Cost Of Living in Jordan

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Jordan

Whether you're living in Jordan or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,300 JOD
average per month
320 JOD
Range
2,700 JOD

Couple
2,400 JOD
average per month
490 JOD
Range
3,900 JOD

Family
3,900 JOD
average per month
1,100 JOD
Range
5,800 JOD

Student
970 JOD
average per month
160 JOD
Range
2,100 JOD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Jordan is 1,300 JOD. Expenses can range from 320 JOD at the minimum level to 2,700 JOD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Jordan is 2,400 JOD. Expenditure can range from 490 JOD to 3,900 JOD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Jordan is 3,900 JOD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,100 JOD to 5,800 JOD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Jordan is 970 JOD. Students spend from 160 JOD to 2,100 JOD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Jordan

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.32 JOD

0.32 JOD
0.32 JOD

Fast food
combo meal

3.2 JOD

2.3 JOD
5.4 JOD

Restaurant
meal for one

11 JOD

8.5 JOD
13 JOD

Fine dining
meal for one

27 JOD

18 JOD
32 JOD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.27 JOD

0.27 JOD
0.27 JOD

Cappuccino
or latte

2.2 JOD

1.4 JOD
3.2 JOD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1.6 JOD

1.4 JOD
1.8 JOD

Loaf of
bread

0.23 JOD

0.20 JOD
0.27 JOD

12
eggs

1.6 JOD

1.4 JOD
2.0 JOD

Fresh whole
chicken

3.8 JOD

2.9 JOD
4.6 JOD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

4.3 JOD

3.6 JOD
5.4 JOD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2.3 JOD

2.0 JOD
2.7 JOD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.1 JOD

0.90 JOD
1.4 JOD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.2 JOD

1.0 JOD
1.2 JOD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.1 JOD

0.98 JOD
1.2 JOD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1.6 JOD

1.4 JOD
3.2 JOD

Average car
full tank

11 JOD

8.1 JOD
22 JOD

Average car
1-day rental

11 JOD

8.1 JOD
16 JOD

Average car
price

8,100 JOD

4,000 JOD
11,000 JOD

Bus ticket
one way

0.40 JOD

0.27 JOD
0.81 JOD

Car
Service

16 JOD

11 JOD
32 JOD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

78 JOD

19 JOD
160 JOD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

97 JOD

24 JOD
190 JOD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

160 JOD

34 JOD
170 JOD

Internet
and cable

16 JOD

8.1 JOD
22 JOD

Mobile phone
charges

11 JOD

6.5 JOD
32 JOD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

5.4 JOD

4.0 JOD
8.1 JOD

One month gym
membership

16 JOD

13 JOD
32 JOD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

13 JOD

9.5 JOD
20 JOD

Woman
dress

12 JOD

9.0 JOD
40 JOD

Woman
shoes

12 JOD

8.5 JOD
27 JOD

Men
shoes

9.0 JOD

7.4 JOD
18 JOD

Men
suit

10 JOD

8.1 JOD
54 JOD

Regular
t-shirt

5.4 JOD

4.0 JOD
16 JOD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

200 JOD

130 JOD
540 JOD

1-bedroom
apartment

320 JOD

200 JOD
810 JOD

2-bedroom
apartment

400 JOD

270 JOD
1,100 JOD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

40,000 JOD

27,000 JOD
81,000 JOD

1-bedroom
apartment

54,000 JOD

32,000 JOD
200,000 JOD

2-bedroom
apartment

160,000 JOD

54,000 JOD
320,000 JOD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

200 JOD

160 JOD
270 JOD

Double
Bed

160 JOD

110 JOD
200 JOD

Single
Bed

120 JOD

95 JOD
160 JOD

Living
Room

230 JOD

180 JOD
810 JOD

Dining
Table

110 JOD

81 JOD
200 JOD

Sofa
or Couch

150 JOD

110 JOD
320 JOD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

160 JOD

110 JOD
320 JOD

Fridge
or Freezer

150 JOD

95 JOD
200 JOD

Washing
Machine

180 JOD

120 JOD
320 JOD

Stove
or Cooker

150 JOD

120 JOD
200 JOD

Mobile
Phone

160 JOD

130 JOD
230 JOD

Laptop
or Computer

180 JOD

150 JOD
320 JOD

How do people spend their money in Jordan?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Jordan

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW120 JOD
AVERAGE470 JOD
HIGH990 JOD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW19 JOD
AVERAGE78 JOD
HIGH160 JOD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW26 JOD
AVERAGE100 JOD
HIGH220 JOD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW52 JOD
AVERAGE210 JOD
HIGH440 JOD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW29 JOD
AVERAGE120 JOD
HIGH250 JOD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16 JOD
AVERAGE65 JOD
HIGH140 JOD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW6.5 JOD
AVERAGE26 JOD
HIGH55 JOD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW58 JOD
AVERAGE230 JOD
HIGH490 JOD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Jordan

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW160 JOD
AVERAGE800 JOD
HIGH1,300 JOD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW24 JOD
AVERAGE97 JOD
HIGH190 JOD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW58 JOD
AVERAGE290 JOD
HIGH470 JOD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW68 JOD
AVERAGE340 JOD
HIGH540 JOD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW53 JOD
AVERAGE270 JOD
HIGH430 JOD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW29 JOD
AVERAGE150 JOD
HIGH230 JOD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW9.7 JOD
AVERAGE49 JOD
HIGH78 JOD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW82 JOD
AVERAGE410 JOD
HIGH660 JOD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Jordan

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW360 JOD
AVERAGE1,200 JOD
HIGH1,900 JOD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW34 JOD
AVERAGE160 JOD
HIGH170 JOD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW91 JOD
AVERAGE310 JOD
HIGH470 JOD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW200 JOD
AVERAGE700 JOD
HIGH1,000 JOD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW91 JOD
AVERAGE310 JOD
HIGH470 JOD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW57 JOD
AVERAGE190 JOD
HIGH290 JOD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW160 JOD
AVERAGE540 JOD
HIGH810 JOD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW140 JOD
AVERAGE470 JOD
HIGH700 JOD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Jordan

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW39 JOD
AVERAGE230 JOD
HIGH500 JOD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW6.5 JOD
AVERAGE39 JOD
HIGH84 JOD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW11 JOD
AVERAGE68 JOD
HIGH150 JOD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW32 JOD
AVERAGE190 JOD
HIGH420 JOD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW9.7 JOD
AVERAGE58 JOD
HIGH130 JOD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW8.1 JOD
AVERAGE49 JOD
HIGH110 JOD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW31 JOD
AVERAGE180 JOD
HIGH400 JOD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW24 JOD
AVERAGE150 JOD
HIGH320 JOD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Jordan typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 690 JOD with expenditure ranging from 170 JOD and 1,200 JOD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Jordan ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 92 JOD with 21 JOD and 150 JOD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 46 JOD to 320 JOD on commuting with 190 JOD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Jordan is 360 JOD. The cost of groceries can range between 89 JOD to 610 JOD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Jordan allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 46 JOD to 320 JOD with 190 JOD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 27 JOD to 190 JOD with 110 JOD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 200 JOD per month with 51 JOD being the minimum spent amount and 340 JOD being the maximum.

Amman   Irbid  
©copound