Cost Of Living in Ireland

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Ireland

Whether you're living in Ireland or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,600 EUR
average per month
640 EUR
Range
5,500 EUR

Couple
4,800 EUR
average per month
970 EUR
Range
7,700 EUR

Family
7,700 EUR
average per month
2,300 EUR
Range
12,000 EUR

Student
1,900 EUR
average per month
320 EUR
Range
4,200 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Ireland is 2,600 EUR. Expenses can range from 640 EUR at the minimum level to 5,500 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Ireland is 4,800 EUR. Expenditure can range from 970 EUR to 7,700 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Ireland is 7,700 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,300 EUR to 12,000 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Ireland is 1,900 EUR. Students spend from 320 EUR to 4,200 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Ireland

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.64 EUR

0.64 EUR
0.64 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

6.4 EUR

4.6 EUR
11 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

21 EUR

17 EUR
27 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

54 EUR

36 EUR
64 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.54 EUR

0.54 EUR
0.54 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

4.3 EUR

2.7 EUR
6.4 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.2 EUR

2.7 EUR
3.6 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.46 EUR

0.40 EUR
0.54 EUR

12
eggs

3.2 EUR

2.7 EUR
4.0 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

7.5 EUR

5.9 EUR
9.2 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

8.5 EUR

7.2 EUR
11 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

4.6 EUR

4.0 EUR
5.4 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.1 EUR

1.8 EUR
2.7 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.3 EUR

2.0 EUR
2.5 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.2 EUR

2.0 EUR
2.5 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.2 EUR

2.7 EUR
6.4 EUR

Average car
full tank

21 EUR

16 EUR
43 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

21 EUR

16 EUR
32 EUR

Average car
price

16,000 EUR

8,000 EUR
21,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

0.80 EUR

0.54 EUR
1.6 EUR

Car
Service

32 EUR

21 EUR
64 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

150 EUR

39 EUR
330 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

190 EUR

48 EUR
390 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

310 EUR

68 EUR
350 EUR

Internet
and cable

32 EUR

16 EUR
43 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

21 EUR

13 EUR
64 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

11 EUR

8.0 EUR
16 EUR

One month gym
membership

32 EUR

26 EUR
64 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

27 EUR

19 EUR
40 EUR

Woman
dress

25 EUR

18 EUR
80 EUR

Woman
shoes

23 EUR

17 EUR
54 EUR

Men
shoes

18 EUR

15 EUR
36 EUR

Men
suit

20 EUR

16 EUR
110 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

11 EUR

8.0 EUR
32 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

400 EUR

270 EUR
1,100 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

640 EUR

400 EUR
1,600 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

800 EUR

540 EUR
2,100 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

80,000 EUR

54,000 EUR
160,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

110,000 EUR

64,000 EUR
400,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

320,000 EUR

110,000 EUR
640,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

400 EUR

320 EUR
540 EUR

Double
Bed

320 EUR

210 EUR
400 EUR

Single
Bed

250 EUR

190 EUR
320 EUR

Living
Room

460 EUR

360 EUR
1,600 EUR

Dining
Table

210 EUR

160 EUR
400 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

290 EUR

210 EUR
640 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

320 EUR

210 EUR
640 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

290 EUR

190 EUR
400 EUR

Washing
Machine

360 EUR

250 EUR
640 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

290 EUR

230 EUR
400 EUR

Mobile
Phone

320 EUR

270 EUR
460 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

360 EUR

290 EUR
640 EUR

How do people spend their money in Ireland?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Ireland

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW230 EUR
AVERAGE930 EUR
HIGH2,000 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW39 EUR
AVERAGE150 EUR
HIGH330 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW51 EUR
AVERAGE210 EUR
HIGH440 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW100 EUR
AVERAGE410 EUR
HIGH880 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW58 EUR
AVERAGE230 EUR
HIGH490 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW32 EUR
AVERAGE130 EUR
HIGH270 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW13 EUR
AVERAGE51 EUR
HIGH110 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE460 EUR
HIGH980 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Ireland

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW320 EUR
AVERAGE1,600 EUR
HIGH2,500 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW48 EUR
AVERAGE190 EUR
HIGH390 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE580 EUR
HIGH930 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW140 EUR
AVERAGE680 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE530 EUR
HIGH850 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW58 EUR
AVERAGE290 EUR
HIGH460 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW19 EUR
AVERAGE97 EUR
HIGH150 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW160 EUR
AVERAGE820 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Ireland

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW720 EUR
AVERAGE2,500 EUR
HIGH3,700 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW68 EUR
AVERAGE310 EUR
HIGH350 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW180 EUR
AVERAGE620 EUR
HIGH930 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW410 EUR
AVERAGE1,400 EUR
HIGH2,100 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW180 EUR
AVERAGE620 EUR
HIGH930 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE390 EUR
HIGH580 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW320 EUR
AVERAGE1,100 EUR
HIGH1,600 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW270 EUR
AVERAGE930 EUR
HIGH1,400 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Ireland

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW77 EUR
AVERAGE460 EUR
HIGH1,000 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW13 EUR
AVERAGE77 EUR
HIGH170 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW23 EUR
AVERAGE140 EUR
HIGH290 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW64 EUR
AVERAGE390 EUR
HIGH840 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW19 EUR
AVERAGE120 EUR
HIGH250 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16 EUR
AVERAGE97 EUR
HIGH210 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW61 EUR
AVERAGE370 EUR
HIGH790 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW48 EUR
AVERAGE290 EUR
HIGH630 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Ireland typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,400 EUR with expenditure ranging from 340 EUR and 2,300 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Ireland ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 180 EUR with 42 EUR and 310 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 92 EUR to 650 EUR on commuting with 380 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Ireland is 720 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 180 EUR to 1,200 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Ireland allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 91 EUR to 630 EUR with 370 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 55 EUR to 380 EUR with 230 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 400 EUR per month with 100 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 670 EUR being the maximum.

©copound