Cost Of Living in Indonesia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Indonesia

Whether you're living in Indonesia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
9,800,000 IDR
average per month
2,400,000 IDR
Range
21,000,000 IDR

Couple
18,000,000 IDR
average per month
3,700,000 IDR
Range
29,000,000 IDR

Family
29,000,000 IDR
average per month
8,500,000 IDR
Range
44,000,000 IDR

Student
7,300,000 IDR
average per month
1,200,000 IDR
Range
16,000,000 IDR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Indonesia is 9,800,000 IDR. Expenses can range from 2,400,000 IDR at the minimum level to 21,000,000 IDR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Indonesia is 18,000,000 IDR. Expenditure can range from 3,700,000 IDR to 29,000,000 IDR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Indonesia is 29,000,000 IDR per month. Families spend anywhere from 8,500,000 IDR to 44,000,000 IDR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Indonesia is 7,300,000 IDR. Students spend from 1,200,000 IDR to 16,000,000 IDR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Indonesia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

2,400 IDR

2,400 IDR
2,400 IDR

Fast food
combo meal

24,000 IDR

17,000 IDR
41,000 IDR

Restaurant
meal for one

81,000 IDR

64,000 IDR
100,000 IDR

Fine dining
meal for one

200,000 IDR

140,000 IDR
240,000 IDR

Soda
Soft Drink

2,000 IDR

2,000 IDR
2,000 IDR

Cappuccino
or latte

16,000 IDR

10,000 IDR
24,000 IDR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

12,000 IDR

10,000 IDR
14,000 IDR

Loaf of
bread

1,700 IDR

1,500 IDR
2,000 IDR

12
eggs

12,000 IDR

10,000 IDR
15,000 IDR

Fresh whole
chicken

28,000 IDR

22,000 IDR
35,000 IDR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

32,000 IDR

27,000 IDR
41,000 IDR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

17,000 IDR

15,000 IDR
20,000 IDR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

8,100 IDR

6,800 IDR
10,000 IDR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

8,700 IDR

7,600 IDR
9,400 IDR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

8,400 IDR

7,400 IDR
9,400 IDR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

12,000 IDR

10,000 IDR
24,000 IDR

Average car
full tank

81,000 IDR

61,000 IDR
160,000 IDR

Average car
1-day rental

81,000 IDR

61,000 IDR
120,000 IDR

Average car
price

61,000,000 IDR

30,000,000 IDR
81,000,000 IDR

Bus ticket
one way

3,000 IDR

2,000 IDR
6,100 IDR

Car
Service

120,000 IDR

81,000 IDR
240,000 IDR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

590,000 IDR

150,000 IDR
1,200,000 IDR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

730,000 IDR

180,000 IDR
1,500,000 IDR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,200,000 IDR

260,000 IDR
1,300,000 IDR

Internet
and cable

120,000 IDR

61,000 IDR
160,000 IDR

Mobile phone
charges

81,000 IDR

49,000 IDR
240,000 IDR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

41,000 IDR

30,000 IDR
61,000 IDR

One month gym
membership

120,000 IDR

98,000 IDR
240,000 IDR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

100,000 IDR

72,000 IDR
150,000 IDR

Woman
dress

94,000 IDR

68,000 IDR
300,000 IDR

Woman
shoes

87,000 IDR

64,000 IDR
200,000 IDR

Men
shoes

68,000 IDR

55,000 IDR
140,000 IDR

Men
suit

76,000 IDR

61,000 IDR
410,000 IDR

Regular
t-shirt

41,000 IDR

30,000 IDR
120,000 IDR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,500,000 IDR

1,000,000 IDR
4,100,000 IDR

1-bedroom
apartment

2,400,000 IDR

1,500,000 IDR
6,100,000 IDR

2-bedroom
apartment

3,000,000 IDR

2,000,000 IDR
8,100,000 IDR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

300,000,000 IDR

200,000,000 IDR
610,000,000 IDR

1-bedroom
apartment

410,000,000 IDR

240,000,000 IDR
1,500,000,000 IDR

2-bedroom
apartment

1,200,000,000 IDR

410,000,000 IDR
2,400,000,000 IDR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,500,000 IDR

1,200,000 IDR
2,000,000 IDR

Double
Bed

1,200,000 IDR

810,000 IDR
1,500,000 IDR

Single
Bed

940,000 IDR

720,000 IDR
1,200,000 IDR

Living
Room

1,700,000 IDR

1,400,000 IDR
6,100,000 IDR

Dining
Table

810,000 IDR

610,000 IDR
1,500,000 IDR

Sofa
or Couch

1,100,000 IDR

810,000 IDR
2,400,000 IDR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,200,000 IDR

810,000 IDR
2,400,000 IDR

Fridge
or Freezer

1,100,000 IDR

720,000 IDR
1,500,000 IDR

Washing
Machine

1,400,000 IDR

940,000 IDR
2,400,000 IDR

Stove
or Cooker

1,100,000 IDR

870,000 IDR
1,500,000 IDR

Mobile
Phone

1,200,000 IDR

1,000,000 IDR
1,700,000 IDR

Laptop
or Computer

1,400,000 IDR

1,100,000 IDR
2,400,000 IDR

How do people spend their money in Indonesia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Indonesia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW880,000 IDR
AVERAGE3,500,000 IDR
HIGH7,500,000 IDR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW150,000 IDR
AVERAGE590,000 IDR
HIGH1,200,000 IDR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW200,000 IDR
AVERAGE780,000 IDR
HIGH1,700,000 IDR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW390,000 IDR
AVERAGE1,600,000 IDR
HIGH3,300,000 IDR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW220,000 IDR
AVERAGE880,000 IDR
HIGH1,900,000 IDR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW120,000 IDR
AVERAGE490,000 IDR
HIGH1,000,000 IDR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW49,000 IDR
AVERAGE200,000 IDR
HIGH410,000 IDR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW440,000 IDR
AVERAGE1,800,000 IDR
HIGH3,700,000 IDR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Indonesia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,200,000 IDR
AVERAGE6,000,000 IDR
HIGH9,700,000 IDR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW180,000 IDR
AVERAGE730,000 IDR
HIGH1,500,000 IDR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW440,000 IDR
AVERAGE2,200,000 IDR
HIGH3,500,000 IDR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW510,000 IDR
AVERAGE2,600,000 IDR
HIGH4,100,000 IDR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW400,000 IDR
AVERAGE2,000,000 IDR
HIGH3,200,000 IDR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW220,000 IDR
AVERAGE1,100,000 IDR
HIGH1,800,000 IDR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW73,000 IDR
AVERAGE370,000 IDR
HIGH590,000 IDR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW620,000 IDR
AVERAGE3,100,000 IDR
HIGH5,000,000 IDR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Indonesia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW2,700,000 IDR
AVERAGE9,400,000 IDR
HIGH14,000,000 IDR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW260,000 IDR
AVERAGE1,200,000 IDR
HIGH1,300,000 IDR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW680,000 IDR
AVERAGE2,300,000 IDR
HIGH3,500,000 IDR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,500,000 IDR
AVERAGE5,300,000 IDR
HIGH7,900,000 IDR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW680,000 IDR
AVERAGE2,300,000 IDR
HIGH3,500,000 IDR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW430,000 IDR
AVERAGE1,500,000 IDR
HIGH2,200,000 IDR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,200,000 IDR
AVERAGE4,100,000 IDR
HIGH6,100,000 IDR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,000,000 IDR
AVERAGE3,500,000 IDR
HIGH5,300,000 IDR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Indonesia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW290,000 IDR
AVERAGE1,800,000 IDR
HIGH3,800,000 IDR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW49,000 IDR
AVERAGE290,000 IDR
HIGH630,000 IDR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW85,000 IDR
AVERAGE510,000 IDR
HIGH1,100,000 IDR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW240,000 IDR
AVERAGE1,500,000 IDR
HIGH3,200,000 IDR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW73,000 IDR
AVERAGE440,000 IDR
HIGH950,000 IDR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW61,000 IDR
AVERAGE370,000 IDR
HIGH790,000 IDR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW230,000 IDR
AVERAGE1,400,000 IDR
HIGH3,000,000 IDR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW180,000 IDR
AVERAGE1,100,000 IDR
HIGH2,400,000 IDR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Indonesia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 5,200,000 IDR with expenditure ranging from 1,300,000 IDR and 8,700,000 IDR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Indonesia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 690,000 IDR with 160,000 IDR and 1,200,000 IDR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 350,000 IDR to 2,400,000 IDR on commuting with 1,500,000 IDR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Indonesia is 2,700,000 IDR. The cost of groceries can range between 670,000 IDR to 4,600,000 IDR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Indonesia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 340,000 IDR to 2,400,000 IDR with 1,400,000 IDR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 210,000 IDR to 1,400,000 IDR with 850,000 IDR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,500,000 IDR per month with 390,000 IDR being the minimum spent amount and 2,500,000 IDR being the maximum.

©copound