Cost Of Living in Guernsey

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Guernsey

Whether you're living in Guernsey or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
6,200 GBP
average per month
1,500 GBP
Range
13,000 GBP

Couple
12,000 GBP
average per month
2,300 GBP
Range
19,000 GBP

Family
19,000 GBP
average per month
5,400 GBP
Range
28,000 GBP

Student
4,600 GBP
average per month
770 GBP
Range
10,000 GBP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Guernsey is 6,200 GBP. Expenses can range from 1,500 GBP at the minimum level to 13,000 GBP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Guernsey is 12,000 GBP. Expenditure can range from 2,300 GBP to 19,000 GBP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Guernsey is 19,000 GBP per month. Families spend anywhere from 5,400 GBP to 28,000 GBP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Guernsey is 4,600 GBP. Students spend from 770 GBP to 10,000 GBP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Guernsey

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.5 GBP

1.5 GBP
1.5 GBP

Fast food
combo meal

15 GBP

11 GBP
26 GBP

Restaurant
meal for one

51 GBP

41 GBP
64 GBP

Fine dining
meal for one

130 GBP

86 GBP
150 GBP

Soda
Soft Drink

1.3 GBP

1.3 GBP
1.3 GBP

Cappuccino
or latte

10 GBP

6.4 GBP
15 GBP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

7.7 GBP

6.4 GBP
8.6 GBP

Loaf of
bread

1.1 GBP

0.96 GBP
1.3 GBP

12
eggs

7.7 GBP

6.4 GBP
9.7 GBP

Fresh whole
chicken

18 GBP

14 GBP
22 GBP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

20 GBP

17 GBP
26 GBP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

11 GBP

9.7 GBP
13 GBP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

5.1 GBP

4.3 GBP
6.4 GBP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

5.5 GBP

4.8 GBP
5.9 GBP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

5.3 GBP

4.7 GBP
5.9 GBP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

7.7 GBP

6.4 GBP
15 GBP

Average car
full tank

51 GBP

39 GBP
100 GBP

Average car
1-day rental

51 GBP

39 GBP
77 GBP

Average car
price

39,000 GBP

19,000 GBP
51,000 GBP

Bus ticket
one way

1.9 GBP

1.3 GBP
3.9 GBP

Car
Service

77 GBP

51 GBP
150 GBP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

370 GBP

93 GBP
790 GBP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

460 GBP

120 GBP
930 GBP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

740 GBP

160 GBP
830 GBP

Internet
and cable

77 GBP

39 GBP
100 GBP

Mobile phone
charges

51 GBP

31 GBP
150 GBP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

26 GBP

19 GBP
39 GBP

One month gym
membership

77 GBP

62 GBP
150 GBP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

64 GBP

45 GBP
96 GBP

Woman
dress

59 GBP

43 GBP
190 GBP

Woman
shoes

55 GBP

41 GBP
130 GBP

Men
shoes

43 GBP

35 GBP
86 GBP

Men
suit

48 GBP

39 GBP
260 GBP

Regular
t-shirt

26 GBP

19 GBP
77 GBP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

960 GBP

640 GBP
2,600 GBP

1-bedroom
apartment

1,500 GBP

960 GBP
3,900 GBP

2-bedroom
apartment

1,900 GBP

1,300 GBP
5,100 GBP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

190,000 GBP

130,000 GBP
390,000 GBP

1-bedroom
apartment

260,000 GBP

150,000 GBP
960,000 GBP

2-bedroom
apartment

770,000 GBP

260,000 GBP
1,500,000 GBP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

960 GBP

770 GBP
1,300 GBP

Double
Bed

770 GBP

510 GBP
960 GBP

Single
Bed

590 GBP

450 GBP
770 GBP

Living
Room

1,100 GBP

860 GBP
3,900 GBP

Dining
Table

510 GBP

390 GBP
960 GBP

Sofa
or Couch

700 GBP

510 GBP
1,500 GBP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

770 GBP

510 GBP
1,500 GBP

Fridge
or Freezer

700 GBP

450 GBP
960 GBP

Washing
Machine

860 GBP

590 GBP
1,500 GBP

Stove
or Cooker

700 GBP

550 GBP
960 GBP

Mobile
Phone

770 GBP

640 GBP
1,100 GBP

Laptop
or Computer

860 GBP

700 GBP
1,500 GBP

How do people spend their money in Guernsey?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Guernsey

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW560 GBP
AVERAGE2,200 GBP
HIGH4,700 GBP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW93 GBP
AVERAGE370 GBP
HIGH790 GBP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW120 GBP
AVERAGE490 GBP
HIGH1,000 GBP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW250 GBP
AVERAGE990 GBP
HIGH2,100 GBP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW140 GBP
AVERAGE560 GBP
HIGH1,200 GBP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW77 GBP
AVERAGE310 GBP
HIGH660 GBP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW31 GBP
AVERAGE120 GBP
HIGH260 GBP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW280 GBP
AVERAGE1,100 GBP
HIGH2,400 GBP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Guernsey

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW760 GBP
AVERAGE3,800 GBP
HIGH6,100 GBP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW120 GBP
AVERAGE460 GBP
HIGH930 GBP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW280 GBP
AVERAGE1,400 GBP
HIGH2,200 GBP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW320 GBP
AVERAGE1,600 GBP
HIGH2,600 GBP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW250 GBP
AVERAGE1,300 GBP
HIGH2,000 GBP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW140 GBP
AVERAGE690 GBP
HIGH1,100 GBP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW46 GBP
AVERAGE230 GBP
HIGH370 GBP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW390 GBP
AVERAGE2,000 GBP
HIGH3,100 GBP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Guernsey

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,700 GBP
AVERAGE5,900 GBP
HIGH8,900 GBP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW160 GBP
AVERAGE740 GBP
HIGH830 GBP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW430 GBP
AVERAGE1,500 GBP
HIGH2,200 GBP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW970 GBP
AVERAGE3,300 GBP
HIGH5,000 GBP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW430 GBP
AVERAGE1,500 GBP
HIGH2,200 GBP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW270 GBP
AVERAGE930 GBP
HIGH1,400 GBP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW760 GBP
AVERAGE2,600 GBP
HIGH3,900 GBP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW650 GBP
AVERAGE2,200 GBP
HIGH3,300 GBP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Guernsey

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW190 GBP
AVERAGE1,100 GBP
HIGH2,400 GBP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW31 GBP
AVERAGE190 GBP
HIGH400 GBP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW54 GBP
AVERAGE320 GBP
HIGH700 GBP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW150 GBP
AVERAGE930 GBP
HIGH2,000 GBP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW46 GBP
AVERAGE280 GBP
HIGH600 GBP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW39 GBP
AVERAGE230 GBP
HIGH500 GBP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW150 GBP
AVERAGE880 GBP
HIGH1,900 GBP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW120 GBP
AVERAGE690 GBP
HIGH1,500 GBP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Guernsey typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,300 GBP with expenditure ranging from 810 GBP and 5,500 GBP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Guernsey ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 440 GBP with 100 GBP and 740 GBP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 220 GBP to 1,500 GBP on commuting with 920 GBP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Guernsey is 1,700 GBP. The cost of groceries can range between 420 GBP to 2,900 GBP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Guernsey allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 220 GBP to 1,500 GBP with 900 GBP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 130 GBP to 910 GBP with 540 GBP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 960 GBP per month with 240 GBP being the minimum spent amount and 1,600 GBP being the maximum.

©copound