Cost Of Living in Kiribati

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Kiribati

Whether you're living in Kiribati or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,100 AUD
average per month
780 AUD
Range
6,600 AUD

Couple
5,800 AUD
average per month
1,200 AUD
Range
9,300 AUD

Family
9,300 AUD
average per month
2,700 AUD
Range
14,000 AUD

Student
2,300 AUD
average per month
390 AUD
Range
5,100 AUD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Kiribati is 3,100 AUD. Expenses can range from 780 AUD at the minimum level to 6,600 AUD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Kiribati is 5,800 AUD. Expenditure can range from 1,200 AUD to 9,300 AUD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Kiribati is 9,300 AUD per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,700 AUD to 14,000 AUD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Kiribati is 2,300 AUD. Students spend from 390 AUD to 5,100 AUD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Kiribati

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.78 AUD

0.78 AUD
0.78 AUD

Fast food
combo meal

7.8 AUD

5.6 AUD
13 AUD

Restaurant
meal for one

26 AUD

20 AUD
32 AUD

Fine dining
meal for one

65 AUD

43 AUD
78 AUD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.65 AUD

0.65 AUD
0.65 AUD

Cappuccino
or latte

5.2 AUD

3.2 AUD
7.8 AUD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.9 AUD

3.2 AUD
4.3 AUD

Loaf of
bread

0.56 AUD

0.49 AUD
0.65 AUD

12
eggs

3.9 AUD

3.2 AUD
4.9 AUD

Fresh whole
chicken

9.1 AUD

7.1 AUD
11 AUD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

10 AUD

8.7 AUD
13 AUD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

5.6 AUD

4.9 AUD
6.5 AUD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.6 AUD

2.2 AUD
3.2 AUD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.8 AUD

2.4 AUD
3.0 AUD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.7 AUD

2.4 AUD
3.0 AUD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.9 AUD

3.2 AUD
7.8 AUD

Average car
full tank

26 AUD

19 AUD
52 AUD

Average car
1-day rental

26 AUD

19 AUD
39 AUD

Average car
price

19,000 AUD

9,700 AUD
26,000 AUD

Bus ticket
one way

0.97 AUD

0.65 AUD
2.0 AUD

Car
Service

39 AUD

26 AUD
78 AUD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

190 AUD

47 AUD
400 AUD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

230 AUD

58 AUD
470 AUD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

370 AUD

82 AUD
420 AUD

Internet
and cable

39 AUD

19 AUD
52 AUD

Mobile phone
charges

26 AUD

16 AUD
78 AUD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

13 AUD

9.7 AUD
19 AUD

One month gym
membership

39 AUD

31 AUD
78 AUD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

32 AUD

23 AUD
49 AUD

Woman
dress

30 AUD

22 AUD
97 AUD

Woman
shoes

28 AUD

20 AUD
65 AUD

Men
shoes

22 AUD

18 AUD
43 AUD

Men
suit

24 AUD

19 AUD
130 AUD

Regular
t-shirt

13 AUD

9.7 AUD
39 AUD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

490 AUD

320 AUD
1,300 AUD

1-bedroom
apartment

780 AUD

490 AUD
1,900 AUD

2-bedroom
apartment

970 AUD

650 AUD
2,600 AUD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

97,000 AUD

65,000 AUD
190,000 AUD

1-bedroom
apartment

130,000 AUD

78,000 AUD
490,000 AUD

2-bedroom
apartment

390,000 AUD

130,000 AUD
780,000 AUD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

490 AUD

390 AUD
650 AUD

Double
Bed

390 AUD

260 AUD
490 AUD

Single
Bed

300 AUD

230 AUD
390 AUD

Living
Room

560 AUD

430 AUD
1,900 AUD

Dining
Table

260 AUD

190 AUD
490 AUD

Sofa
or Couch

350 AUD

260 AUD
780 AUD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

390 AUD

260 AUD
780 AUD

Fridge
or Freezer

350 AUD

230 AUD
490 AUD

Washing
Machine

430 AUD

300 AUD
780 AUD

Stove
or Cooker

350 AUD

280 AUD
490 AUD

Mobile
Phone

390 AUD

320 AUD
560 AUD

Laptop
or Computer

430 AUD

350 AUD
780 AUD

How do people spend their money in Kiribati?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Kiribati

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW280 AUD
AVERAGE1,100 AUD
HIGH2,400 AUD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW47 AUD
AVERAGE190 AUD
HIGH400 AUD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW62 AUD
AVERAGE250 AUD
HIGH530 AUD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW120 AUD
AVERAGE500 AUD
HIGH1,100 AUD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW70 AUD
AVERAGE280 AUD
HIGH600 AUD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW39 AUD
AVERAGE160 AUD
HIGH330 AUD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW16 AUD
AVERAGE62 AUD
HIGH130 AUD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW140 AUD
AVERAGE560 AUD
HIGH1,200 AUD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Kiribati

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW390 AUD
AVERAGE1,900 AUD
HIGH3,100 AUD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW58 AUD
AVERAGE230 AUD
HIGH470 AUD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW140 AUD
AVERAGE700 AUD
HIGH1,100 AUD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW160 AUD
AVERAGE820 AUD
HIGH1,300 AUD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW130 AUD
AVERAGE640 AUD
HIGH1,000 AUD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW70 AUD
AVERAGE350 AUD
HIGH560 AUD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW23 AUD
AVERAGE120 AUD
HIGH190 AUD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW200 AUD
AVERAGE990 AUD
HIGH1,600 AUD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Kiribati

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW870 AUD
AVERAGE3,000 AUD
HIGH4,500 AUD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW82 AUD
AVERAGE370 AUD
HIGH420 AUD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW220 AUD
AVERAGE750 AUD
HIGH1,100 AUD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW490 AUD
AVERAGE1,700 AUD
HIGH2,500 AUD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW220 AUD
AVERAGE750 AUD
HIGH1,100 AUD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW140 AUD
AVERAGE470 AUD
HIGH700 AUD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW380 AUD
AVERAGE1,300 AUD
HIGH2,000 AUD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW330 AUD
AVERAGE1,100 AUD
HIGH1,700 AUD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Kiribati

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW93 AUD
AVERAGE560 AUD
HIGH1,200 AUD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW16 AUD
AVERAGE93 AUD
HIGH200 AUD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW27 AUD
AVERAGE160 AUD
HIGH350 AUD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW78 AUD
AVERAGE470 AUD
HIGH1,000 AUD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW23 AUD
AVERAGE140 AUD
HIGH300 AUD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW19 AUD
AVERAGE120 AUD
HIGH250 AUD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW74 AUD
AVERAGE440 AUD
HIGH960 AUD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW58 AUD
AVERAGE350 AUD
HIGH760 AUD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Kiribati typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,600 AUD with expenditure ranging from 410 AUD and 2,800 AUD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Kiribati ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 220 AUD with 51 AUD and 370 AUD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 110 AUD to 780 AUD on commuting with 470 AUD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Kiribati is 870 AUD. The cost of groceries can range between 210 AUD to 1,500 AUD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Kiribati allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 110 AUD to 760 AUD with 450 AUD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 66 AUD to 460 AUD with 270 AUD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 480 AUD per month with 120 AUD being the minimum spent amount and 810 AUD being the maximum.

©copound