Cost Of Living in Hong Kong

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Hong Kong

Whether you're living in Hong Kong or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
29,000 HKD
average per month
7,300 HKD
Range
62,000 HKD

Couple
55,000 HKD
average per month
11,000 HKD
Range
88,000 HKD

Family
88,000 HKD
average per month
26,000 HKD
Range
130,000 HKD

Student
22,000 HKD
average per month
3,700 HKD
Range
48,000 HKD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Hong Kong is 29,000 HKD. Expenses can range from 7,300 HKD at the minimum level to 62,000 HKD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Hong Kong is 55,000 HKD. Expenditure can range from 11,000 HKD to 88,000 HKD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Hong Kong is 88,000 HKD per month. Families spend anywhere from 26,000 HKD to 130,000 HKD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Hong Kong is 22,000 HKD. Students spend from 3,700 HKD to 48,000 HKD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Hong Kong

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

7.3 HKD

7.3 HKD
7.3 HKD

Fast food
combo meal

73 HKD

52 HKD
120 HKD

Restaurant
meal for one

240 HKD

190 HKD
310 HKD

Fine dining
meal for one

610 HKD

410 HKD
730 HKD

Soda
Soft Drink

6.1 HKD

6.1 HKD
6.1 HKD

Cappuccino
or latte

49 HKD

31 HKD
73 HKD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

37 HKD

31 HKD
41 HKD

Loaf of
bread

5.3 HKD

4.6 HKD
6.1 HKD

12
eggs

37 HKD

31 HKD
46 HKD

Fresh whole
chicken

85 HKD

67 HKD
100 HKD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

97 HKD

82 HKD
120 HKD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

52 HKD

46 HKD
61 HKD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

24 HKD

20 HKD
31 HKD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

26 HKD

23 HKD
28 HKD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

25 HKD

22 HKD
28 HKD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

37 HKD

31 HKD
73 HKD

Average car
full tank

240 HKD

180 HKD
490 HKD

Average car
1-day rental

240 HKD

180 HKD
370 HKD

Average car
price

180,000 HKD

92,000 HKD
240,000 HKD

Bus ticket
one way

9.2 HKD

6.1 HKD
18 HKD

Car
Service

370 HKD

240 HKD
730 HKD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,800 HKD

440 HKD
3,700 HKD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

2,200 HKD

550 HKD
4,400 HKD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

3,500 HKD

770 HKD
4,000 HKD

Internet
and cable

370 HKD

180 HKD
490 HKD

Mobile phone
charges

240 HKD

150 HKD
730 HKD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

120 HKD

92 HKD
180 HKD

One month gym
membership

370 HKD

290 HKD
730 HKD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

310 HKD

220 HKD
460 HKD

Woman
dress

280 HKD

200 HKD
920 HKD

Woman
shoes

260 HKD

190 HKD
610 HKD

Men
shoes

200 HKD

170 HKD
410 HKD

Men
suit

230 HKD

180 HKD
1,200 HKD

Regular
t-shirt

120 HKD

92 HKD
370 HKD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

4,600 HKD

3,100 HKD
12,000 HKD

1-bedroom
apartment

7,300 HKD

4,600 HKD
18,000 HKD

2-bedroom
apartment

9,200 HKD

6,100 HKD
24,000 HKD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

920,000 HKD

610,000 HKD
1,800,000 HKD

1-bedroom
apartment

1,200,000 HKD

730,000 HKD
4,600,000 HKD

2-bedroom
apartment

3,700,000 HKD

1,200,000 HKD
7,300,000 HKD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

4,600 HKD

3,700 HKD
6,100 HKD

Double
Bed

3,700 HKD

2,400 HKD
4,600 HKD

Single
Bed

2,800 HKD

2,200 HKD
3,700 HKD

Living
Room

5,200 HKD

4,100 HKD
18,000 HKD

Dining
Table

2,400 HKD

1,800 HKD
4,600 HKD

Sofa
or Couch

3,300 HKD

2,400 HKD
7,300 HKD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

3,700 HKD

2,400 HKD
7,300 HKD

Fridge
or Freezer

3,300 HKD

2,200 HKD
4,600 HKD

Washing
Machine

4,100 HKD

2,800 HKD
7,300 HKD

Stove
or Cooker

3,300 HKD

2,600 HKD
4,600 HKD

Mobile
Phone

3,700 HKD

3,100 HKD
5,200 HKD

Laptop
or Computer

4,100 HKD

3,300 HKD
7,300 HKD

How do people spend their money in Hong Kong?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Hong Kong

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW2,600 HKD
AVERAGE11,000 HKD
HIGH22,000 HKD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW440 HKD
AVERAGE1,800 HKD
HIGH3,700 HKD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW590 HKD
AVERAGE2,400 HKD
HIGH5,000 HKD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,200 HKD
AVERAGE4,700 HKD
HIGH10,000 HKD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW660 HKD
AVERAGE2,600 HKD
HIGH5,600 HKD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW370 HKD
AVERAGE1,500 HKD
HIGH3,100 HKD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW150 HKD
AVERAGE590 HKD
HIGH1,200 HKD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,300 HKD
AVERAGE5,300 HKD
HIGH11,000 HKD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Hong Kong

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW3,600 HKD
AVERAGE18,000 HKD
HIGH29,000 HKD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW550 HKD
AVERAGE2,200 HKD
HIGH4,400 HKD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,300 HKD
AVERAGE6,600 HKD
HIGH11,000 HKD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,500 HKD
AVERAGE7,700 HKD
HIGH12,000 HKD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,200 HKD
AVERAGE6,100 HKD
HIGH9,700 HKD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW660 HKD
AVERAGE3,300 HKD
HIGH5,300 HKD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW220 HKD
AVERAGE1,100 HKD
HIGH1,800 HKD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,900 HKD
AVERAGE9,400 HKD
HIGH15,000 HKD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Hong Kong

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW8,200 HKD
AVERAGE28,000 HKD
HIGH42,000 HKD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW770 HKD
AVERAGE3,500 HKD
HIGH4,000 HKD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW2,100 HKD
AVERAGE7,100 HKD
HIGH11,000 HKD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW4,600 HKD
AVERAGE16,000 HKD
HIGH24,000 HKD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW2,100 HKD
AVERAGE7,100 HKD
HIGH11,000 HKD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,300 HKD
AVERAGE4,400 HKD
HIGH6,600 HKD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW3,600 HKD
AVERAGE12,000 HKD
HIGH19,000 HKD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW3,100 HKD
AVERAGE11,000 HKD
HIGH16,000 HKD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Hong Kong

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW880 HKD
AVERAGE5,300 HKD
HIGH11,000 HKD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW150 HKD
AVERAGE880 HKD
HIGH1,900 HKD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW260 HKD
AVERAGE1,500 HKD
HIGH3,300 HKD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW730 HKD
AVERAGE4,400 HKD
HIGH9,500 HKD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW220 HKD
AVERAGE1,300 HKD
HIGH2,900 HKD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW180 HKD
AVERAGE1,100 HKD
HIGH2,400 HKD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW700 HKD
AVERAGE4,200 HKD
HIGH9,100 HKD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW550 HKD
AVERAGE3,300 HKD
HIGH7,200 HKD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Hong Kong typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 16,000 HKD with expenditure ranging from 3,800 HKD and 26,000 HKD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Hong Kong ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 2,100 HKD with 480 HKD and 3,500 HKD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 1,100 HKD to 7,400 HKD on commuting with 4,400 HKD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Hong Kong is 8,200 HKD. The cost of groceries can range between 2,000 HKD to 14,000 HKD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Hong Kong allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 1,000 HKD to 7,200 HKD with 4,300 HKD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 620 HKD to 4,400 HKD with 2,600 HKD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 4,600 HKD per month with 1,200 HKD being the minimum spent amount and 7,600 HKD being the maximum.

©copound