Cost Of Living in Hungary

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Hungary

Whether you're living in Hungary or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
400,000 HUF
average per month
99,000 HUF
Range
840,000 HUF

Couple
740,000 HUF
average per month
150,000 HUF
Range
1,200,000 HUF

Family
1,200,000 HUF
average per month
350,000 HUF
Range
1,800,000 HUF

Student
300,000 HUF
average per month
49,000 HUF
Range
640,000 HUF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Hungary is 400,000 HUF. Expenses can range from 99,000 HUF at the minimum level to 840,000 HUF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Hungary is 740,000 HUF. Expenditure can range from 150,000 HUF to 1,200,000 HUF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Hungary is 1,200,000 HUF per month. Families spend anywhere from 350,000 HUF to 1,800,000 HUF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Hungary is 300,000 HUF. Students spend from 49,000 HUF to 640,000 HUF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Hungary

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

99 HUF

99 HUF
99 HUF

Fast food
combo meal

990 HUF

710 HUF
1,600 HUF

Restaurant
meal for one

3,300 HUF

2,600 HUF
4,100 HUF

Fine dining
meal for one

8,200 HUF

5,500 HUF
9,900 HUF

Soda
Soft Drink

82 HUF

82 HUF
82 HUF

Cappuccino
or latte

660 HUF

410 HUF
990 HUF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

490 HUF

410 HUF
550 HUF

Loaf of
bread

71 HUF

62 HUF
82 HUF

12
eggs

490 HUF

410 HUF
620 HUF

Fresh whole
chicken

1,200 HUF

900 HUF
1,400 HUF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

1,300 HUF

1,100 HUF
1,600 HUF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

710 HUF

620 HUF
820 HUF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

330 HUF

270 HUF
410 HUF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

350 HUF

310 HUF
380 HUF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

340 HUF

300 HUF
380 HUF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

490 HUF

410 HUF
990 HUF

Average car
full tank

3,300 HUF

2,500 HUF
6,600 HUF

Average car
1-day rental

3,300 HUF

2,500 HUF
4,900 HUF

Average car
price

2,500,000 HUF

1,200,000 HUF
3,300,000 HUF

Bus ticket
one way

120 HUF

82 HUF
250 HUF

Car
Service

4,900 HUF

3,300 HUF
9,900 HUF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

24,000 HUF

5,900 HUF
50,000 HUF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

30,000 HUF

7,400 HUF
59,000 HUF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

48,000 HUF

10,000 HUF
53,000 HUF

Internet
and cable

4,900 HUF

2,500 HUF
6,600 HUF

Mobile phone
charges

3,300 HUF

2,000 HUF
9,900 HUF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,600 HUF

1,200 HUF
2,500 HUF

One month gym
membership

4,900 HUF

4,000 HUF
9,900 HUF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

4,100 HUF

2,900 HUF
6,200 HUF

Woman
dress

3,800 HUF

2,700 HUF
12,000 HUF

Woman
shoes

3,500 HUF

2,600 HUF
8,200 HUF

Men
shoes

2,700 HUF

2,200 HUF
5,500 HUF

Men
suit

3,100 HUF

2,500 HUF
16,000 HUF

Regular
t-shirt

1,600 HUF

1,200 HUF
4,900 HUF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

62,000 HUF

41,000 HUF
160,000 HUF

1-bedroom
apartment

99,000 HUF

62,000 HUF
250,000 HUF

2-bedroom
apartment

120,000 HUF

82,000 HUF
330,000 HUF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

12,000,000 HUF

8,200,000 HUF
25,000,000 HUF

1-bedroom
apartment

16,000,000 HUF

9,900,000 HUF
62,000,000 HUF

2-bedroom
apartment

49,000,000 HUF

16,000,000 HUF
99,000,000 HUF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

62,000 HUF

49,000 HUF
82,000 HUF

Double
Bed

49,000 HUF

33,000 HUF
62,000 HUF

Single
Bed

38,000 HUF

29,000 HUF
49,000 HUF

Living
Room

71,000 HUF

55,000 HUF
250,000 HUF

Dining
Table

33,000 HUF

25,000 HUF
62,000 HUF

Sofa
or Couch

45,000 HUF

33,000 HUF
99,000 HUF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

49,000 HUF

33,000 HUF
99,000 HUF

Fridge
or Freezer

45,000 HUF

29,000 HUF
62,000 HUF

Washing
Machine

55,000 HUF

38,000 HUF
99,000 HUF

Stove
or Cooker

45,000 HUF

35,000 HUF
62,000 HUF

Mobile
Phone

49,000 HUF

41,000 HUF
71,000 HUF

Laptop
or Computer

55,000 HUF

45,000 HUF
99,000 HUF

How do people spend their money in Hungary?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Hungary

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW36,000 HUF
AVERAGE140,000 HUF
HIGH300,000 HUF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,900 HUF
AVERAGE24,000 HUF
HIGH50,000 HUF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW7,900 HUF
AVERAGE32,000 HUF
HIGH67,000 HUF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW16,000 HUF
AVERAGE63,000 HUF
HIGH130,000 HUF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW8,900 HUF
AVERAGE36,000 HUF
HIGH76,000 HUF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW4,900 HUF
AVERAGE20,000 HUF
HIGH42,000 HUF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,000 HUF
AVERAGE7,900 HUF
HIGH17,000 HUF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW18,000 HUF
AVERAGE71,000 HUF
HIGH150,000 HUF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Hungary

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW49,000 HUF
AVERAGE240,000 HUF
HIGH390,000 HUF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW7,400 HUF
AVERAGE30,000 HUF
HIGH59,000 HUF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW18,000 HUF
AVERAGE89,000 HUF
HIGH140,000 HUF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW21,000 HUF
AVERAGE100,000 HUF
HIGH170,000 HUF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW16,000 HUF
AVERAGE82,000 HUF
HIGH130,000 HUF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW8,900 HUF
AVERAGE45,000 HUF
HIGH71,000 HUF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW3,000 HUF
AVERAGE15,000 HUF
HIGH24,000 HUF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW25,000 HUF
AVERAGE130,000 HUF
HIGH200,000 HUF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Hungary

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW110,000 HUF
AVERAGE380,000 HUF
HIGH570,000 HUF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW10,000 HUF
AVERAGE48,000 HUF
HIGH53,000 HUF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW28,000 HUF
AVERAGE95,000 HUF
HIGH140,000 HUF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW62,000 HUF
AVERAGE210,000 HUF
HIGH320,000 HUF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW28,000 HUF
AVERAGE95,000 HUF
HIGH140,000 HUF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW17,000 HUF
AVERAGE59,000 HUF
HIGH89,000 HUF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW48,000 HUF
AVERAGE170,000 HUF
HIGH250,000 HUF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW42,000 HUF
AVERAGE140,000 HUF
HIGH210,000 HUF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Hungary

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW12,000 HUF
AVERAGE71,000 HUF
HIGH150,000 HUF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW2,000 HUF
AVERAGE12,000 HUF
HIGH26,000 HUF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW3,500 HUF
AVERAGE21,000 HUF
HIGH45,000 HUF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW9,900 HUF
AVERAGE59,000 HUF
HIGH130,000 HUF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW3,000 HUF
AVERAGE18,000 HUF
HIGH39,000 HUF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,500 HUF
AVERAGE15,000 HUF
HIGH32,000 HUF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW9,400 HUF
AVERAGE56,000 HUF
HIGH120,000 HUF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW7,400 HUF
AVERAGE45,000 HUF
HIGH96,000 HUF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Hungary typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 210,000 HUF with expenditure ranging from 52,000 HUF and 350,000 HUF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Hungary ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 28,000 HUF with 6,400 HUF and 47,000 HUF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 14,000 HUF to 99,000 HUF on commuting with 59,000 HUF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Hungary is 110,000 HUF. The cost of groceries can range between 27,000 HUF to 190,000 HUF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Hungary allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 14,000 HUF to 97,000 HUF with 58,000 HUF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 8,400 HUF to 59,000 HUF with 35,000 HUF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 61,000 HUF per month with 16,000 HUF being the minimum spent amount and 100,000 HUF being the maximum.

©copound