expenditure ranging from 360 GIP and 2,400 GIP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Gibraltar ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 190 GIP with 44 GIP and 320 GIP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 98 GIP to 680 GIP on commuting with 410 GIP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Gibraltar is 760 GIP. The cost of groceries can range between 190 GIP to 1,300 GIP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Gibraltar allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 96 GIP to 660 GIP with 390 GIP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 58 GIP to 400 GIP with 240 GIP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 420 GIP per month with 110 GIP being the minimum spent amount and 710 GIP being the maximum.

©copound