Cost Of Living in Kuwait

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Kuwait

Whether you're living in Kuwait or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,000 KWD
average per month
250 KWD
Range
2,200 KWD

Couple
1,900 KWD
average per month
380 KWD
Range
3,000 KWD

Family
3,000 KWD
average per month
890 KWD
Range
4,600 KWD

Student
760 KWD
average per month
130 KWD
Range
1,600 KWD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Kuwait is 1,000 KWD. Expenses can range from 250 KWD at the minimum level to 2,200 KWD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Kuwait is 1,900 KWD. Expenditure can range from 380 KWD to 3,000 KWD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Kuwait is 3,000 KWD per month. Families spend anywhere from 890 KWD to 4,600 KWD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Kuwait is 760 KWD. Students spend from 130 KWD to 1,600 KWD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Kuwait

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.25 KWD

0.25 KWD
0.25 KWD

Fast food
combo meal

2.5 KWD

1.8 KWD
4.2 KWD

Restaurant
meal for one

8.5 KWD

6.7 KWD
11 KWD

Fine dining
meal for one

21 KWD

14 KWD
25 KWD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.21 KWD

0.21 KWD
0.21 KWD

Cappuccino
or latte

1.7 KWD

1.1 KWD
2.5 KWD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1.3 KWD

1.1 KWD
1.4 KWD

Loaf of
bread

0.18 KWD

0.16 KWD
0.21 KWD

12
eggs

1.3 KWD

1.1 KWD
1.6 KWD

Fresh whole
chicken

3.0 KWD

2.3 KWD
3.6 KWD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

3.3 KWD

2.8 KWD
4.2 KWD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

1.8 KWD

1.6 KWD
2.1 KWD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

0.85 KWD

0.71 KWD
1.1 KWD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

0.91 KWD

0.79 KWD
0.98 KWD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

0.88 KWD

0.77 KWD
0.98 KWD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1.3 KWD

1.1 KWD
2.5 KWD

Average car
full tank

8.5 KWD

6.4 KWD
17 KWD

Average car
1-day rental

8.5 KWD

6.4 KWD
13 KWD

Average car
price

6,300 KWD

3,200 KWD
8,500 KWD

Bus ticket
one way

0.32 KWD

0.21 KWD
0.63 KWD

Car
Service

13 KWD

8.5 KWD
25 KWD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

61 KWD

15 KWD
130 KWD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

76 KWD

19 KWD
150 KWD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

120 KWD

27 KWD
140 KWD

Internet
and cable

13 KWD

6.4 KWD
17 KWD

Mobile phone
charges

8.5 KWD

5.1 KWD
25 KWD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

4.2 KWD

3.2 KWD
6.4 KWD

One month gym
membership

13 KWD

10 KWD
25 KWD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

11 KWD

7.5 KWD
16 KWD

Woman
dress

9.8 KWD

7.1 KWD
32 KWD

Woman
shoes

9.1 KWD

6.7 KWD
21 KWD

Men
shoes

7.1 KWD

5.8 KWD
14 KWD

Men
suit

7.9 KWD

6.4 KWD
42 KWD

Regular
t-shirt

4.2 KWD

3.2 KWD
13 KWD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

160 KWD

110 KWD
420 KWD

1-bedroom
apartment

250 KWD

160 KWD
630 KWD

2-bedroom
apartment

320 KWD

210 KWD
850 KWD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

32,000 KWD

21,000 KWD
63,000 KWD

1-bedroom
apartment

42,000 KWD

25,000 KWD
160,000 KWD

2-bedroom
apartment

130,000 KWD

42,000 KWD
250,000 KWD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

160 KWD

130 KWD
210 KWD

Double
Bed

130 KWD

85 KWD
160 KWD

Single
Bed

98 KWD

75 KWD
130 KWD

Living
Room

180 KWD

140 KWD
630 KWD

Dining
Table

85 KWD

63 KWD
160 KWD

Sofa
or Couch

120 KWD

85 KWD
250 KWD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

130 KWD

85 KWD
250 KWD

Fridge
or Freezer

120 KWD

75 KWD
160 KWD

Washing
Machine

140 KWD

98 KWD
250 KWD

Stove
or Cooker

120 KWD

91 KWD
160 KWD

Mobile
Phone

130 KWD

110 KWD
180 KWD

Laptop
or Computer

140 KWD

120 KWD
250 KWD

How do people spend their money in Kuwait?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Kuwait

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW91 KWD
AVERAGE370 KWD
HIGH780 KWD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW15 KWD
AVERAGE61 KWD
HIGH130 KWD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW20 KWD
AVERAGE81 KWD
HIGH170 KWD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW41 KWD
AVERAGE160 KWD
HIGH350 KWD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW23 KWD
AVERAGE91 KWD
HIGH190 KWD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW13 KWD
AVERAGE51 KWD
HIGH110 KWD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW5.1 KWD
AVERAGE20 KWD
HIGH43 KWD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW46 KWD
AVERAGE180 KWD
HIGH390 KWD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Kuwait

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW130 KWD
AVERAGE630 KWD
HIGH1,000 KWD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW19 KWD
AVERAGE76 KWD
HIGH150 KWD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW46 KWD
AVERAGE230 KWD
HIGH370 KWD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW53 KWD
AVERAGE270 KWD
HIGH430 KWD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW42 KWD
AVERAGE210 KWD
HIGH340 KWD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW23 KWD
AVERAGE110 KWD
HIGH180 KWD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW7.6 KWD
AVERAGE38 KWD
HIGH61 KWD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW65 KWD
AVERAGE320 KWD
HIGH520 KWD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Kuwait

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW280 KWD
AVERAGE970 KWD
HIGH1,500 KWD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW27 KWD
AVERAGE120 KWD
HIGH140 KWD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW71 KWD
AVERAGE240 KWD
HIGH370 KWD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW160 KWD
AVERAGE550 KWD
HIGH820 KWD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW71 KWD
AVERAGE240 KWD
HIGH370 KWD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW44 KWD
AVERAGE150 KWD
HIGH230 KWD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW120 KWD
AVERAGE430 KWD
HIGH640 KWD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW110 KWD
AVERAGE370 KWD
HIGH550 KWD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Kuwait

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW30 KWD
AVERAGE180 KWD
HIGH400 KWD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW5.1 KWD
AVERAGE30 KWD
HIGH66 KWD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW8.9 KWD
AVERAGE53 KWD
HIGH120 KWD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW25 KWD
AVERAGE150 KWD
HIGH330 KWD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW7.6 KWD
AVERAGE46 KWD
HIGH99 KWD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW6.4 KWD
AVERAGE38 KWD
HIGH82 KWD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW24 KWD
AVERAGE140 KWD
HIGH310 KWD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW19 KWD
AVERAGE110 KWD
HIGH250 KWD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Kuwait typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 540 KWD with expenditure ranging from 130 KWD and 910 KWD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Kuwait ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 72 KWD with 17 KWD and 120 KWD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 36 KWD to 250 KWD on commuting with 150 KWD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Kuwait is 280 KWD. The cost of groceries can range between 70 KWD to 480 KWD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Kuwait allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 36 KWD to 250 KWD with 150 KWD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 22 KWD to 150 KWD with 89 KWD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 160 KWD per month with 40 KWD being the minimum spent amount and 260 KWD being the maximum.

©copound