Cost Of Living in Italy

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Italy

Whether you're living in Italy or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,900 EUR
average per month
730 EUR
Range
6,200 EUR

Couple
5,500 EUR
average per month
1,100 EUR
Range
8,800 EUR

Family
8,800 EUR
average per month
2,600 EUR
Range
13,000 EUR

Student
2,200 EUR
average per month
370 EUR
Range
4,800 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Italy is 2,900 EUR. Expenses can range from 730 EUR at the minimum level to 6,200 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Italy is 5,500 EUR. Expenditure can range from 1,100 EUR to 8,800 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Italy is 8,800 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,600 EUR to 13,000 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Italy is 2,200 EUR. Students spend from 370 EUR to 4,800 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Italy

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.73 EUR

0.73 EUR
0.73 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

7.3 EUR

5.2 EUR
12 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

24 EUR

19 EUR
31 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

61 EUR

41 EUR
73 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.61 EUR

0.61 EUR
0.61 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

4.9 EUR

3.1 EUR
7.3 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.7 EUR

3.1 EUR
4.1 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.52 EUR

0.46 EUR
0.61 EUR

12
eggs

3.7 EUR

3.1 EUR
4.6 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

8.5 EUR

6.7 EUR
10 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

9.6 EUR

8.1 EUR
12 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

5.2 EUR

4.6 EUR
6.1 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.4 EUR

2.0 EUR
3.1 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.6 EUR

2.3 EUR
2.8 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.5 EUR

2.2 EUR
2.8 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.7 EUR

3.1 EUR
7.3 EUR

Average car
full tank

24 EUR

18 EUR
49 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

24 EUR

18 EUR
37 EUR

Average car
price

18,000 EUR

9,200 EUR
24,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

0.92 EUR

0.61 EUR
1.8 EUR

Car
Service

37 EUR

24 EUR
73 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

180 EUR

44 EUR
370 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

220 EUR

55 EUR
440 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

350 EUR

77 EUR
400 EUR

Internet
and cable

37 EUR

18 EUR
49 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

24 EUR

15 EUR
73 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

12 EUR

9.2 EUR
18 EUR

One month gym
membership

37 EUR

29 EUR
73 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

31 EUR

22 EUR
46 EUR

Woman
dress

28 EUR

20 EUR
92 EUR

Woman
shoes

26 EUR

19 EUR
61 EUR

Men
shoes

20 EUR

17 EUR
41 EUR

Men
suit

23 EUR

18 EUR
120 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

12 EUR

9.2 EUR
37 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

460 EUR

310 EUR
1,200 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

730 EUR

460 EUR
1,800 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

920 EUR

610 EUR
2,400 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

92,000 EUR

61,000 EUR
180,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

120,000 EUR

73,000 EUR
460,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

370,000 EUR

120,000 EUR
730,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

460 EUR

370 EUR
610 EUR

Double
Bed

370 EUR

240 EUR
460 EUR

Single
Bed

280 EUR

220 EUR
370 EUR

Living
Room

520 EUR

410 EUR
1,800 EUR

Dining
Table

240 EUR

180 EUR
460 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

330 EUR

240 EUR
730 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

370 EUR

240 EUR
730 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

330 EUR

220 EUR
460 EUR

Washing
Machine

410 EUR

280 EUR
730 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

330 EUR

260 EUR
460 EUR

Mobile
Phone

370 EUR

310 EUR
520 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

410 EUR

330 EUR
730 EUR

How do people spend their money in Italy?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Italy

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW260 EUR
AVERAGE1,100 EUR
HIGH2,200 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW44 EUR
AVERAGE180 EUR
HIGH370 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW59 EUR
AVERAGE230 EUR
HIGH500 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE470 EUR
HIGH1,000 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW66 EUR
AVERAGE260 EUR
HIGH560 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW37 EUR
AVERAGE150 EUR
HIGH310 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW15 EUR
AVERAGE59 EUR
HIGH120 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW130 EUR
AVERAGE530 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Italy

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW360 EUR
AVERAGE1,800 EUR
HIGH2,900 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW55 EUR
AVERAGE220 EUR
HIGH440 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW130 EUR
AVERAGE660 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW150 EUR
AVERAGE770 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE600 EUR
HIGH970 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW66 EUR
AVERAGE330 EUR
HIGH530 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW22 EUR
AVERAGE110 EUR
HIGH180 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW190 EUR
AVERAGE930 EUR
HIGH1,500 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Italy

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW820 EUR
AVERAGE2,800 EUR
HIGH4,200 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW77 EUR
AVERAGE350 EUR
HIGH400 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW210 EUR
AVERAGE700 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW460 EUR
AVERAGE1,600 EUR
HIGH2,400 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW210 EUR
AVERAGE700 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW130 EUR
AVERAGE440 EUR
HIGH660 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW360 EUR
AVERAGE1,200 EUR
HIGH1,800 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW310 EUR
AVERAGE1,100 EUR
HIGH1,600 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Italy

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW88 EUR
AVERAGE530 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW15 EUR
AVERAGE88 EUR
HIGH190 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW26 EUR
AVERAGE150 EUR
HIGH330 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW73 EUR
AVERAGE440 EUR
HIGH950 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW22 EUR
AVERAGE130 EUR
HIGH290 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW18 EUR
AVERAGE110 EUR
HIGH240 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW70 EUR
AVERAGE420 EUR
HIGH900 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW55 EUR
AVERAGE330 EUR
HIGH710 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Italy typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,600 EUR with expenditure ranging from 380 EUR and 2,600 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Italy ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 210 EUR with 48 EUR and 350 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 110 EUR to 740 EUR on commuting with 440 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Italy is 810 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 200 EUR to 1,400 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Italy allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 100 EUR to 720 EUR with 430 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 62 EUR to 430 EUR with 260 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 450 EUR per month with 120 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 760 EUR being the maximum.

©copound