Cost Of Living in Haiti

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Haiti

Whether you're living in Haiti or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
55,000 HTG
average per month
14,000 HTG
Range
120,000 HTG

Couple
100,000 HTG
average per month
21,000 HTG
Range
160,000 HTG

Family
160,000 HTG
average per month
48,000 HTG
Range
250,000 HTG

Student
41,000 HTG
average per month
6,900 HTG
Range
89,000 HTG
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Haiti is 55,000 HTG. Expenses can range from 14,000 HTG at the minimum level to 120,000 HTG at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Haiti is 100,000 HTG. Expenditure can range from 21,000 HTG to 160,000 HTG per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Haiti is 160,000 HTG per month. Families spend anywhere from 48,000 HTG to 250,000 HTG.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Haiti is 41,000 HTG. Students spend from 6,900 HTG to 89,000 HTG per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Haiti

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

14 HTG

14 HTG
14 HTG

Fast food
combo meal

140 HTG

98 HTG
230 HTG

Restaurant
meal for one

460 HTG

360 HTG
570 HTG

Fine dining
meal for one

1,100 HTG

760 HTG
1,400 HTG

Soda
Soft Drink

11 HTG

11 HTG
11 HTG

Cappuccino
or latte

92 HTG

57 HTG
140 HTG

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

69 HTG

57 HTG
76 HTG

Loaf of
bread

9.8 HTG

8.6 HTG
11 HTG

12
eggs

69 HTG

57 HTG
86 HTG

Fresh whole
chicken

160 HTG

120 HTG
200 HTG

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

180 HTG

150 HTG
230 HTG

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

98 HTG

86 HTG
110 HTG

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

46 HTG

38 HTG
57 HTG

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

49 HTG

43 HTG
53 HTG

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

47 HTG

42 HTG
53 HTG

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

69 HTG

57 HTG
140 HTG

Average car
full tank

460 HTG

340 HTG
910 HTG

Average car
1-day rental

460 HTG

340 HTG
690 HTG

Average car
price

340,000 HTG

170,000 HTG
460,000 HTG

Bus ticket
one way

17 HTG

11 HTG
34 HTG

Car
Service

690 HTG

460 HTG
1,400 HTG

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

3,300 HTG

820 HTG
7,000 HTG

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

4,100 HTG

1,000 HTG
8,200 HTG

Electricity
and water bill
Family

6,600 HTG

1,400 HTG
7,400 HTG

Internet
and cable

690 HTG

340 HTG
910 HTG

Mobile phone
charges

460 HTG

270 HTG
1,400 HTG

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

230 HTG

170 HTG
340 HTG

One month gym
membership

690 HTG

550 HTG
1,400 HTG

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

570 HTG

400 HTG
860 HTG

Woman
dress

530 HTG

380 HTG
1,700 HTG

Woman
shoes

490 HTG

360 HTG
1,100 HTG

Men
shoes

380 HTG

310 HTG
760 HTG

Men
suit

430 HTG

340 HTG
2,300 HTG

Regular
t-shirt

230 HTG

170 HTG
690 HTG

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

8,600 HTG

5,700 HTG
23,000 HTG

1-bedroom
apartment

14,000 HTG

8,600 HTG
34,000 HTG

2-bedroom
apartment

17,000 HTG

11,000 HTG
46,000 HTG

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

1,700,000 HTG

1,100,000 HTG
3,400,000 HTG

1-bedroom
apartment

2,300,000 HTG

1,400,000 HTG
8,600,000 HTG

2-bedroom
apartment

6,900,000 HTG

2,300,000 HTG
14,000,000 HTG

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

8,600 HTG

6,900 HTG
11,000 HTG

Double
Bed

6,900 HTG

4,600 HTG
8,600 HTG

Single
Bed

5,300 HTG

4,000 HTG
6,900 HTG

Living
Room

9,800 HTG

7,600 HTG
34,000 HTG

Dining
Table

4,600 HTG

3,400 HTG
8,600 HTG

Sofa
or Couch

6,200 HTG

4,600 HTG
14,000 HTG

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

6,900 HTG

4,600 HTG
14,000 HTG

Fridge
or Freezer

6,200 HTG

4,000 HTG
8,600 HTG

Washing
Machine

7,600 HTG

5,300 HTG
14,000 HTG

Stove
or Cooker

6,200 HTG

4,900 HTG
8,600 HTG

Mobile
Phone

6,900 HTG

5,700 HTG
9,800 HTG

Laptop
or Computer

7,600 HTG

6,200 HTG
14,000 HTG

How do people spend their money in Haiti?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Haiti

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW4,900 HTG
AVERAGE20,000 HTG
HIGH42,000 HTG
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW820 HTG
AVERAGE3,300 HTG
HIGH7,000 HTG
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW1,100 HTG
AVERAGE4,400 HTG
HIGH9,300 HTG
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW2,200 HTG
AVERAGE8,800 HTG
HIGH19,000 HTG
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,200 HTG
AVERAGE4,900 HTG
HIGH10,000 HTG
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW690 HTG
AVERAGE2,700 HTG
HIGH5,800 HTG
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW270 HTG
AVERAGE1,100 HTG
HIGH2,300 HTG
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW2,500 HTG
AVERAGE9,900 HTG
HIGH21,000 HTG
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Haiti

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW6,800 HTG
AVERAGE34,000 HTG
HIGH54,000 HTG
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW1,000 HTG
AVERAGE4,100 HTG
HIGH8,200 HTG
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW2,500 HTG
AVERAGE12,000 HTG
HIGH20,000 HTG
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW2,900 HTG
AVERAGE14,000 HTG
HIGH23,000 HTG
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW2,300 HTG
AVERAGE11,000 HTG
HIGH18,000 HTG
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW1,200 HTG
AVERAGE6,200 HTG
HIGH9,900 HTG
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW410 HTG
AVERAGE2,100 HTG
HIGH3,300 HTG
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW3,500 HTG
AVERAGE17,000 HTG
HIGH28,000 HTG
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Haiti

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW15,000 HTG
AVERAGE53,000 HTG
HIGH79,000 HTG
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW1,400 HTG
AVERAGE6,600 HTG
HIGH7,400 HTG
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW3,800 HTG
AVERAGE13,000 HTG
HIGH20,000 HTG
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW8,600 HTG
AVERAGE30,000 HTG
HIGH44,000 HTG
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW3,800 HTG
AVERAGE13,000 HTG
HIGH20,000 HTG
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,400 HTG
AVERAGE8,200 HTG
HIGH12,000 HTG
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW6,700 HTG
AVERAGE23,000 HTG
HIGH35,000 HTG
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW5,800 HTG
AVERAGE20,000 HTG
HIGH30,000 HTG
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Haiti

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW1,600 HTG
AVERAGE9,900 HTG
HIGH21,000 HTG
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW270 HTG
AVERAGE1,600 HTG
HIGH3,600 HTG
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW480 HTG
AVERAGE2,900 HTG
HIGH6,200 HTG
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW1,400 HTG
AVERAGE8,200 HTG
HIGH18,000 HTG
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW410 HTG
AVERAGE2,500 HTG
HIGH5,400 HTG
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW340 HTG
AVERAGE2,100 HTG
HIGH4,500 HTG
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW1,300 HTG
AVERAGE7,800 HTG
HIGH17,000 HTG
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW1,000 HTG
AVERAGE6,200 HTG
HIGH13,000 HTG
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Haiti typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 29,000 HTG with expenditure ranging from 7,200 HTG and 49,000 HTG. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Haiti ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 3,900 HTG with 890 HTG and 6,600 HTG being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 2,000 HTG to 14,000 HTG on commuting with 8,200 HTG being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Haiti is 15,000 HTG. The cost of groceries can range between 3,800 HTG to 26,000 HTG. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Haiti allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 1,900 HTG to 13,000 HTG with 8,000 HTG being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 1,200 HTG to 8,100 HTG with 4,800 HTG being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 8,500 HTG per month with 2,200 HTG being the minimum spent amount and 14,000 HTG being the maximum.

©copound