Cost Of Living in Jersey

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Jersey

Whether you're living in Jersey or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
4,100 GBP
average per month
1,000 GBP
Range
8,800 GBP

Couple
7,800 GBP
average per month
1,600 GBP
Range
12,000 GBP

Family
12,000 GBP
average per month
3,600 GBP
Range
19,000 GBP

Student
3,100 GBP
average per month
520 GBP
Range
6,700 GBP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Jersey is 4,100 GBP. Expenses can range from 1,000 GBP at the minimum level to 8,800 GBP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Jersey is 7,800 GBP. Expenditure can range from 1,600 GBP to 12,000 GBP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Jersey is 12,000 GBP per month. Families spend anywhere from 3,600 GBP to 19,000 GBP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Jersey is 3,100 GBP. Students spend from 520 GBP to 6,700 GBP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Jersey

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.0 GBP

1.0 GBP
1.0 GBP

Fast food
combo meal

10 GBP

7.4 GBP
17 GBP

Restaurant
meal for one

34 GBP

27 GBP
43 GBP

Fine dining
meal for one

86 GBP

57 GBP
100 GBP

Soda
Soft Drink

0.86 GBP

0.86 GBP
0.86 GBP

Cappuccino
or latte

6.9 GBP

4.3 GBP
10 GBP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

5.2 GBP

4.3 GBP
5.7 GBP

Loaf of
bread

0.74 GBP

0.65 GBP
0.86 GBP

12
eggs

5.2 GBP

4.3 GBP
6.5 GBP

Fresh whole
chicken

12 GBP

9.4 GBP
15 GBP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

14 GBP

11 GBP
17 GBP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

7.4 GBP

6.5 GBP
8.6 GBP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

3.5 GBP

2.9 GBP
4.3 GBP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

3.7 GBP

3.2 GBP
4.0 GBP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

3.6 GBP

3.1 GBP
4.0 GBP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

5.2 GBP

4.3 GBP
10 GBP

Average car
full tank

34 GBP

26 GBP
69 GBP

Average car
1-day rental

34 GBP

26 GBP
52 GBP

Average car
price

26,000 GBP

13,000 GBP
34,000 GBP

Bus ticket
one way

1.3 GBP

0.86 GBP
2.6 GBP

Car
Service

52 GBP

34 GBP
100 GBP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

250 GBP

62 GBP
530 GBP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

310 GBP

78 GBP
620 GBP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

500 GBP

110 GBP
560 GBP

Internet
and cable

52 GBP

26 GBP
69 GBP

Mobile phone
charges

34 GBP

21 GBP
100 GBP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

17 GBP

13 GBP
26 GBP

One month gym
membership

52 GBP

41 GBP
100 GBP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

43 GBP

30 GBP
65 GBP

Woman
dress

40 GBP

29 GBP
130 GBP

Woman
shoes

37 GBP

27 GBP
86 GBP

Men
shoes

29 GBP

24 GBP
57 GBP

Men
suit

32 GBP

26 GBP
170 GBP

Regular
t-shirt

17 GBP

13 GBP
52 GBP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

650 GBP

430 GBP
1,700 GBP

1-bedroom
apartment

1,000 GBP

650 GBP
2,600 GBP

2-bedroom
apartment

1,300 GBP

860 GBP
3,400 GBP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

130,000 GBP

86,000 GBP
260,000 GBP

1-bedroom
apartment

170,000 GBP

100,000 GBP
650,000 GBP

2-bedroom
apartment

520,000 GBP

170,000 GBP
1,000,000 GBP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

650 GBP

520 GBP
860 GBP

Double
Bed

520 GBP

340 GBP
650 GBP

Single
Bed

400 GBP

300 GBP
520 GBP

Living
Room

740 GBP

570 GBP
2,600 GBP

Dining
Table

340 GBP

260 GBP
650 GBP

Sofa
or Couch

470 GBP

340 GBP
1,000 GBP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

520 GBP

340 GBP
1,000 GBP

Fridge
or Freezer

470 GBP

300 GBP
650 GBP

Washing
Machine

570 GBP

400 GBP
1,000 GBP

Stove
or Cooker

470 GBP

370 GBP
650 GBP

Mobile
Phone

520 GBP

430 GBP
740 GBP

Laptop
or Computer

570 GBP

470 GBP
1,000 GBP

How do people spend their money in Jersey?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Jersey

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW370 GBP
AVERAGE1,500 GBP
HIGH3,200 GBP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW62 GBP
AVERAGE250 GBP
HIGH530 GBP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW83 GBP
AVERAGE330 GBP
HIGH700 GBP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW170 GBP
AVERAGE660 GBP
HIGH1,400 GBP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW93 GBP
AVERAGE370 GBP
HIGH790 GBP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW52 GBP
AVERAGE210 GBP
HIGH440 GBP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW21 GBP
AVERAGE83 GBP
HIGH180 GBP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW190 GBP
AVERAGE740 GBP
HIGH1,600 GBP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Jersey

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW510 GBP
AVERAGE2,600 GBP
HIGH4,100 GBP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW78 GBP
AVERAGE310 GBP
HIGH620 GBP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW190 GBP
AVERAGE930 GBP
HIGH1,500 GBP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW220 GBP
AVERAGE1,100 GBP
HIGH1,700 GBP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW170 GBP
AVERAGE850 GBP
HIGH1,400 GBP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW93 GBP
AVERAGE470 GBP
HIGH740 GBP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW31 GBP
AVERAGE160 GBP
HIGH250 GBP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW260 GBP
AVERAGE1,300 GBP
HIGH2,100 GBP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Jersey

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,200 GBP
AVERAGE4,000 GBP
HIGH6,000 GBP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW110 GBP
AVERAGE500 GBP
HIGH560 GBP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW290 GBP
AVERAGE990 GBP
HIGH1,500 GBP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW650 GBP
AVERAGE2,200 GBP
HIGH3,300 GBP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW290 GBP
AVERAGE990 GBP
HIGH1,500 GBP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW180 GBP
AVERAGE620 GBP
HIGH930 GBP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW510 GBP
AVERAGE1,700 GBP
HIGH2,600 GBP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW430 GBP
AVERAGE1,500 GBP
HIGH2,200 GBP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Jersey

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW120 GBP
AVERAGE740 GBP
HIGH1,600 GBP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW21 GBP
AVERAGE120 GBP
HIGH270 GBP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW36 GBP
AVERAGE220 GBP
HIGH470 GBP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW100 GBP
AVERAGE620 GBP
HIGH1,300 GBP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW31 GBP
AVERAGE190 GBP
HIGH400 GBP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW26 GBP
AVERAGE160 GBP
HIGH340 GBP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW98 GBP
AVERAGE590 GBP
HIGH1,300 GBP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW78 GBP
AVERAGE470 GBP
HIGH1,000 GBP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Jersey typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,200 GBP with expenditure ranging from 540 GBP and 3,700 GBP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Jersey ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 290 GBP with 67 GBP and 490 GBP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 150 GBP to 1,000 GBP on commuting with 620 GBP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Jersey is 1,200 GBP. The cost of groceries can range between 280 GBP to 2,000 GBP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Jersey allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 150 GBP to 1,000 GBP with 600 GBP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 88 GBP to 610 GBP with 360 GBP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 640 GBP per month with 160 GBP being the minimum spent amount and 1,100 GBP being the maximum.

©copound