Cost Of Living in Jamaica

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Jamaica

Whether you're living in Jamaica or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
77,000 JMD
average per month
19,000 JMD
Range
160,000 JMD

Couple
150,000 JMD
average per month
29,000 JMD
Range
230,000 JMD

Family
230,000 JMD
average per month
68,000 JMD
Range
350,000 JMD

Student
58,000 JMD
average per month
9,700 JMD
Range
130,000 JMD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Jamaica is 77,000 JMD. Expenses can range from 19,000 JMD at the minimum level to 160,000 JMD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Jamaica is 150,000 JMD. Expenditure can range from 29,000 JMD to 230,000 JMD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Jamaica is 230,000 JMD per month. Families spend anywhere from 68,000 JMD to 350,000 JMD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Jamaica is 58,000 JMD. Students spend from 9,700 JMD to 130,000 JMD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Jamaica

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

19 JMD

19 JMD
19 JMD

Fast food
combo meal

190 JMD

140 JMD
320 JMD

Restaurant
meal for one

640 JMD

510 JMD
810 JMD

Fine dining
meal for one

1,600 JMD

1,100 JMD
1,900 JMD

Soda
Soft Drink

16 JMD

16 JMD
16 JMD

Cappuccino
or latte

130 JMD

81 JMD
190 JMD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

97 JMD

81 JMD
110 JMD

Loaf of
bread

14 JMD

12 JMD
16 JMD

12
eggs

97 JMD

81 JMD
120 JMD

Fresh whole
chicken

220 JMD

180 JMD
280 JMD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

250 JMD

210 JMD
320 JMD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

140 JMD

120 JMD
160 JMD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

64 JMD

54 JMD
81 JMD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

69 JMD

60 JMD
74 JMD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

67 JMD

59 JMD
74 JMD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

97 JMD

81 JMD
190 JMD

Average car
full tank

640 JMD

480 JMD
1,300 JMD

Average car
1-day rental

640 JMD

480 JMD
970 JMD

Average car
price

480,000 JMD

240,000 JMD
640,000 JMD

Bus ticket
one way

24 JMD

16 JMD
48 JMD

Car
Service

970 JMD

640 JMD
1,900 JMD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

4,600 JMD

1,200 JMD
9,900 JMD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

5,800 JMD

1,500 JMD
12,000 JMD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

9,300 JMD

2,000 JMD
10,000 JMD

Internet
and cable

970 JMD

480 JMD
1,300 JMD

Mobile phone
charges

640 JMD

390 JMD
1,900 JMD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

320 JMD

240 JMD
480 JMD

One month gym
membership

970 JMD

770 JMD
1,900 JMD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

810 JMD

570 JMD
1,200 JMD

Woman
dress

740 JMD

540 JMD
2,400 JMD

Woman
shoes

690 JMD

510 JMD
1,600 JMD

Men
shoes

540 JMD

440 JMD
1,100 JMD

Men
suit

600 JMD

480 JMD
3,200 JMD

Regular
t-shirt

320 JMD

240 JMD
970 JMD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

12,000 JMD

8,100 JMD
32,000 JMD

1-bedroom
apartment

19,000 JMD

12,000 JMD
48,000 JMD

2-bedroom
apartment

24,000 JMD

16,000 JMD
64,000 JMD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

2,400,000 JMD

1,600,000 JMD
4,800,000 JMD

1-bedroom
apartment

3,200,000 JMD

1,900,000 JMD
12,000,000 JMD

2-bedroom
apartment

9,700,000 JMD

3,200,000 JMD
19,000,000 JMD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

12,000 JMD

9,700 JMD
16,000 JMD

Double
Bed

9,700 JMD

6,400 JMD
12,000 JMD

Single
Bed

7,400 JMD

5,700 JMD
9,700 JMD

Living
Room

14,000 JMD

11,000 JMD
48,000 JMD

Dining
Table

6,400 JMD

4,800 JMD
12,000 JMD

Sofa
or Couch

8,800 JMD

6,400 JMD
19,000 JMD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

9,700 JMD

6,400 JMD
19,000 JMD

Fridge
or Freezer

8,800 JMD

5,700 JMD
12,000 JMD

Washing
Machine

11,000 JMD

7,400 JMD
19,000 JMD

Stove
or Cooker

8,800 JMD

6,900 JMD
12,000 JMD

Mobile
Phone

9,700 JMD

8,100 JMD
14,000 JMD

Laptop
or Computer

11,000 JMD

8,800 JMD
19,000 JMD

How do people spend their money in Jamaica?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Jamaica

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW7,000 JMD
AVERAGE28,000 JMD
HIGH59,000 JMD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,200 JMD
AVERAGE4,600 JMD
HIGH9,900 JMD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW1,500 JMD
AVERAGE6,200 JMD
HIGH13,000 JMD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW3,100 JMD
AVERAGE12,000 JMD
HIGH26,000 JMD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,700 JMD
AVERAGE7,000 JMD
HIGH15,000 JMD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW970 JMD
AVERAGE3,900 JMD
HIGH8,200 JMD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW390 JMD
AVERAGE1,500 JMD
HIGH3,300 JMD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW3,500 JMD
AVERAGE14,000 JMD
HIGH30,000 JMD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Jamaica

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW9,600 JMD
AVERAGE48,000 JMD
HIGH77,000 JMD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW1,500 JMD
AVERAGE5,800 JMD
HIGH12,000 JMD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW3,500 JMD
AVERAGE17,000 JMD
HIGH28,000 JMD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW4,100 JMD
AVERAGE20,000 JMD
HIGH32,000 JMD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW3,200 JMD
AVERAGE16,000 JMD
HIGH26,000 JMD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW1,700 JMD
AVERAGE8,700 JMD
HIGH14,000 JMD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW580 JMD
AVERAGE2,900 JMD
HIGH4,600 JMD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW4,900 JMD
AVERAGE25,000 JMD
HIGH39,000 JMD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Jamaica

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW22,000 JMD
AVERAGE74,000 JMD
HIGH110,000 JMD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW2,000 JMD
AVERAGE9,300 JMD
HIGH10,000 JMD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW5,400 JMD
AVERAGE19,000 JMD
HIGH28,000 JMD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW12,000 JMD
AVERAGE42,000 JMD
HIGH63,000 JMD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW5,400 JMD
AVERAGE19,000 JMD
HIGH28,000 JMD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,400 JMD
AVERAGE12,000 JMD
HIGH17,000 JMD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW9,500 JMD
AVERAGE32,000 JMD
HIGH49,000 JMD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW8,100 JMD
AVERAGE28,000 JMD
HIGH42,000 JMD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Jamaica

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW2,300 JMD
AVERAGE14,000 JMD
HIGH30,000 JMD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW390 JMD
AVERAGE2,300 JMD
HIGH5,000 JMD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW680 JMD
AVERAGE4,100 JMD
HIGH8,800 JMD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW1,900 JMD
AVERAGE12,000 JMD
HIGH25,000 JMD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW580 JMD
AVERAGE3,500 JMD
HIGH7,500 JMD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW480 JMD
AVERAGE2,900 JMD
HIGH6,300 JMD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW1,800 JMD
AVERAGE11,000 JMD
HIGH24,000 JMD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW1,500 JMD
AVERAGE8,700 JMD
HIGH19,000 JMD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Jamaica typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 41,000 JMD with expenditure ranging from 10,000 JMD and 69,000 JMD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Jamaica ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 5,500 JMD with 1,300 JMD and 9,200 JMD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 2,800 JMD to 19,000 JMD on commuting with 12,000 JMD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Jamaica is 22,000 JMD. The cost of groceries can range between 5,300 JMD to 37,000 JMD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Jamaica allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 2,700 JMD to 19,000 JMD with 11,000 JMD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 1,600 JMD to 11,000 JMD with 6,800 JMD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 12,000 JMD per month with 3,100 JMD being the minimum spent amount and 20,000 JMD being the maximum.

©copound