Cost Of Living in Greece

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Greece

Whether you're living in Greece or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,000 EUR
average per month
490 EUR
Range
4,100 EUR

Couple
3,700 EUR
average per month
730 EUR
Range
5,900 EUR

Family
5,900 EUR
average per month
1,700 EUR
Range
8,800 EUR

Student
1,500 EUR
average per month
240 EUR
Range
3,200 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Greece is 2,000 EUR. Expenses can range from 490 EUR at the minimum level to 4,100 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Greece is 3,700 EUR. Expenditure can range from 730 EUR to 5,900 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Greece is 5,900 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,700 EUR to 8,800 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Greece is 1,500 EUR. Students spend from 240 EUR to 3,200 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Greece

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.49 EUR

0.49 EUR
0.49 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

4.9 EUR

3.5 EUR
8.1 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

16 EUR

13 EUR
20 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

41 EUR

27 EUR
49 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.41 EUR

0.41 EUR
0.41 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

3.3 EUR

2.0 EUR
4.9 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.4 EUR

2.0 EUR
2.7 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.35 EUR

0.31 EUR
0.41 EUR

12
eggs

2.4 EUR

2.0 EUR
3.1 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

5.7 EUR

4.4 EUR
7.0 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

6.4 EUR

5.4 EUR
8.1 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

3.5 EUR

3.1 EUR
4.1 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.6 EUR

1.4 EUR
2.0 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.7 EUR

1.5 EUR
1.9 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.7 EUR

1.5 EUR
1.9 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.4 EUR

2.0 EUR
4.9 EUR

Average car
full tank

16 EUR

12 EUR
33 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

16 EUR

12 EUR
24 EUR

Average car
price

12,000 EUR

6,100 EUR
16,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

0.61 EUR

0.41 EUR
1.2 EUR

Car
Service

24 EUR

16 EUR
49 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

120 EUR

29 EUR
250 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

150 EUR

37 EUR
290 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

230 EUR

51 EUR
260 EUR

Internet
and cable

24 EUR

12 EUR
33 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

16 EUR

9.8 EUR
49 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

8.1 EUR

6.1 EUR
12 EUR

One month gym
membership

24 EUR

20 EUR
49 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

20 EUR

14 EUR
31 EUR

Woman
dress

19 EUR

14 EUR
61 EUR

Woman
shoes

17 EUR

13 EUR
41 EUR

Men
shoes

14 EUR

11 EUR
27 EUR

Men
suit

15 EUR

12 EUR
81 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

8.1 EUR

6.1 EUR
24 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

310 EUR

200 EUR
810 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

490 EUR

310 EUR
1,200 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

610 EUR

410 EUR
1,600 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

61,000 EUR

41,000 EUR
120,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

81,000 EUR

49,000 EUR
310,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

240,000 EUR

81,000 EUR
490,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

310 EUR

240 EUR
410 EUR

Double
Bed

240 EUR

160 EUR
310 EUR

Single
Bed

190 EUR

140 EUR
240 EUR

Living
Room

350 EUR

270 EUR
1,200 EUR

Dining
Table

160 EUR

120 EUR
310 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

220 EUR

160 EUR
490 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

240 EUR

160 EUR
490 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

220 EUR

140 EUR
310 EUR

Washing
Machine

270 EUR

190 EUR
490 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

220 EUR

170 EUR
310 EUR

Mobile
Phone

240 EUR

200 EUR
350 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

270 EUR

220 EUR
490 EUR

How do people spend their money in Greece?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Greece

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW180 EUR
AVERAGE700 EUR
HIGH1,500 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW29 EUR
AVERAGE120 EUR
HIGH250 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW39 EUR
AVERAGE160 EUR
HIGH330 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW78 EUR
AVERAGE310 EUR
HIGH660 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW44 EUR
AVERAGE180 EUR
HIGH370 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW24 EUR
AVERAGE98 EUR
HIGH210 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW9.8 EUR
AVERAGE39 EUR
HIGH83 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW88 EUR
AVERAGE350 EUR
HIGH750 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Greece

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW240 EUR
AVERAGE1,200 EUR
HIGH1,900 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW37 EUR
AVERAGE150 EUR
HIGH290 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW88 EUR
AVERAGE440 EUR
HIGH700 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW100 EUR
AVERAGE510 EUR
HIGH820 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW81 EUR
AVERAGE400 EUR
HIGH640 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW44 EUR
AVERAGE220 EUR
HIGH350 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW15 EUR
AVERAGE73 EUR
HIGH120 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE620 EUR
HIGH1,000 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Greece

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW550 EUR
AVERAGE1,900 EUR
HIGH2,800 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW51 EUR
AVERAGE230 EUR
HIGH260 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW140 EUR
AVERAGE470 EUR
HIGH700 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW310 EUR
AVERAGE1,100 EUR
HIGH1,600 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW140 EUR
AVERAGE470 EUR
HIGH700 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW85 EUR
AVERAGE290 EUR
HIGH440 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW240 EUR
AVERAGE820 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW210 EUR
AVERAGE700 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Greece

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW59 EUR
AVERAGE350 EUR
HIGH760 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW9.8 EUR
AVERAGE59 EUR
HIGH130 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW17 EUR
AVERAGE100 EUR
HIGH220 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW49 EUR
AVERAGE290 EUR
HIGH630 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW15 EUR
AVERAGE88 EUR
HIGH190 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW12 EUR
AVERAGE73 EUR
HIGH160 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW46 EUR
AVERAGE280 EUR
HIGH600 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW37 EUR
AVERAGE220 EUR
HIGH480 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Greece typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,000 EUR with expenditure ranging from 260 EUR and 1,800 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Greece ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 140 EUR with 32 EUR and 230 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 70 EUR to 490 EUR on commuting with 290 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Greece is 540 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 130 EUR to 930 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Greece allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 69 EUR to 480 EUR with 280 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 42 EUR to 290 EUR with 170 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 300 EUR per month with 78 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 510 EUR being the maximum.

Athens  
©copound