Cost Of Living in Iraq

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Iraq

Whether you're living in Iraq or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,600,000 IQD
average per month
410,000 IQD
Range
3,500,000 IQD

Couple
3,100,000 IQD
average per month
620,000 IQD
Range
4,900,000 IQD

Family
4,900,000 IQD
average per month
1,400,000 IQD
Range
7,400,000 IQD

Student
1,200,000 IQD
average per month
210,000 IQD
Range
2,700,000 IQD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Iraq is 1,600,000 IQD. Expenses can range from 410,000 IQD at the minimum level to 3,500,000 IQD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Iraq is 3,100,000 IQD. Expenditure can range from 620,000 IQD to 4,900,000 IQD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Iraq is 4,900,000 IQD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,400,000 IQD to 7,400,000 IQD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Iraq is 1,200,000 IQD. Students spend from 210,000 IQD to 2,700,000 IQD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Iraq

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

410 IQD

410 IQD
410 IQD

Fast food
combo meal

4,100 IQD

2,900 IQD
6,900 IQD

Restaurant
meal for one

14,000 IQD

11,000 IQD
17,000 IQD

Fine dining
meal for one

34,000 IQD

23,000 IQD
41,000 IQD

Soda
Soft Drink

340 IQD

340 IQD
340 IQD

Cappuccino
or latte

2,700 IQD

1,700 IQD
4,100 IQD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2,100 IQD

1,700 IQD
2,300 IQD

Loaf of
bread

290 IQD

260 IQD
340 IQD

12
eggs

2,100 IQD

1,700 IQD
2,600 IQD

Fresh whole
chicken

4,800 IQD

3,700 IQD
5,900 IQD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

5,400 IQD

4,600 IQD
6,900 IQD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2,900 IQD

2,600 IQD
3,400 IQD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1,400 IQD

1,100 IQD
1,700 IQD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1,500 IQD

1,300 IQD
1,600 IQD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1,400 IQD

1,200 IQD
1,600 IQD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2,100 IQD

1,700 IQD
4,100 IQD

Average car
full tank

14,000 IQD

10,000 IQD
27,000 IQD

Average car
1-day rental

14,000 IQD

10,000 IQD
21,000 IQD

Average car
price

10,000,000 IQD

5,100,000 IQD
14,000,000 IQD

Bus ticket
one way

510 IQD

340 IQD
1,000 IQD

Car
Service

21,000 IQD

14,000 IQD
41,000 IQD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

99,000 IQD

25,000 IQD
210,000 IQD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

120,000 IQD

31,000 IQD
250,000 IQD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

200,000 IQD

43,000 IQD
220,000 IQD

Internet
and cable

21,000 IQD

10,000 IQD
27,000 IQD

Mobile phone
charges

14,000 IQD

8,200 IQD
41,000 IQD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

6,900 IQD

5,100 IQD
10,000 IQD

One month gym
membership

21,000 IQD

16,000 IQD
41,000 IQD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

17,000 IQD

12,000 IQD
26,000 IQD

Woman
dress

16,000 IQD

11,000 IQD
51,000 IQD

Woman
shoes

15,000 IQD

11,000 IQD
34,000 IQD

Men
shoes

11,000 IQD

9,300 IQD
23,000 IQD

Men
suit

13,000 IQD

10,000 IQD
69,000 IQD

Regular
t-shirt

6,900 IQD

5,100 IQD
21,000 IQD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

260,000 IQD

170,000 IQD
690,000 IQD

1-bedroom
apartment

410,000 IQD

260,000 IQD
1,000,000 IQD

2-bedroom
apartment

510,000 IQD

340,000 IQD
1,400,000 IQD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

51,000,000 IQD

34,000,000 IQD
100,000,000 IQD

1-bedroom
apartment

69,000,000 IQD

41,000,000 IQD
260,000,000 IQD

2-bedroom
apartment

210,000,000 IQD

69,000,000 IQD
410,000,000 IQD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

260,000 IQD

210,000 IQD
340,000 IQD

Double
Bed

210,000 IQD

140,000 IQD
260,000 IQD

Single
Bed

160,000 IQD

120,000 IQD
210,000 IQD

Living
Room

290,000 IQD

230,000 IQD
1,000,000 IQD

Dining
Table

140,000 IQD

100,000 IQD
260,000 IQD

Sofa
or Couch

190,000 IQD

140,000 IQD
410,000 IQD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

210,000 IQD

140,000 IQD
410,000 IQD

Fridge
or Freezer

190,000 IQD

120,000 IQD
260,000 IQD

Washing
Machine

230,000 IQD

160,000 IQD
410,000 IQD

Stove
or Cooker

190,000 IQD

150,000 IQD
260,000 IQD

Mobile
Phone

210,000 IQD

170,000 IQD
290,000 IQD

Laptop
or Computer

230,000 IQD

190,000 IQD
410,000 IQD

How do people spend their money in Iraq?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Iraq

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW150,000 IQD
AVERAGE590,000 IQD
HIGH1,300,000 IQD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW25,000 IQD
AVERAGE99,000 IQD
HIGH210,000 IQD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW33,000 IQD
AVERAGE130,000 IQD
HIGH280,000 IQD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW66,000 IQD
AVERAGE260,000 IQD
HIGH560,000 IQD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW37,000 IQD
AVERAGE150,000 IQD
HIGH310,000 IQD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW21,000 IQD
AVERAGE82,000 IQD
HIGH170,000 IQD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW8,200 IQD
AVERAGE33,000 IQD
HIGH70,000 IQD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW74,000 IQD
AVERAGE300,000 IQD
HIGH630,000 IQD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Iraq

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW200,000 IQD
AVERAGE1,000,000 IQD
HIGH1,600,000 IQD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW31,000 IQD
AVERAGE120,000 IQD
HIGH250,000 IQD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW74,000 IQD
AVERAGE370,000 IQD
HIGH590,000 IQD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW86,000 IQD
AVERAGE430,000 IQD
HIGH690,000 IQD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW68,000 IQD
AVERAGE340,000 IQD
HIGH540,000 IQD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW37,000 IQD
AVERAGE190,000 IQD
HIGH300,000 IQD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW12,000 IQD
AVERAGE62,000 IQD
HIGH99,000 IQD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW100,000 IQD
AVERAGE520,000 IQD
HIGH840,000 IQD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Iraq

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW460,000 IQD
AVERAGE1,600,000 IQD
HIGH2,400,000 IQD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW43,000 IQD
AVERAGE200,000 IQD
HIGH220,000 IQD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW120,000 IQD
AVERAGE390,000 IQD
HIGH590,000 IQD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW260,000 IQD
AVERAGE890,000 IQD
HIGH1,300,000 IQD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW120,000 IQD
AVERAGE390,000 IQD
HIGH590,000 IQD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW72,000 IQD
AVERAGE250,000 IQD
HIGH370,000 IQD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW200,000 IQD
AVERAGE690,000 IQD
HIGH1,000,000 IQD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW170,000 IQD
AVERAGE590,000 IQD
HIGH890,000 IQD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Iraq

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW49,000 IQD
AVERAGE300,000 IQD
HIGH640,000 IQD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW8,200 IQD
AVERAGE49,000 IQD
HIGH110,000 IQD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW14,000 IQD
AVERAGE86,000 IQD
HIGH190,000 IQD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW41,000 IQD
AVERAGE250,000 IQD
HIGH530,000 IQD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW12,000 IQD
AVERAGE74,000 IQD
HIGH160,000 IQD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW10,000 IQD
AVERAGE62,000 IQD
HIGH130,000 IQD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW39,000 IQD
AVERAGE230,000 IQD
HIGH510,000 IQD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW31,000 IQD
AVERAGE190,000 IQD
HIGH400,000 IQD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Iraq typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 870,000 IQD with expenditure ranging from 220,000 IQD and 1,500,000 IQD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Iraq ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 120,000 IQD with 27,000 IQD and 200,000 IQD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 59,000 IQD to 410,000 IQD on commuting with 250,000 IQD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Iraq is 460,000 IQD. The cost of groceries can range between 110,000 IQD to 780,000 IQD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Iraq allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 58,000 IQD to 400,000 IQD with 240,000 IQD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 35,000 IQD to 240,000 IQD with 140,000 IQD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 260,000 IQD per month with 65,000 IQD being the minimum spent amount and 430,000 IQD being the maximum.

©copound