Cost Of Living in Honduras

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Honduras

Whether you're living in Honduras or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
23,000 HNL
average per month
5,600 HNL
Range
48,000 HNL

Couple
42,000 HNL
average per month
8,500 HNL
Range
68,000 HNL

Family
68,000 HNL
average per month
20,000 HNL
Range
100,000 HNL

Student
17,000 HNL
average per month
2,800 HNL
Range
37,000 HNL
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Honduras is 23,000 HNL. Expenses can range from 5,600 HNL at the minimum level to 48,000 HNL at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Honduras is 42,000 HNL. Expenditure can range from 8,500 HNL to 68,000 HNL per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Honduras is 68,000 HNL per month. Families spend anywhere from 20,000 HNL to 100,000 HNL.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Honduras is 17,000 HNL. Students spend from 2,800 HNL to 37,000 HNL per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Honduras

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

5.6 HNL

5.6 HNL
5.6 HNL

Fast food
combo meal

56 HNL

40 HNL
94 HNL

Restaurant
meal for one

190 HNL

150 HNL
240 HNL

Fine dining
meal for one

470 HNL

310 HNL
560 HNL

Soda
Soft Drink

4.7 HNL

4.7 HNL
4.7 HNL

Cappuccino
or latte

38 HNL

24 HNL
56 HNL

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

28 HNL

24 HNL
31 HNL

Loaf of
bread

4.0 HNL

3.5 HNL
4.7 HNL

12
eggs

28 HNL

24 HNL
35 HNL

Fresh whole
chicken

66 HNL

51 HNL
81 HNL

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

74 HNL

63 HNL
94 HNL

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

40 HNL

35 HNL
47 HNL

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

19 HNL

16 HNL
24 HNL

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

20 HNL

18 HNL
22 HNL

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

19 HNL

17 HNL
22 HNL

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

28 HNL

24 HNL
56 HNL

Average car
full tank

190 HNL

140 HNL
380 HNL

Average car
1-day rental

190 HNL

140 HNL
280 HNL

Average car
price

140,000 HNL

71,000 HNL
190,000 HNL

Bus ticket
one way

7.1 HNL

4.7 HNL
14 HNL

Car
Service

280 HNL

190 HNL
560 HNL

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,400 HNL

340 HNL
2,900 HNL

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,700 HNL

420 HNL
3,400 HNL

Electricity
and water bill
Family

2,700 HNL

590 HNL
3,000 HNL

Internet
and cable

280 HNL

140 HNL
380 HNL

Mobile phone
charges

190 HNL

110 HNL
560 HNL

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

94 HNL

71 HNL
140 HNL

One month gym
membership

280 HNL

230 HNL
560 HNL

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

240 HNL

170 HNL
350 HNL

Woman
dress

220 HNL

160 HNL
710 HNL

Woman
shoes

200 HNL

150 HNL
470 HNL

Men
shoes

160 HNL

130 HNL
310 HNL

Men
suit

180 HNL

140 HNL
940 HNL

Regular
t-shirt

94 HNL

71 HNL
280 HNL

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

3,500 HNL

2,400 HNL
9,400 HNL

1-bedroom
apartment

5,600 HNL

3,500 HNL
14,000 HNL

2-bedroom
apartment

7,100 HNL

4,700 HNL
19,000 HNL

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

710,000 HNL

470,000 HNL
1,400,000 HNL

1-bedroom
apartment

940,000 HNL

560,000 HNL
3,500,000 HNL

2-bedroom
apartment

2,800,000 HNL

940,000 HNL
5,600,000 HNL

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

3,500 HNL

2,800 HNL
4,700 HNL

Double
Bed

2,800 HNL

1,900 HNL
3,500 HNL

Single
Bed

2,200 HNL

1,700 HNL
2,800 HNL

Living
Room

4,000 HNL

3,100 HNL
14,000 HNL

Dining
Table

1,900 HNL

1,400 HNL
3,500 HNL

Sofa
or Couch

2,600 HNL

1,900 HNL
5,600 HNL

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

2,800 HNL

1,900 HNL
5,600 HNL

Fridge
or Freezer

2,600 HNL

1,700 HNL
3,500 HNL

Washing
Machine

3,100 HNL

2,200 HNL
5,600 HNL

Stove
or Cooker

2,600 HNL

2,000 HNL
3,500 HNL

Mobile
Phone

2,800 HNL

2,400 HNL
4,000 HNL

Laptop
or Computer

3,100 HNL

2,600 HNL
5,600 HNL

How do people spend their money in Honduras?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Honduras

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW2,000 HNL
AVERAGE8,100 HNL
HIGH17,000 HNL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW340 HNL
AVERAGE1,400 HNL
HIGH2,900 HNL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW450 HNL
AVERAGE1,800 HNL
HIGH3,800 HNL
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW900 HNL
AVERAGE3,600 HNL
HIGH7,700 HNL
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW510 HNL
AVERAGE2,000 HNL
HIGH4,300 HNL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW280 HNL
AVERAGE1,100 HNL
HIGH2,400 HNL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW110 HNL
AVERAGE450 HNL
HIGH960 HNL
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,000 HNL
AVERAGE4,100 HNL
HIGH8,600 HNL
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Honduras

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW2,800 HNL
AVERAGE14,000 HNL
HIGH22,000 HNL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW420 HNL
AVERAGE1,700 HNL
HIGH3,400 HNL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,000 HNL
AVERAGE5,100 HNL
HIGH8,100 HNL
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,200 HNL
AVERAGE5,900 HNL
HIGH9,500 HNL
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW930 HNL
AVERAGE4,700 HNL
HIGH7,500 HNL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW510 HNL
AVERAGE2,500 HNL
HIGH4,100 HNL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW170 HNL
AVERAGE850 HNL
HIGH1,400 HNL
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,400 HNL
AVERAGE7,200 HNL
HIGH12,000 HNL
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Honduras

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW6,300 HNL
AVERAGE22,000 HNL
HIGH33,000 HNL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW590 HNL
AVERAGE2,700 HNL
HIGH3,000 HNL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,600 HNL
AVERAGE5,400 HNL
HIGH8,100 HNL
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW3,600 HNL
AVERAGE12,000 HNL
HIGH18,000 HNL
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,600 HNL
AVERAGE5,400 HNL
HIGH8,100 HNL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW990 HNL
AVERAGE3,400 HNL
HIGH5,100 HNL
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW2,800 HNL
AVERAGE9,500 HNL
HIGH14,000 HNL
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW2,400 HNL
AVERAGE8,100 HNL
HIGH12,000 HNL
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Honduras

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW680 HNL
AVERAGE4,100 HNL
HIGH8,800 HNL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW110 HNL
AVERAGE680 HNL
HIGH1,500 HNL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW200 HNL
AVERAGE1,200 HNL
HIGH2,600 HNL
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW560 HNL
AVERAGE3,400 HNL
HIGH7,300 HNL
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW170 HNL
AVERAGE1,000 HNL
HIGH2,200 HNL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW140 HNL
AVERAGE850 HNL
HIGH1,800 HNL
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW540 HNL
AVERAGE3,200 HNL
HIGH7,000 HNL
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW420 HNL
AVERAGE2,500 HNL
HIGH5,500 HNL
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Honduras typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 12,000 HNL with expenditure ranging from 3,000 HNL and 20,000 HNL. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Honduras ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,600 HNL with 370 HNL and 2,700 HNL being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 810 HNL to 5,700 HNL on commuting with 3,400 HNL being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Honduras is 6,300 HNL. The cost of groceries can range between 1,600 HNL to 11,000 HNL. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Honduras allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 800 HNL to 5,500 HNL with 3,300 HNL being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 480 HNL to 3,300 HNL with 2,000 HNL being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 3,500 HNL per month with 900 HNL being the minimum spent amount and 5,900 HNL being the maximum.

©copound