Cost Of Living in Kenya

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Kenya

Whether you're living in Kenya or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
120,000 KES
average per month
29,000 KES
Range
250,000 KES

Couple
220,000 KES
average per month
44,000 KES
Range
350,000 KES

Family
350,000 KES
average per month
100,000 KES
Range
530,000 KES

Student
88,000 KES
average per month
15,000 KES
Range
190,000 KES
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Kenya is 120,000 KES. Expenses can range from 29,000 KES at the minimum level to 250,000 KES at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Kenya is 220,000 KES. Expenditure can range from 44,000 KES to 350,000 KES per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Kenya is 350,000 KES per month. Families spend anywhere from 100,000 KES to 530,000 KES.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Kenya is 88,000 KES. Students spend from 15,000 KES to 190,000 KES per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Kenya

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

29 KES

29 KES
29 KES

Fast food
combo meal

290 KES

210 KES
490 KES

Restaurant
meal for one

980 KES

780 KES
1,200 KES

Fine dining
meal for one

2,500 KES

1,600 KES
2,900 KES

Soda
Soft Drink

25 KES

25 KES
25 KES

Cappuccino
or latte

200 KES

120 KES
290 KES

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

150 KES

120 KES
160 KES

Loaf of
bread

21 KES

18 KES
25 KES

12
eggs

150 KES

120 KES
180 KES

Fresh whole
chicken

340 KES

270 KES
420 KES

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

390 KES

330 KES
490 KES

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

210 KES

180 KES
250 KES

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

98 KES

82 KES
120 KES

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

110 KES

92 KES
110 KES

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

100 KES

89 KES
110 KES

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

150 KES

120 KES
290 KES

Average car
full tank

980 KES

740 KES
2,000 KES

Average car
1-day rental

980 KES

740 KES
1,500 KES

Average car
price

740,000 KES

370,000 KES
980,000 KES

Bus ticket
one way

37 KES

25 KES
74 KES

Car
Service

1,500 KES

980 KES
2,900 KES

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

7,100 KES

1,800 KES
15,000 KES

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

8,800 KES

2,200 KES
18,000 KES

Electricity
and water bill
Family

14,000 KES

3,100 KES
16,000 KES

Internet
and cable

1,500 KES

740 KES
2,000 KES

Mobile phone
charges

980 KES

590 KES
2,900 KES

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

490 KES

370 KES
740 KES

One month gym
membership

1,500 KES

1,200 KES
2,900 KES

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

1,200 KES

870 KES
1,800 KES

Woman
dress

1,100 KES

820 KES
3,700 KES

Woman
shoes

1,100 KES

780 KES
2,500 KES

Men
shoes

820 KES

670 KES
1,600 KES

Men
suit

920 KES

740 KES
4,900 KES

Regular
t-shirt

490 KES

370 KES
1,500 KES

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

18,000 KES

12,000 KES
49,000 KES

1-bedroom
apartment

29,000 KES

18,000 KES
74,000 KES

2-bedroom
apartment

37,000 KES

25,000 KES
98,000 KES

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

3,700,000 KES

2,500,000 KES
7,400,000 KES

1-bedroom
apartment

4,900,000 KES

2,900,000 KES
18,000,000 KES

2-bedroom
apartment

15,000,000 KES

4,900,000 KES
29,000,000 KES

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

18,000 KES

15,000 KES
25,000 KES

Double
Bed

15,000 KES

9,800 KES
18,000 KES

Single
Bed

11,000 KES

8,700 KES
15,000 KES

Living
Room

21,000 KES

16,000 KES
74,000 KES

Dining
Table

9,800 KES

7,400 KES
18,000 KES

Sofa
or Couch

13,000 KES

9,800 KES
29,000 KES

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

15,000 KES

9,800 KES
29,000 KES

Fridge
or Freezer

13,000 KES

8,700 KES
18,000 KES

Washing
Machine

16,000 KES

11,000 KES
29,000 KES

Stove
or Cooker

13,000 KES

11,000 KES
18,000 KES

Mobile
Phone

15,000 KES

12,000 KES
21,000 KES

Laptop
or Computer

16,000 KES

13,000 KES
29,000 KES

How do people spend their money in Kenya?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Kenya

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW11,000 KES
AVERAGE42,000 KES
HIGH90,000 KES
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,800 KES
AVERAGE7,100 KES
HIGH15,000 KES
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW2,400 KES
AVERAGE9,400 KES
HIGH20,000 KES
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW4,700 KES
AVERAGE19,000 KES
HIGH40,000 KES
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW2,700 KES
AVERAGE11,000 KES
HIGH23,000 KES
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,500 KES
AVERAGE5,900 KES
HIGH13,000 KES
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW590 KES
AVERAGE2,400 KES
HIGH5,000 KES
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW5,300 KES
AVERAGE21,000 KES
HIGH45,000 KES
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Kenya

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW15,000 KES
AVERAGE73,000 KES
HIGH120,000 KES
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW2,200 KES
AVERAGE8,800 KES
HIGH18,000 KES
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW5,300 KES
AVERAGE27,000 KES
HIGH42,000 KES
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW6,200 KES
AVERAGE31,000 KES
HIGH50,000 KES
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW4,900 KES
AVERAGE24,000 KES
HIGH39,000 KES
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW2,700 KES
AVERAGE13,000 KES
HIGH21,000 KES
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW880 KES
AVERAGE4,400 KES
HIGH7,100 KES
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW7,500 KES
AVERAGE38,000 KES
HIGH60,000 KES
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Kenya

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW33,000 KES
AVERAGE110,000 KES
HIGH170,000 KES
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW3,100 KES
AVERAGE14,000 KES
HIGH16,000 KES
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW8,300 KES
AVERAGE28,000 KES
HIGH42,000 KES
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW19,000 KES
AVERAGE64,000 KES
HIGH96,000 KES
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW8,300 KES
AVERAGE28,000 KES
HIGH42,000 KES
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW5,200 KES
AVERAGE18,000 KES
HIGH27,000 KES
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW14,000 KES
AVERAGE50,000 KES
HIGH74,000 KES
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW12,000 KES
AVERAGE42,000 KES
HIGH64,000 KES
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Kenya

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW3,500 KES
AVERAGE21,000 KES
HIGH46,000 KES
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW590 KES
AVERAGE3,500 KES
HIGH7,700 KES
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW1,000 KES
AVERAGE6,200 KES
HIGH13,000 KES
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW2,900 KES
AVERAGE18,000 KES
HIGH38,000 KES
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW880 KES
AVERAGE5,300 KES
HIGH11,000 KES
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW740 KES
AVERAGE4,400 KES
HIGH9,600 KES
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW2,800 KES
AVERAGE17,000 KES
HIGH36,000 KES
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW2,200 KES
AVERAGE13,000 KES
HIGH29,000 KES
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Kenya typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 62,000 KES with expenditure ranging from 15,000 KES and 110,000 KES. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Kenya ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 8,400 KES with 1,900 KES and 14,000 KES being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 4,200 KES to 30,000 KES on commuting with 18,000 KES being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Kenya is 33,000 KES. The cost of groceries can range between 8,100 KES to 56,000 KES. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Kenya allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 4,200 KES to 29,000 KES with 17,000 KES being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 2,500 KES to 17,000 KES with 10,000 KES being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 18,000 KES per month with 4,700 KES being the minimum spent amount and 31,000 KES being the maximum.

©copound