Cost Of Living in Korea (South)

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Korea (South)

Whether you're living in Korea (South) or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,100,000 KRW
average per month
780,000 KRW
Range
6,600,000 KRW

Couple
5,900,000 KRW
average per month
1,200,000 KRW
Range
9,400,000 KRW

Family
9,400,000 KRW
average per month
2,700,000 KRW
Range
14,000,000 KRW

Student
2,300,000 KRW
average per month
390,000 KRW
Range
5,100,000 KRW
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Korea (South) is 3,100,000 KRW. Expenses can range from 780,000 KRW at the minimum level to 6,600,000 KRW at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Korea (South) is 5,900,000 KRW. Expenditure can range from 1,200,000 KRW to 9,400,000 KRW per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Korea (South) is 9,400,000 KRW per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,700,000 KRW to 14,000,000 KRW.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Korea (South) is 2,300,000 KRW. Students spend from 390,000 KRW to 5,100,000 KRW per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Korea (South)

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

780 KRW

780 KRW
780 KRW

Fast food
combo meal

7,800 KRW

5,600 KRW
13,000 KRW

Restaurant
meal for one

26,000 KRW

21,000 KRW
33,000 KRW

Fine dining
meal for one

65,000 KRW

43,000 KRW
78,000 KRW

Soda
Soft Drink

650 KRW

650 KRW
650 KRW

Cappuccino
or latte

5,200 KRW

3,300 KRW
7,800 KRW

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3,900 KRW

3,300 KRW
4,300 KRW

Loaf of
bread

560 KRW

490 KRW
650 KRW

12
eggs

3,900 KRW

3,300 KRW
4,900 KRW

Fresh whole
chicken

9,100 KRW

7,100 KRW
11,000 KRW

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

10,000 KRW

8,700 KRW
13,000 KRW

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

5,600 KRW

4,900 KRW
6,500 KRW

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2,600 KRW

2,200 KRW
3,300 KRW

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2,800 KRW

2,400 KRW
3,000 KRW

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2,700 KRW

2,400 KRW
3,000 KRW

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3,900 KRW

3,300 KRW
7,800 KRW

Average car
full tank

26,000 KRW

20,000 KRW
52,000 KRW

Average car
1-day rental

26,000 KRW

20,000 KRW
39,000 KRW

Average car
price

20,000,000 KRW

9,800,000 KRW
26,000,000 KRW

Bus ticket
one way

980 KRW

650 KRW
2,000 KRW

Car
Service

39,000 KRW

26,000 KRW
78,000 KRW

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

190,000 KRW

47,000 KRW
400,000 KRW

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

230,000 KRW

59,000 KRW
470,000 KRW

Electricity
and water bill
Family

370,000 KRW

82,000 KRW
420,000 KRW

Internet
and cable

39,000 KRW

20,000 KRW
52,000 KRW

Mobile phone
charges

26,000 KRW

16,000 KRW
78,000 KRW

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

13,000 KRW

9,800 KRW
20,000 KRW

One month gym
membership

39,000 KRW

31,000 KRW
78,000 KRW

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

33,000 KRW

23,000 KRW
49,000 KRW

Woman
dress

30,000 KRW

22,000 KRW
98,000 KRW

Woman
shoes

28,000 KRW

21,000 KRW
65,000 KRW

Men
shoes

22,000 KRW

18,000 KRW
43,000 KRW

Men
suit

24,000 KRW

20,000 KRW
130,000 KRW

Regular
t-shirt

13,000 KRW

9,800 KRW
39,000 KRW

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

490,000 KRW

330,000 KRW
1,300,000 KRW

1-bedroom
apartment

780,000 KRW

490,000 KRW
2,000,000 KRW

2-bedroom
apartment

980,000 KRW

650,000 KRW
2,600,000 KRW

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

98,000,000 KRW

65,000,000 KRW
200,000,000 KRW

1-bedroom
apartment

130,000,000 KRW

78,000,000 KRW
490,000,000 KRW

2-bedroom
apartment

390,000,000 KRW

130,000,000 KRW
780,000,000 KRW

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

490,000 KRW

390,000 KRW
650,000 KRW

Double
Bed

390,000 KRW

260,000 KRW
490,000 KRW

Single
Bed

300,000 KRW

230,000 KRW
390,000 KRW

Living
Room

560,000 KRW

430,000 KRW
2,000,000 KRW

Dining
Table

260,000 KRW

200,000 KRW
490,000 KRW

Sofa
or Couch

350,000 KRW

260,000 KRW
780,000 KRW

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

390,000 KRW

260,000 KRW
780,000 KRW

Fridge
or Freezer

350,000 KRW

230,000 KRW
490,000 KRW

Washing
Machine

430,000 KRW

300,000 KRW
780,000 KRW

Stove
or Cooker

350,000 KRW

280,000 KRW
490,000 KRW

Mobile
Phone

390,000 KRW

330,000 KRW
560,000 KRW

Laptop
or Computer

430,000 KRW

350,000 KRW
780,000 KRW

How do people spend their money in Korea (South)?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Korea (South)

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW280,000 KRW
AVERAGE1,100,000 KRW
HIGH2,400,000 KRW
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW47,000 KRW
AVERAGE190,000 KRW
HIGH400,000 KRW
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW62,000 KRW
AVERAGE250,000 KRW
HIGH530,000 KRW
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW120,000 KRW
AVERAGE500,000 KRW
HIGH1,100,000 KRW
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW70,000 KRW
AVERAGE280,000 KRW
HIGH600,000 KRW
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW39,000 KRW
AVERAGE160,000 KRW
HIGH330,000 KRW
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW16,000 KRW
AVERAGE62,000 KRW
HIGH130,000 KRW
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW140,000 KRW
AVERAGE560,000 KRW
HIGH1,200,000 KRW
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Korea (South)

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW390,000 KRW
AVERAGE1,900,000 KRW
HIGH3,100,000 KRW
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW59,000 KRW
AVERAGE230,000 KRW
HIGH470,000 KRW
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW140,000 KRW
AVERAGE700,000 KRW
HIGH1,100,000 KRW
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW160,000 KRW
AVERAGE820,000 KRW
HIGH1,300,000 KRW
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW130,000 KRW
AVERAGE640,000 KRW
HIGH1,000,000 KRW
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW70,000 KRW
AVERAGE350,000 KRW
HIGH560,000 KRW
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW23,000 KRW
AVERAGE120,000 KRW
HIGH190,000 KRW
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW200,000 KRW
AVERAGE990,000 KRW
HIGH1,600,000 KRW
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Korea (South)

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW870,000 KRW
AVERAGE3,000,000 KRW
HIGH4,500,000 KRW
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW82,000 KRW
AVERAGE370,000 KRW
HIGH420,000 KRW
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW220,000 KRW
AVERAGE750,000 KRW
HIGH1,100,000 KRW
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW490,000 KRW
AVERAGE1,700,000 KRW
HIGH2,500,000 KRW
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW220,000 KRW
AVERAGE750,000 KRW
HIGH1,100,000 KRW
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW140,000 KRW
AVERAGE470,000 KRW
HIGH700,000 KRW
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW380,000 KRW
AVERAGE1,300,000 KRW
HIGH2,000,000 KRW
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW330,000 KRW
AVERAGE1,100,000 KRW
HIGH1,700,000 KRW
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Korea (South)

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW94,000 KRW
AVERAGE560,000 KRW
HIGH1,200,000 KRW
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW16,000 KRW
AVERAGE94,000 KRW
HIGH200,000 KRW
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW27,000 KRW
AVERAGE160,000 KRW
HIGH360,000 KRW
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW78,000 KRW
AVERAGE470,000 KRW
HIGH1,000,000 KRW
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW23,000 KRW
AVERAGE140,000 KRW
HIGH300,000 KRW
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW20,000 KRW
AVERAGE120,000 KRW
HIGH250,000 KRW
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW74,000 KRW
AVERAGE440,000 KRW
HIGH960,000 KRW
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW59,000 KRW
AVERAGE350,000 KRW
HIGH760,000 KRW
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Korea (South) typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,700,000 KRW with expenditure ranging from 410,000 KRW and 2,800,000 KRW. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Korea (South) ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 220,000 KRW with 51,000 KRW and 370,000 KRW being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 110,000 KRW to 780,000 KRW on commuting with 470,000 KRW being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Korea (South) is 870,000 KRW. The cost of groceries can range between 210,000 KRW to 1,500,000 KRW. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Korea (South) allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 110,000 KRW to 760,000 KRW with 450,000 KRW being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 66,000 KRW to 460,000 KRW with 270,000 KRW being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 480,000 KRW per month with 120,000 KRW being the minimum spent amount and 810,000 KRW being the maximum.

©copound