Cost Of Living in Korea (North)

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Korea (North)

Whether you're living in Korea (North) or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
160,000 KPW
average per month
39,000 KPW
Range
330,000 KPW

Couple
290,000 KPW
average per month
58,000 KPW
Range
470,000 KPW

Family
470,000 KPW
average per month
140,000 KPW
Range
700,000 KPW

Student
120,000 KPW
average per month
19,000 KPW
Range
250,000 KPW
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Korea (North) is 160,000 KPW. Expenses can range from 39,000 KPW at the minimum level to 330,000 KPW at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Korea (North) is 290,000 KPW. Expenditure can range from 58,000 KPW to 470,000 KPW per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Korea (North) is 470,000 KPW per month. Families spend anywhere from 140,000 KPW to 700,000 KPW.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Korea (North) is 120,000 KPW. Students spend from 19,000 KPW to 250,000 KPW per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Korea (North)

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

39 KPW

39 KPW
39 KPW

Fast food
combo meal

390 KPW

280 KPW
650 KPW

Restaurant
meal for one

1,300 KPW

1,000 KPW
1,600 KPW

Fine dining
meal for one

3,200 KPW

2,200 KPW
3,900 KPW

Soda
Soft Drink

32 KPW

32 KPW
32 KPW

Cappuccino
or latte

260 KPW

160 KPW
390 KPW

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

190 KPW

160 KPW
220 KPW

Loaf of
bread

28 KPW

24 KPW
32 KPW

12
eggs

190 KPW

160 KPW
240 KPW

Fresh whole
chicken

450 KPW

350 KPW
560 KPW

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

510 KPW

430 KPW
650 KPW

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

280 KPW

240 KPW
320 KPW

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

130 KPW

110 KPW
160 KPW

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

140 KPW

120 KPW
150 KPW

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

130 KPW

120 KPW
150 KPW

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

190 KPW

160 KPW
390 KPW

Average car
full tank

1,300 KPW

970 KPW
2,600 KPW

Average car
1-day rental

1,300 KPW

970 KPW
1,900 KPW

Average car
price

970,000 KPW

490,000 KPW
1,300,000 KPW

Bus ticket
one way

49 KPW

32 KPW
97 KPW

Car
Service

1,900 KPW

1,300 KPW
3,900 KPW

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

9,400 KPW

2,300 KPW
20,000 KPW

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

12,000 KPW

2,900 KPW
23,000 KPW

Electricity
and water bill
Family

19,000 KPW

4,100 KPW
21,000 KPW

Internet
and cable

1,900 KPW

970 KPW
2,600 KPW

Mobile phone
charges

1,300 KPW

780 KPW
3,900 KPW

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

650 KPW

490 KPW
970 KPW

One month gym
membership

1,900 KPW

1,600 KPW
3,900 KPW

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

1,600 KPW

1,100 KPW
2,400 KPW

Woman
dress

1,500 KPW

1,100 KPW
4,900 KPW

Woman
shoes

1,400 KPW

1,000 KPW
3,200 KPW

Men
shoes

1,100 KPW

890 KPW
2,200 KPW

Men
suit

1,200 KPW

970 KPW
6,500 KPW

Regular
t-shirt

650 KPW

490 KPW
1,900 KPW

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

24,000 KPW

16,000 KPW
65,000 KPW

1-bedroom
apartment

39,000 KPW

24,000 KPW
97,000 KPW

2-bedroom
apartment

49,000 KPW

32,000 KPW
130,000 KPW

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

4,900,000 KPW

3,200,000 KPW
9,700,000 KPW

1-bedroom
apartment

6,500,000 KPW

3,900,000 KPW
24,000,000 KPW

2-bedroom
apartment

19,000,000 KPW

6,500,000 KPW
39,000,000 KPW

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

24,000 KPW

19,000 KPW
32,000 KPW

Double
Bed

19,000 KPW

13,000 KPW
24,000 KPW

Single
Bed

15,000 KPW

11,000 KPW
19,000 KPW

Living
Room

28,000 KPW

22,000 KPW
97,000 KPW

Dining
Table

13,000 KPW

9,700 KPW
24,000 KPW

Sofa
or Couch

18,000 KPW

13,000 KPW
39,000 KPW

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

19,000 KPW

13,000 KPW
39,000 KPW

Fridge
or Freezer

18,000 KPW

11,000 KPW
24,000 KPW

Washing
Machine

22,000 KPW

15,000 KPW
39,000 KPW

Stove
or Cooker

18,000 KPW

14,000 KPW
24,000 KPW

Mobile
Phone

19,000 KPW

16,000 KPW
28,000 KPW

Laptop
or Computer

22,000 KPW

18,000 KPW
39,000 KPW

How do people spend their money in Korea (North)?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Korea (North)

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW14,000 KPW
AVERAGE56,000 KPW
HIGH120,000 KPW
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,300 KPW
AVERAGE9,400 KPW
HIGH20,000 KPW
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW3,100 KPW
AVERAGE12,000 KPW
HIGH27,000 KPW
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW6,200 KPW
AVERAGE25,000 KPW
HIGH53,000 KPW
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW3,500 KPW
AVERAGE14,000 KPW
HIGH30,000 KPW
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,900 KPW
AVERAGE7,800 KPW
HIGH17,000 KPW
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW780 KPW
AVERAGE3,100 KPW
HIGH6,600 KPW
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW7,000 KPW
AVERAGE28,000 KPW
HIGH60,000 KPW
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Korea (North)

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW19,000 KPW
AVERAGE96,000 KPW
HIGH150,000 KPW
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW2,900 KPW
AVERAGE12,000 KPW
HIGH23,000 KPW
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW7,000 KPW
AVERAGE35,000 KPW
HIGH56,000 KPW
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW8,200 KPW
AVERAGE41,000 KPW
HIGH65,000 KPW
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW6,400 KPW
AVERAGE32,000 KPW
HIGH51,000 KPW
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW3,500 KPW
AVERAGE18,000 KPW
HIGH28,000 KPW
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,200 KPW
AVERAGE5,800 KPW
HIGH9,400 KPW
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW9,900 KPW
AVERAGE50,000 KPW
HIGH80,000 KPW
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Korea (North)

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW44,000 KPW
AVERAGE150,000 KPW
HIGH220,000 KPW
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW4,100 KPW
AVERAGE19,000 KPW
HIGH21,000 KPW
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW11,000 KPW
AVERAGE37,000 KPW
HIGH56,000 KPW
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW25,000 KPW
AVERAGE84,000 KPW
HIGH130,000 KPW
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW11,000 KPW
AVERAGE37,000 KPW
HIGH56,000 KPW
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW6,800 KPW
AVERAGE23,000 KPW
HIGH35,000 KPW
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW19,000 KPW
AVERAGE65,000 KPW
HIGH98,000 KPW
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW16,000 KPW
AVERAGE56,000 KPW
HIGH84,000 KPW
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Korea (North)

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW4,700 KPW
AVERAGE28,000 KPW
HIGH61,000 KPW
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW780 KPW
AVERAGE4,700 KPW
HIGH10,000 KPW
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW1,400 KPW
AVERAGE8,200 KPW
HIGH18,000 KPW
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW3,900 KPW
AVERAGE23,000 KPW
HIGH51,000 KPW
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW1,200 KPW
AVERAGE7,000 KPW
HIGH15,000 KPW
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW970 KPW
AVERAGE5,800 KPW
HIGH13,000 KPW
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW3,700 KPW
AVERAGE22,000 KPW
HIGH48,000 KPW
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW2,900 KPW
AVERAGE18,000 KPW
HIGH38,000 KPW
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Korea (North) typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 83,000 KPW with expenditure ranging from 20,000 KPW and 140,000 KPW. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Korea (North) ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 11,000 KPW with 2,500 KPW and 19,000 KPW being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 5,600 KPW to 39,000 KPW on commuting with 23,000 KPW being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Korea (North) is 43,000 KPW. The cost of groceries can range between 11,000 KPW to 74,000 KPW. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Korea (North) allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 5,500 KPW to 38,000 KPW with 23,000 KPW being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 3,300 KPW to 23,000 KPW with 14,000 KPW being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 24,000 KPW per month with 6,200 KPW being the minimum spent amount and 41,000 KPW being the maximum.

©copound