Cost Of Living in Iran

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Iran

Whether you're living in Iran or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
36,000,000 IRR
average per month
9,000,000 IRR
Range
76,000,000 IRR

Couple
67,000,000 IRR
average per month
13,000,000 IRR
Range
110,000,000 IRR

Family
110,000,000 IRR
average per month
31,000,000 IRR
Range
160,000,000 IRR

Student
27,000,000 IRR
average per month
4,500,000 IRR
Range
58,000,000 IRR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Iran is 36,000,000 IRR. Expenses can range from 9,000,000 IRR at the minimum level to 76,000,000 IRR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Iran is 67,000,000 IRR. Expenditure can range from 13,000,000 IRR to 110,000,000 IRR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Iran is 110,000,000 IRR per month. Families spend anywhere from 31,000,000 IRR to 160,000,000 IRR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Iran is 27,000,000 IRR. Students spend from 4,500,000 IRR to 58,000,000 IRR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Iran

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

9,000 IRR

9,000 IRR
9,000 IRR

Fast food
combo meal

90,000 IRR

64,000 IRR
150,000 IRR

Restaurant
meal for one

300,000 IRR

240,000 IRR
370,000 IRR

Fine dining
meal for one

750,000 IRR

500,000 IRR
900,000 IRR

Soda
Soft Drink

7,500 IRR

7,500 IRR
7,500 IRR

Cappuccino
or latte

60,000 IRR

37,000 IRR
90,000 IRR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

45,000 IRR

37,000 IRR
50,000 IRR

Loaf of
bread

6,400 IRR

5,600 IRR
7,500 IRR

12
eggs

45,000 IRR

37,000 IRR
56,000 IRR

Fresh whole
chicken

100,000 IRR

82,000 IRR
130,000 IRR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

120,000 IRR

100,000 IRR
150,000 IRR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

64,000 IRR

56,000 IRR
75,000 IRR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

30,000 IRR

25,000 IRR
37,000 IRR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

32,000 IRR

28,000 IRR
35,000 IRR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

31,000 IRR

27,000 IRR
35,000 IRR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

45,000 IRR

37,000 IRR
90,000 IRR

Average car
full tank

300,000 IRR

220,000 IRR
600,000 IRR

Average car
1-day rental

300,000 IRR

220,000 IRR
450,000 IRR

Average car
price

220,000,000 IRR

110,000,000 IRR
300,000,000 IRR

Bus ticket
one way

11,000 IRR

7,500 IRR
22,000 IRR

Car
Service

450,000 IRR

300,000 IRR
900,000 IRR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

2,200,000 IRR

540,000 IRR
4,600,000 IRR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

2,700,000 IRR

670,000 IRR
5,400,000 IRR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

4,300,000 IRR

940,000 IRR
4,900,000 IRR

Internet
and cable

450,000 IRR

220,000 IRR
600,000 IRR

Mobile phone
charges

300,000 IRR

180,000 IRR
900,000 IRR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

150,000 IRR

110,000 IRR
220,000 IRR

One month gym
membership

450,000 IRR

360,000 IRR
900,000 IRR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

370,000 IRR

260,000 IRR
560,000 IRR

Woman
dress

350,000 IRR

250,000 IRR
1,100,000 IRR

Woman
shoes

320,000 IRR

240,000 IRR
750,000 IRR

Men
shoes

250,000 IRR

200,000 IRR
500,000 IRR

Men
suit

280,000 IRR

220,000 IRR
1,500,000 IRR

Regular
t-shirt

150,000 IRR

110,000 IRR
450,000 IRR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

5,600,000 IRR

3,700,000 IRR
15,000,000 IRR

1-bedroom
apartment

9,000,000 IRR

5,600,000 IRR
22,000,000 IRR

2-bedroom
apartment

11,000,000 IRR

7,500,000 IRR
30,000,000 IRR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

1,100,000,000 IRR

750,000,000 IRR
2,200,000,000 IRR

1-bedroom
apartment

1,500,000,000 IRR

900,000,000 IRR
5,600,000,000 IRR

2-bedroom
apartment

4,500,000,000 IRR

1,500,000,000 IRR
9,000,000,000 IRR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

5,600,000 IRR

4,500,000 IRR
7,500,000 IRR

Double
Bed

4,500,000 IRR

3,000,000 IRR
5,600,000 IRR

Single
Bed

3,500,000 IRR

2,600,000 IRR
4,500,000 IRR

Living
Room

6,400,000 IRR

5,000,000 IRR
22,000,000 IRR

Dining
Table

3,000,000 IRR

2,200,000 IRR
5,600,000 IRR

Sofa
or Couch

4,100,000 IRR

3,000,000 IRR
9,000,000 IRR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

4,500,000 IRR

3,000,000 IRR
9,000,000 IRR

Fridge
or Freezer

4,100,000 IRR

2,600,000 IRR
5,600,000 IRR

Washing
Machine

5,000,000 IRR

3,500,000 IRR
9,000,000 IRR

Stove
or Cooker

4,100,000 IRR

3,200,000 IRR
5,600,000 IRR

Mobile
Phone

4,500,000 IRR

3,700,000 IRR
6,400,000 IRR

Laptop
or Computer

5,000,000 IRR

4,100,000 IRR
9,000,000 IRR

How do people spend their money in Iran?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Iran

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW3,200,000 IRR
AVERAGE13,000,000 IRR
HIGH28,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW540,000 IRR
AVERAGE2,200,000 IRR
HIGH4,600,000 IRR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW720,000 IRR
AVERAGE2,900,000 IRR
HIGH6,100,000 IRR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,400,000 IRR
AVERAGE5,800,000 IRR
HIGH12,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW810,000 IRR
AVERAGE3,200,000 IRR
HIGH6,900,000 IRR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW450,000 IRR
AVERAGE1,800,000 IRR
HIGH3,800,000 IRR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW180,000 IRR
AVERAGE720,000 IRR
HIGH1,500,000 IRR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,600,000 IRR
AVERAGE6,500,000 IRR
HIGH14,000,000 IRR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Iran

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW4,400,000 IRR
AVERAGE22,000,000 IRR
HIGH36,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW670,000 IRR
AVERAGE2,700,000 IRR
HIGH5,400,000 IRR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,600,000 IRR
AVERAGE8,100,000 IRR
HIGH13,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,900,000 IRR
AVERAGE9,400,000 IRR
HIGH15,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,500,000 IRR
AVERAGE7,400,000 IRR
HIGH12,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW810,000 IRR
AVERAGE4,000,000 IRR
HIGH6,500,000 IRR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW270,000 IRR
AVERAGE1,300,000 IRR
HIGH2,200,000 IRR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW2,300,000 IRR
AVERAGE11,000,000 IRR
HIGH18,000,000 IRR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Iran

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW10,000,000 IRR
AVERAGE35,000,000 IRR
HIGH52,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW940,000 IRR
AVERAGE4,300,000 IRR
HIGH4,900,000 IRR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW2,500,000 IRR
AVERAGE8,600,000 IRR
HIGH13,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW5,700,000 IRR
AVERAGE19,000,000 IRR
HIGH29,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW2,500,000 IRR
AVERAGE8,600,000 IRR
HIGH13,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,600,000 IRR
AVERAGE5,400,000 IRR
HIGH8,100,000 IRR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW4,400,000 IRR
AVERAGE15,000,000 IRR
HIGH23,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW3,800,000 IRR
AVERAGE13,000,000 IRR
HIGH19,000,000 IRR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Iran

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW1,100,000 IRR
AVERAGE6,500,000 IRR
HIGH14,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW180,000 IRR
AVERAGE1,100,000 IRR
HIGH2,300,000 IRR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW310,000 IRR
AVERAGE1,900,000 IRR
HIGH4,100,000 IRR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW900,000 IRR
AVERAGE5,400,000 IRR
HIGH12,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW270,000 IRR
AVERAGE1,600,000 IRR
HIGH3,500,000 IRR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW220,000 IRR
AVERAGE1,300,000 IRR
HIGH2,900,000 IRR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW850,000 IRR
AVERAGE5,100,000 IRR
HIGH11,000,000 IRR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW670,000 IRR
AVERAGE4,000,000 IRR
HIGH8,800,000 IRR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Iran typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 19,000,000 IRR with expenditure ranging from 4,700,000 IRR and 32,000,000 IRR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Iran ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 2,600,000 IRR with 580,000 IRR and 4,300,000 IRR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 1,300,000 IRR to 9,000,000 IRR on commuting with 5,400,000 IRR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Iran is 10,000,000 IRR. The cost of groceries can range between 2,500,000 IRR to 17,000,000 IRR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Iran allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 1,300,000 IRR to 8,800,000 IRR with 5,200,000 IRR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 760,000 IRR to 5,300,000 IRR with 3,100,000 IRR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 5,600,000 IRR per month with 1,400,000 IRR being the minimum spent amount and 9,400,000 IRR being the maximum.

Tehran  
©copound