Cost Of Living in Kazakhstan

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Kazakhstan

Whether you're living in Kazakhstan or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
310,000 KZT
average per month
78,000 KZT
Range
660,000 KZT

Couple
580,000 KZT
average per month
120,000 KZT
Range
930,000 KZT

Family
930,000 KZT
average per month
270,000 KZT
Range
1,400,000 KZT

Student
230,000 KZT
average per month
39,000 KZT
Range
510,000 KZT
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Kazakhstan is 310,000 KZT. Expenses can range from 78,000 KZT at the minimum level to 660,000 KZT at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Kazakhstan is 580,000 KZT. Expenditure can range from 120,000 KZT to 930,000 KZT per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Kazakhstan is 930,000 KZT per month. Families spend anywhere from 270,000 KZT to 1,400,000 KZT.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Kazakhstan is 230,000 KZT. Students spend from 39,000 KZT to 510,000 KZT per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Kazakhstan

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

78 KZT

78 KZT
78 KZT

Fast food
combo meal

780 KZT

560 KZT
1,300 KZT

Restaurant
meal for one

2,600 KZT

2,000 KZT
3,200 KZT

Fine dining
meal for one

6,500 KZT

4,300 KZT
7,800 KZT

Soda
Soft Drink

65 KZT

65 KZT
65 KZT

Cappuccino
or latte

520 KZT

320 KZT
780 KZT

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

390 KZT

320 KZT
430 KZT

Loaf of
bread

56 KZT

49 KZT
65 KZT

12
eggs

390 KZT

320 KZT
490 KZT

Fresh whole
chicken

900 KZT

710 KZT
1,100 KZT

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

1,000 KZT

860 KZT
1,300 KZT

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

560 KZT

490 KZT
650 KZT

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

260 KZT

220 KZT
320 KZT

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

280 KZT

240 KZT
300 KZT

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

270 KZT

240 KZT
300 KZT

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

390 KZT

320 KZT
780 KZT

Average car
full tank

2,600 KZT

1,900 KZT
5,200 KZT

Average car
1-day rental

2,600 KZT

1,900 KZT
3,900 KZT

Average car
price

1,900,000 KZT

970,000 KZT
2,600,000 KZT

Bus ticket
one way

97 KZT

65 KZT
190 KZT

Car
Service

3,900 KZT

2,600 KZT
7,800 KZT

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

19,000 KZT

4,700 KZT
40,000 KZT

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

23,000 KZT

5,800 KZT
47,000 KZT

Electricity
and water bill
Family

37,000 KZT

8,200 KZT
42,000 KZT

Internet
and cable

3,900 KZT

1,900 KZT
5,200 KZT

Mobile phone
charges

2,600 KZT

1,600 KZT
7,800 KZT

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,300 KZT

970 KZT
1,900 KZT

One month gym
membership

3,900 KZT

3,100 KZT
7,800 KZT

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

3,200 KZT

2,300 KZT
4,900 KZT

Woman
dress

3,000 KZT

2,200 KZT
9,700 KZT

Woman
shoes

2,800 KZT

2,000 KZT
6,500 KZT

Men
shoes

2,200 KZT

1,800 KZT
4,300 KZT

Men
suit

2,400 KZT

1,900 KZT
13,000 KZT

Regular
t-shirt

1,300 KZT

970 KZT
3,900 KZT

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

49,000 KZT

32,000 KZT
130,000 KZT

1-bedroom
apartment

78,000 KZT

49,000 KZT
190,000 KZT

2-bedroom
apartment

97,000 KZT

65,000 KZT
260,000 KZT

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

9,700,000 KZT

6,500,000 KZT
19,000,000 KZT

1-bedroom
apartment

13,000,000 KZT

7,800,000 KZT
49,000,000 KZT

2-bedroom
apartment

39,000,000 KZT

13,000,000 KZT
78,000,000 KZT

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

49,000 KZT

39,000 KZT
65,000 KZT

Double
Bed

39,000 KZT

26,000 KZT
49,000 KZT

Single
Bed

30,000 KZT

23,000 KZT
39,000 KZT

Living
Room

56,000 KZT

43,000 KZT
190,000 KZT

Dining
Table

26,000 KZT

19,000 KZT
49,000 KZT

Sofa
or Couch

35,000 KZT

26,000 KZT
78,000 KZT

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

39,000 KZT

26,000 KZT
78,000 KZT

Fridge
or Freezer

35,000 KZT

23,000 KZT
49,000 KZT

Washing
Machine

43,000 KZT

30,000 KZT
78,000 KZT

Stove
or Cooker

35,000 KZT

28,000 KZT
49,000 KZT

Mobile
Phone

39,000 KZT

32,000 KZT
56,000 KZT

Laptop
or Computer

43,000 KZT

35,000 KZT
78,000 KZT

How do people spend their money in Kazakhstan?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Kazakhstan

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW28,000 KZT
AVERAGE110,000 KZT
HIGH240,000 KZT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW4,700 KZT
AVERAGE19,000 KZT
HIGH40,000 KZT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW6,200 KZT
AVERAGE25,000 KZT
HIGH53,000 KZT
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW12,000 KZT
AVERAGE50,000 KZT
HIGH110,000 KZT
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW7,000 KZT
AVERAGE28,000 KZT
HIGH59,000 KZT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,900 KZT
AVERAGE16,000 KZT
HIGH33,000 KZT
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,600 KZT
AVERAGE6,200 KZT
HIGH13,000 KZT
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW14,000 KZT
AVERAGE56,000 KZT
HIGH120,000 KZT
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Kazakhstan

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW38,000 KZT
AVERAGE190,000 KZT
HIGH310,000 KZT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW5,800 KZT
AVERAGE23,000 KZT
HIGH47,000 KZT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW14,000 KZT
AVERAGE70,000 KZT
HIGH110,000 KZT
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW16,000 KZT
AVERAGE82,000 KZT
HIGH130,000 KZT
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW13,000 KZT
AVERAGE64,000 KZT
HIGH100,000 KZT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW7,000 KZT
AVERAGE35,000 KZT
HIGH56,000 KZT
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,300 KZT
AVERAGE12,000 KZT
HIGH19,000 KZT
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW20,000 KZT
AVERAGE99,000 KZT
HIGH160,000 KZT
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Kazakhstan

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW87,000 KZT
AVERAGE300,000 KZT
HIGH450,000 KZT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW8,200 KZT
AVERAGE37,000 KZT
HIGH42,000 KZT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW22,000 KZT
AVERAGE75,000 KZT
HIGH110,000 KZT
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW49,000 KZT
AVERAGE170,000 KZT
HIGH250,000 KZT
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW22,000 KZT
AVERAGE75,000 KZT
HIGH110,000 KZT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW14,000 KZT
AVERAGE47,000 KZT
HIGH70,000 KZT
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW38,000 KZT
AVERAGE130,000 KZT
HIGH200,000 KZT
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW33,000 KZT
AVERAGE110,000 KZT
HIGH170,000 KZT
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Kazakhstan

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW9,300 KZT
AVERAGE56,000 KZT
HIGH120,000 KZT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW1,600 KZT
AVERAGE9,300 KZT
HIGH20,000 KZT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW2,700 KZT
AVERAGE16,000 KZT
HIGH35,000 KZT
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW7,800 KZT
AVERAGE47,000 KZT
HIGH100,000 KZT
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW2,300 KZT
AVERAGE14,000 KZT
HIGH30,000 KZT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,900 KZT
AVERAGE12,000 KZT
HIGH25,000 KZT
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW7,400 KZT
AVERAGE44,000 KZT
HIGH96,000 KZT
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW5,800 KZT
AVERAGE35,000 KZT
HIGH76,000 KZT
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Kazakhstan typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 160,000 KZT with expenditure ranging from 41,000 KZT and 280,000 KZT. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Kazakhstan ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 22,000 KZT with 5,100 KZT and 37,000 KZT being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 11,000 KZT to 78,000 KZT on commuting with 46,000 KZT being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Kazakhstan is 86,000 KZT. The cost of groceries can range between 21,000 KZT to 150,000 KZT. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Kazakhstan allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 11,000 KZT to 76,000 KZT with 45,000 KZT being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 6,600 KZT to 46,000 KZT with 27,000 KZT being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 48,000 KZT per month with 12,000 KZT being the minimum spent amount and 81,000 KZT being the maximum.

Almaty   Astana  
©copound