Cost Of Living in Guyana

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Guyana

Whether you're living in Guyana or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
140,000 GYD
average per month
35,000 GYD
Range
300,000 GYD

Couple
260,000 GYD
average per month
53,000 GYD
Range
420,000 GYD

Family
420,000 GYD
average per month
120,000 GYD
Range
630,000 GYD

Student
110,000 GYD
average per month
18,000 GYD
Range
230,000 GYD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Guyana is 140,000 GYD. Expenses can range from 35,000 GYD at the minimum level to 300,000 GYD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Guyana is 260,000 GYD. Expenditure can range from 53,000 GYD to 420,000 GYD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Guyana is 420,000 GYD per month. Families spend anywhere from 120,000 GYD to 630,000 GYD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Guyana is 110,000 GYD. Students spend from 18,000 GYD to 230,000 GYD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Guyana

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

35 GYD

35 GYD
35 GYD

Fast food
combo meal

350 GYD

250 GYD
590 GYD

Restaurant
meal for one

1,200 GYD

930 GYD
1,500 GYD

Fine dining
meal for one

2,900 GYD

2,000 GYD
3,500 GYD

Soda
Soft Drink

29 GYD

29 GYD
29 GYD

Cappuccino
or latte

230 GYD

150 GYD
350 GYD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

180 GYD

150 GYD
200 GYD

Loaf of
bread

25 GYD

22 GYD
29 GYD

12
eggs

180 GYD

150 GYD
220 GYD

Fresh whole
chicken

410 GYD

320 GYD
500 GYD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

460 GYD

390 GYD
590 GYD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

250 GYD

220 GYD
290 GYD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

120 GYD

98 GYD
150 GYD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

130 GYD

110 GYD
140 GYD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

120 GYD

110 GYD
140 GYD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

180 GYD

150 GYD
350 GYD

Average car
full tank

1,200 GYD

880 GYD
2,300 GYD

Average car
1-day rental

1,200 GYD

880 GYD
1,800 GYD

Average car
price

880,000 GYD

440,000 GYD
1,200,000 GYD

Bus ticket
one way

44 GYD

29 GYD
88 GYD

Car
Service

1,800 GYD

1,200 GYD
3,500 GYD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

8,400 GYD

2,100 GYD
18,000 GYD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

11,000 GYD

2,600 GYD
21,000 GYD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

17,000 GYD

3,700 GYD
19,000 GYD

Internet
and cable

1,800 GYD

880 GYD
2,300 GYD

Mobile phone
charges

1,200 GYD

700 GYD
3,500 GYD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

590 GYD

440 GYD
880 GYD

One month gym
membership

1,800 GYD

1,400 GYD
3,500 GYD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

1,500 GYD

1,000 GYD
2,200 GYD

Woman
dress

1,400 GYD

980 GYD
4,400 GYD

Woman
shoes

1,300 GYD

930 GYD
2,900 GYD

Men
shoes

980 GYD

800 GYD
2,000 GYD

Men
suit

1,100 GYD

880 GYD
5,900 GYD

Regular
t-shirt

590 GYD

440 GYD
1,800 GYD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

22,000 GYD

15,000 GYD
59,000 GYD

1-bedroom
apartment

35,000 GYD

22,000 GYD
88,000 GYD

2-bedroom
apartment

44,000 GYD

29,000 GYD
120,000 GYD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

4,400,000 GYD

2,900,000 GYD
8,800,000 GYD

1-bedroom
apartment

5,900,000 GYD

3,500,000 GYD
22,000,000 GYD

2-bedroom
apartment

18,000,000 GYD

5,900,000 GYD
35,000,000 GYD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

22,000 GYD

18,000 GYD
29,000 GYD

Double
Bed

18,000 GYD

12,000 GYD
22,000 GYD

Single
Bed

14,000 GYD

10,000 GYD
18,000 GYD

Living
Room

25,000 GYD

20,000 GYD
88,000 GYD

Dining
Table

12,000 GYD

8,800 GYD
22,000 GYD

Sofa
or Couch

16,000 GYD

12,000 GYD
35,000 GYD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

18,000 GYD

12,000 GYD
35,000 GYD

Fridge
or Freezer

16,000 GYD

10,000 GYD
22,000 GYD

Washing
Machine

20,000 GYD

14,000 GYD
35,000 GYD

Stove
or Cooker

16,000 GYD

13,000 GYD
22,000 GYD

Mobile
Phone

18,000 GYD

15,000 GYD
25,000 GYD

Laptop
or Computer

20,000 GYD

16,000 GYD
35,000 GYD

How do people spend their money in Guyana?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Guyana

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW13,000 GYD
AVERAGE51,000 GYD
HIGH110,000 GYD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,100 GYD
AVERAGE8,400 GYD
HIGH18,000 GYD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW2,800 GYD
AVERAGE11,000 GYD
HIGH24,000 GYD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW5,600 GYD
AVERAGE23,000 GYD
HIGH48,000 GYD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW3,200 GYD
AVERAGE13,000 GYD
HIGH27,000 GYD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,800 GYD
AVERAGE7,000 GYD
HIGH15,000 GYD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW700 GYD
AVERAGE2,800 GYD
HIGH6,000 GYD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW6,300 GYD
AVERAGE25,000 GYD
HIGH54,000 GYD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Guyana

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW17,000 GYD
AVERAGE87,000 GYD
HIGH140,000 GYD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW2,600 GYD
AVERAGE11,000 GYD
HIGH21,000 GYD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW6,300 GYD
AVERAGE32,000 GYD
HIGH51,000 GYD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW7,400 GYD
AVERAGE37,000 GYD
HIGH59,000 GYD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW5,800 GYD
AVERAGE29,000 GYD
HIGH46,000 GYD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW3,200 GYD
AVERAGE16,000 GYD
HIGH25,000 GYD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,100 GYD
AVERAGE5,300 GYD
HIGH8,400 GYD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW9,000 GYD
AVERAGE45,000 GYD
HIGH72,000 GYD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Guyana

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW39,000 GYD
AVERAGE140,000 GYD
HIGH200,000 GYD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW3,700 GYD
AVERAGE17,000 GYD
HIGH19,000 GYD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW9,800 GYD
AVERAGE34,000 GYD
HIGH51,000 GYD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW22,000 GYD
AVERAGE76,000 GYD
HIGH110,000 GYD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW9,800 GYD
AVERAGE34,000 GYD
HIGH51,000 GYD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW6,200 GYD
AVERAGE21,000 GYD
HIGH32,000 GYD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW17,000 GYD
AVERAGE59,000 GYD
HIGH89,000 GYD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW15,000 GYD
AVERAGE51,000 GYD
HIGH76,000 GYD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Guyana

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW4,200 GYD
AVERAGE25,000 GYD
HIGH55,000 GYD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW700 GYD
AVERAGE4,200 GYD
HIGH9,100 GYD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW1,200 GYD
AVERAGE7,400 GYD
HIGH16,000 GYD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW3,500 GYD
AVERAGE21,000 GYD
HIGH46,000 GYD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW1,100 GYD
AVERAGE6,300 GYD
HIGH14,000 GYD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW880 GYD
AVERAGE5,300 GYD
HIGH11,000 GYD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW3,300 GYD
AVERAGE20,000 GYD
HIGH43,000 GYD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW2,600 GYD
AVERAGE16,000 GYD
HIGH34,000 GYD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Guyana typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 75,000 GYD with expenditure ranging from 18,000 GYD and 130,000 GYD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Guyana ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 10,000 GYD with 2,300 GYD and 17,000 GYD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 5,100 GYD to 35,000 GYD on commuting with 21,000 GYD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Guyana is 39,000 GYD. The cost of groceries can range between 9,700 GYD to 67,000 GYD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Guyana allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 5,000 GYD to 34,000 GYD with 20,000 GYD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 3,000 GYD to 21,000 GYD with 12,000 GYD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 22,000 GYD per month with 5,600 GYD being the minimum spent amount and 37,000 GYD being the maximum.

©copound