Cost Of Living in Greenland

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Greenland

Whether you're living in Greenland or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
23,000 DKK
average per month
5,700 DKK
Range
48,000 DKK

Couple
43,000 DKK
average per month
8,500 DKK
Range
68,000 DKK

Family
68,000 DKK
average per month
20,000 DKK
Range
100,000 DKK

Student
17,000 DKK
average per month
2,800 DKK
Range
37,000 DKK
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Greenland is 23,000 DKK. Expenses can range from 5,700 DKK at the minimum level to 48,000 DKK at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Greenland is 43,000 DKK. Expenditure can range from 8,500 DKK to 68,000 DKK per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Greenland is 68,000 DKK per month. Families spend anywhere from 20,000 DKK to 100,000 DKK.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Greenland is 17,000 DKK. Students spend from 2,800 DKK to 37,000 DKK per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Greenland

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

5.7 DKK

5.7 DKK
5.7 DKK

Fast food
combo meal

57 DKK

40 DKK
94 DKK

Restaurant
meal for one

190 DKK

150 DKK
240 DKK

Fine dining
meal for one

470 DKK

310 DKK
570 DKK

Soda
Soft Drink

4.7 DKK

4.7 DKK
4.7 DKK

Cappuccino
or latte

38 DKK

24 DKK
57 DKK

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

28 DKK

24 DKK
32 DKK

Loaf of
bread

4.1 DKK

3.5 DKK
4.7 DKK

12
eggs

28 DKK

24 DKK
35 DKK

Fresh whole
chicken

66 DKK

52 DKK
81 DKK

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

75 DKK

63 DKK
94 DKK

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

40 DKK

35 DKK
47 DKK

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

19 DKK

16 DKK
24 DKK

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

20 DKK

18 DKK
22 DKK

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

20 DKK

17 DKK
22 DKK

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

28 DKK

24 DKK
57 DKK

Average car
full tank

190 DKK

140 DKK
380 DKK

Average car
1-day rental

190 DKK

140 DKK
280 DKK

Average car
price

140,000 DKK

71,000 DKK
190,000 DKK

Bus ticket
one way

7.1 DKK

4.7 DKK
14 DKK

Car
Service

280 DKK

190 DKK
570 DKK

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,400 DKK

340 DKK
2,900 DKK

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,700 DKK

430 DKK
3,400 DKK

Electricity
and water bill
Family

2,700 DKK

600 DKK
3,100 DKK

Internet
and cable

280 DKK

140 DKK
380 DKK

Mobile phone
charges

190 DKK

110 DKK
570 DKK

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

94 DKK

71 DKK
140 DKK

One month gym
membership

280 DKK

230 DKK
570 DKK

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

240 DKK

170 DKK
350 DKK

Woman
dress

220 DKK

160 DKK
710 DKK

Woman
shoes

200 DKK

150 DKK
470 DKK

Men
shoes

160 DKK

130 DKK
310 DKK

Men
suit

180 DKK

140 DKK
940 DKK

Regular
t-shirt

94 DKK

71 DKK
280 DKK

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

3,500 DKK

2,400 DKK
9,400 DKK

1-bedroom
apartment

5,700 DKK

3,500 DKK
14,000 DKK

2-bedroom
apartment

7,100 DKK

4,700 DKK
19,000 DKK

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

710,000 DKK

470,000 DKK
1,400,000 DKK

1-bedroom
apartment

940,000 DKK

570,000 DKK
3,500,000 DKK

2-bedroom
apartment

2,800,000 DKK

940,000 DKK
5,700,000 DKK

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

3,500 DKK

2,800 DKK
4,700 DKK

Double
Bed

2,800 DKK

1,900 DKK
3,500 DKK

Single
Bed

2,200 DKK

1,700 DKK
2,800 DKK

Living
Room

4,000 DKK

3,100 DKK
14,000 DKK

Dining
Table

1,900 DKK

1,400 DKK
3,500 DKK

Sofa
or Couch

2,600 DKK

1,900 DKK
5,700 DKK

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

2,800 DKK

1,900 DKK
5,700 DKK

Fridge
or Freezer

2,600 DKK

1,700 DKK
3,500 DKK

Washing
Machine

3,100 DKK

2,200 DKK
5,700 DKK

Stove
or Cooker

2,600 DKK

2,000 DKK
3,500 DKK

Mobile
Phone

2,800 DKK

2,400 DKK
4,000 DKK

Laptop
or Computer

3,100 DKK

2,600 DKK
5,700 DKK

How do people spend their money in Greenland?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Greenland

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW2,000 DKK
AVERAGE8,200 DKK
HIGH17,000 DKK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW340 DKK
AVERAGE1,400 DKK
HIGH2,900 DKK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW450 DKK
AVERAGE1,800 DKK
HIGH3,900 DKK
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW910 DKK
AVERAGE3,600 DKK
HIGH7,700 DKK
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW510 DKK
AVERAGE2,000 DKK
HIGH4,300 DKK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW280 DKK
AVERAGE1,100 DKK
HIGH2,400 DKK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW110 DKK
AVERAGE450 DKK
HIGH960 DKK
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,000 DKK
AVERAGE4,100 DKK
HIGH8,700 DKK
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Greenland

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW2,800 DKK
AVERAGE14,000 DKK
HIGH22,000 DKK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW430 DKK
AVERAGE1,700 DKK
HIGH3,400 DKK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,000 DKK
AVERAGE5,100 DKK
HIGH8,200 DKK
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,200 DKK
AVERAGE6,000 DKK
HIGH9,500 DKK
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW940 DKK
AVERAGE4,700 DKK
HIGH7,500 DKK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW510 DKK
AVERAGE2,600 DKK
HIGH4,100 DKK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW170 DKK
AVERAGE850 DKK
HIGH1,400 DKK
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,400 DKK
AVERAGE7,200 DKK
HIGH12,000 DKK
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Greenland

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW6,300 DKK
AVERAGE22,000 DKK
HIGH33,000 DKK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW600 DKK
AVERAGE2,700 DKK
HIGH3,100 DKK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,600 DKK
AVERAGE5,400 DKK
HIGH8,200 DKK
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW3,600 DKK
AVERAGE12,000 DKK
HIGH18,000 DKK
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,600 DKK
AVERAGE5,400 DKK
HIGH8,200 DKK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW990 DKK
AVERAGE3,400 DKK
HIGH5,100 DKK
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW2,800 DKK
AVERAGE9,500 DKK
HIGH14,000 DKK
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW2,400 DKK
AVERAGE8,200 DKK
HIGH12,000 DKK
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Greenland

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW680 DKK
AVERAGE4,100 DKK
HIGH8,800 DKK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW110 DKK
AVERAGE680 DKK
HIGH1,500 DKK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW200 DKK
AVERAGE1,200 DKK
HIGH2,600 DKK
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW570 DKK
AVERAGE3,400 DKK
HIGH7,400 DKK
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW170 DKK
AVERAGE1,000 DKK
HIGH2,200 DKK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW140 DKK
AVERAGE850 DKK
HIGH1,800 DKK
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW540 DKK
AVERAGE3,200 DKK
HIGH7,000 DKK
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW430 DKK
AVERAGE2,600 DKK
HIGH5,500 DKK
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Greenland typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 12,000 DKK with expenditure ranging from 3,000 DKK and 20,000 DKK. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Greenland ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,600 DKK with 370 DKK and 2,700 DKK being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 810 DKK to 5,700 DKK on commuting with 3,400 DKK being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Greenland is 6,300 DKK. The cost of groceries can range between 1,600 DKK to 11,000 DKK. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Greenland allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 800 DKK to 5,500 DKK with 3,300 DKK being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 480 DKK to 3,400 DKK with 2,000 DKK being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 3,500 DKK per month with 900 DKK being the minimum spent amount and 5,900 DKK being the maximum.

©copound