Cost Of Living in Guatemala

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Guatemala

Whether you're living in Guatemala or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
8,400 GTQ
average per month
2,100 GTQ
Range
18,000 GTQ

Couple
16,000 GTQ
average per month
3,200 GTQ
Range
25,000 GTQ

Family
25,000 GTQ
average per month
7,400 GTQ
Range
38,000 GTQ

Student
6,300 GTQ
average per month
1,100 GTQ
Range
14,000 GTQ
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Guatemala is 8,400 GTQ. Expenses can range from 2,100 GTQ at the minimum level to 18,000 GTQ at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Guatemala is 16,000 GTQ. Expenditure can range from 3,200 GTQ to 25,000 GTQ per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Guatemala is 25,000 GTQ per month. Families spend anywhere from 7,400 GTQ to 38,000 GTQ.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Guatemala is 6,300 GTQ. Students spend from 1,100 GTQ to 14,000 GTQ per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Guatemala

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

2.1 GTQ

2.1 GTQ
2.1 GTQ

Fast food
combo meal

21 GTQ

15 GTQ
35 GTQ

Restaurant
meal for one

70 GTQ

55 GTQ
88 GTQ

Fine dining
meal for one

180 GTQ

120 GTQ
210 GTQ

Soda
Soft Drink

1.8 GTQ

1.8 GTQ
1.8 GTQ

Cappuccino
or latte

14 GTQ

8.8 GTQ
21 GTQ

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

11 GTQ

8.8 GTQ
12 GTQ

Loaf of
bread

1.5 GTQ

1.3 GTQ
1.8 GTQ

12
eggs

11 GTQ

8.8 GTQ
13 GTQ

Fresh whole
chicken

24 GTQ

19 GTQ
30 GTQ

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

28 GTQ

23 GTQ
35 GTQ

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

15 GTQ

13 GTQ
18 GTQ

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

7.0 GTQ

5.8 GTQ
8.8 GTQ

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

7.5 GTQ

6.6 GTQ
8.1 GTQ

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

7.3 GTQ

6.4 GTQ
8.1 GTQ

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

11 GTQ

8.8 GTQ
21 GTQ

Average car
full tank

70 GTQ

53 GTQ
140 GTQ

Average car
1-day rental

70 GTQ

53 GTQ
110 GTQ

Average car
price

53,000 GTQ

26,000 GTQ
70,000 GTQ

Bus ticket
one way

2.6 GTQ

1.8 GTQ
5.3 GTQ

Car
Service

110 GTQ

70 GTQ
210 GTQ

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

500 GTQ

130 GTQ
1,100 GTQ

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

630 GTQ

160 GTQ
1,300 GTQ

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,000 GTQ

220 GTQ
1,100 GTQ

Internet
and cable

110 GTQ

53 GTQ
140 GTQ

Mobile phone
charges

70 GTQ

42 GTQ
210 GTQ

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

35 GTQ

26 GTQ
53 GTQ

One month gym
membership

110 GTQ

84 GTQ
210 GTQ

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

88 GTQ

62 GTQ
130 GTQ

Woman
dress

81 GTQ

58 GTQ
260 GTQ

Woman
shoes

75 GTQ

55 GTQ
180 GTQ

Men
shoes

58 GTQ

48 GTQ
120 GTQ

Men
suit

66 GTQ

53 GTQ
350 GTQ

Regular
t-shirt

35 GTQ

26 GTQ
110 GTQ

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,300 GTQ

880 GTQ
3,500 GTQ

1-bedroom
apartment

2,100 GTQ

1,300 GTQ
5,300 GTQ

2-bedroom
apartment

2,600 GTQ

1,800 GTQ
7,000 GTQ

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

260,000 GTQ

180,000 GTQ
530,000 GTQ

1-bedroom
apartment

350,000 GTQ

210,000 GTQ
1,300,000 GTQ

2-bedroom
apartment

1,100,000 GTQ

350,000 GTQ
2,100,000 GTQ

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,300 GTQ

1,100 GTQ
1,800 GTQ

Double
Bed

1,100 GTQ

700 GTQ
1,300 GTQ

Single
Bed

810 GTQ

620 GTQ
1,100 GTQ

Living
Room

1,500 GTQ

1,200 GTQ
5,300 GTQ

Dining
Table

700 GTQ

530 GTQ
1,300 GTQ

Sofa
or Couch

960 GTQ

700 GTQ
2,100 GTQ

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,100 GTQ

700 GTQ
2,100 GTQ

Fridge
or Freezer

960 GTQ

620 GTQ
1,300 GTQ

Washing
Machine

1,200 GTQ

810 GTQ
2,100 GTQ

Stove
or Cooker

960 GTQ

750 GTQ
1,300 GTQ

Mobile
Phone

1,100 GTQ

880 GTQ
1,500 GTQ

Laptop
or Computer

1,200 GTQ

960 GTQ
2,100 GTQ

How do people spend their money in Guatemala?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Guatemala

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW760 GTQ
AVERAGE3,000 GTQ
HIGH6,400 GTQ
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW130 GTQ
AVERAGE500 GTQ
HIGH1,100 GTQ
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW170 GTQ
AVERAGE670 GTQ
HIGH1,400 GTQ
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW340 GTQ
AVERAGE1,300 GTQ
HIGH2,900 GTQ
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW190 GTQ
AVERAGE760 GTQ
HIGH1,600 GTQ
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW110 GTQ
AVERAGE420 GTQ
HIGH890 GTQ
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW42 GTQ
AVERAGE170 GTQ
HIGH360 GTQ
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW380 GTQ
AVERAGE1,500 GTQ
HIGH3,200 GTQ
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Guatemala

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,000 GTQ
AVERAGE5,200 GTQ
HIGH8,300 GTQ
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW160 GTQ
AVERAGE630 GTQ
HIGH1,300 GTQ
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW380 GTQ
AVERAGE1,900 GTQ
HIGH3,000 GTQ
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW440 GTQ
AVERAGE2,200 GTQ
HIGH3,500 GTQ
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW350 GTQ
AVERAGE1,700 GTQ
HIGH2,800 GTQ
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW190 GTQ
AVERAGE950 GTQ
HIGH1,500 GTQ
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW63 GTQ
AVERAGE320 GTQ
HIGH500 GTQ
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW540 GTQ
AVERAGE2,700 GTQ
HIGH4,300 GTQ
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Guatemala

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW2,400 GTQ
AVERAGE8,100 GTQ
HIGH12,000 GTQ
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW220 GTQ
AVERAGE1,000 GTQ
HIGH1,100 GTQ
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW590 GTQ
AVERAGE2,000 GTQ
HIGH3,000 GTQ
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,300 GTQ
AVERAGE4,500 GTQ
HIGH6,800 GTQ
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW590 GTQ
AVERAGE2,000 GTQ
HIGH3,000 GTQ
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW370 GTQ
AVERAGE1,300 GTQ
HIGH1,900 GTQ
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,000 GTQ
AVERAGE3,500 GTQ
HIGH5,300 GTQ
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW880 GTQ
AVERAGE3,000 GTQ
HIGH4,500 GTQ
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Guatemala

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW250 GTQ
AVERAGE1,500 GTQ
HIGH3,300 GTQ
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW42 GTQ
AVERAGE250 GTQ
HIGH550 GTQ
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW74 GTQ
AVERAGE440 GTQ
HIGH960 GTQ
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW210 GTQ
AVERAGE1,300 GTQ
HIGH2,700 GTQ
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW63 GTQ
AVERAGE380 GTQ
HIGH820 GTQ
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW53 GTQ
AVERAGE320 GTQ
HIGH680 GTQ
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW200 GTQ
AVERAGE1,200 GTQ
HIGH2,600 GTQ
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW160 GTQ
AVERAGE950 GTQ
HIGH2,000 GTQ
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Guatemala typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 4,500 GTQ with expenditure ranging from 1,100 GTQ and 7,500 GTQ. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Guatemala ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 600 GTQ with 140 GTQ and 1,000 GTQ being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 300 GTQ to 2,100 GTQ on commuting with 1,300 GTQ being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Guatemala is 2,300 GTQ. The cost of groceries can range between 580 GTQ to 4,000 GTQ. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Guatemala allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 300 GTQ to 2,100 GTQ with 1,200 GTQ being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 180 GTQ to 1,200 GTQ with 740 GTQ being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,300 GTQ per month with 330 GTQ being the minimum spent amount and 2,200 GTQ being the maximum.

©copound