Cost Of Living in Laos

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Laos

Whether you're living in Laos or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,700,000 LAK
average per month
910,000 LAK
Range
7,800,000 LAK

Couple
6,800,000 LAK
average per month
1,400,000 LAK
Range
11,000,000 LAK

Family
11,000,000 LAK
average per month
3,200,000 LAK
Range
16,000,000 LAK

Student
2,700,000 LAK
average per month
460,000 LAK
Range
5,900,000 LAK
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Laos is 3,700,000 LAK. Expenses can range from 910,000 LAK at the minimum level to 7,800,000 LAK at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Laos is 6,800,000 LAK. Expenditure can range from 1,400,000 LAK to 11,000,000 LAK per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Laos is 11,000,000 LAK per month. Families spend anywhere from 3,200,000 LAK to 16,000,000 LAK.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Laos is 2,700,000 LAK. Students spend from 460,000 LAK to 5,900,000 LAK per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Laos

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

910 LAK

910 LAK
910 LAK

Fast food
combo meal

9,100 LAK

6,500 LAK
15,000 LAK

Restaurant
meal for one

30,000 LAK

24,000 LAK
38,000 LAK

Fine dining
meal for one

76,000 LAK

51,000 LAK
91,000 LAK

Soda
Soft Drink

760 LAK

760 LAK
760 LAK

Cappuccino
or latte

6,100 LAK

3,800 LAK
9,100 LAK

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

4,600 LAK

3,800 LAK
5,100 LAK

Loaf of
bread

650 LAK

570 LAK
760 LAK

12
eggs

4,600 LAK

3,800 LAK
5,700 LAK

Fresh whole
chicken

11,000 LAK

8,300 LAK
13,000 LAK

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

12,000 LAK

10,000 LAK
15,000 LAK

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

6,500 LAK

5,700 LAK
7,600 LAK

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

3,000 LAK

2,500 LAK
3,800 LAK

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

3,300 LAK

2,900 LAK
3,500 LAK

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

3,100 LAK

2,800 LAK
3,500 LAK

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

4,600 LAK

3,800 LAK
9,100 LAK

Average car
full tank

30,000 LAK

23,000 LAK
61,000 LAK

Average car
1-day rental

30,000 LAK

23,000 LAK
46,000 LAK

Average car
price

23,000,000 LAK

11,000,000 LAK
30,000,000 LAK

Bus ticket
one way

1,100 LAK

760 LAK
2,300 LAK

Car
Service

46,000 LAK

30,000 LAK
91,000 LAK

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

220,000 LAK

55,000 LAK
470,000 LAK

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

270,000 LAK

68,000 LAK
550,000 LAK

Electricity
and water bill
Family

440,000 LAK

96,000 LAK
490,000 LAK

Internet
and cable

46,000 LAK

23,000 LAK
61,000 LAK

Mobile phone
charges

30,000 LAK

18,000 LAK
91,000 LAK

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

15,000 LAK

11,000 LAK
23,000 LAK

One month gym
membership

46,000 LAK

37,000 LAK
91,000 LAK

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

38,000 LAK

27,000 LAK
57,000 LAK

Woman
dress

35,000 LAK

25,000 LAK
110,000 LAK

Woman
shoes

33,000 LAK

24,000 LAK
76,000 LAK

Men
shoes

25,000 LAK

21,000 LAK
51,000 LAK

Men
suit

29,000 LAK

23,000 LAK
150,000 LAK

Regular
t-shirt

15,000 LAK

11,000 LAK
46,000 LAK

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

570,000 LAK

380,000 LAK
1,500,000 LAK

1-bedroom
apartment

910,000 LAK

570,000 LAK
2,300,000 LAK

2-bedroom
apartment

1,100,000 LAK

760,000 LAK
3,000,000 LAK

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

110,000,000 LAK

76,000,000 LAK
230,000,000 LAK

1-bedroom
apartment

150,000,000 LAK

91,000,000 LAK
570,000,000 LAK

2-bedroom
apartment

460,000,000 LAK

150,000,000 LAK
910,000,000 LAK

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

570,000 LAK

460,000 LAK
760,000 LAK

Double
Bed

460,000 LAK

300,000 LAK
570,000 LAK

Single
Bed

350,000 LAK

270,000 LAK
460,000 LAK

Living
Room

650,000 LAK

510,000 LAK
2,300,000 LAK

Dining
Table

300,000 LAK

230,000 LAK
570,000 LAK

Sofa
or Couch

420,000 LAK

300,000 LAK
910,000 LAK

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

460,000 LAK

300,000 LAK
910,000 LAK

Fridge
or Freezer

420,000 LAK

270,000 LAK
570,000 LAK

Washing
Machine

510,000 LAK

350,000 LAK
910,000 LAK

Stove
or Cooker

420,000 LAK

330,000 LAK
570,000 LAK

Mobile
Phone

460,000 LAK

380,000 LAK
650,000 LAK

Laptop
or Computer

510,000 LAK

420,000 LAK
910,000 LAK

How do people spend their money in Laos?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Laos

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW330,000 LAK
AVERAGE1,300,000 LAK
HIGH2,800,000 LAK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW55,000 LAK
AVERAGE220,000 LAK
HIGH470,000 LAK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW73,000 LAK
AVERAGE290,000 LAK
HIGH620,000 LAK
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW150,000 LAK
AVERAGE580,000 LAK
HIGH1,200,000 LAK
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW82,000 LAK
AVERAGE330,000 LAK
HIGH700,000 LAK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW46,000 LAK
AVERAGE180,000 LAK
HIGH390,000 LAK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW18,000 LAK
AVERAGE73,000 LAK
HIGH160,000 LAK
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW160,000 LAK
AVERAGE660,000 LAK
HIGH1,400,000 LAK
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Laos

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW450,000 LAK
AVERAGE2,300,000 LAK
HIGH3,600,000 LAK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW68,000 LAK
AVERAGE270,000 LAK
HIGH550,000 LAK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW160,000 LAK
AVERAGE820,000 LAK
HIGH1,300,000 LAK
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW190,000 LAK
AVERAGE960,000 LAK
HIGH1,500,000 LAK
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW150,000 LAK
AVERAGE750,000 LAK
HIGH1,200,000 LAK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW82,000 LAK
AVERAGE410,000 LAK
HIGH660,000 LAK
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW27,000 LAK
AVERAGE140,000 LAK
HIGH220,000 LAK
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW230,000 LAK
AVERAGE1,200,000 LAK
HIGH1,900,000 LAK
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Laos

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,000,000 LAK
AVERAGE3,500,000 LAK
HIGH5,300,000 LAK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW96,000 LAK
AVERAGE440,000 LAK
HIGH490,000 LAK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW260,000 LAK
AVERAGE880,000 LAK
HIGH1,300,000 LAK
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW580,000 LAK
AVERAGE2,000,000 LAK
HIGH3,000,000 LAK
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW260,000 LAK
AVERAGE880,000 LAK
HIGH1,300,000 LAK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW160,000 LAK
AVERAGE550,000 LAK
HIGH820,000 LAK
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW450,000 LAK
AVERAGE1,500,000 LAK
HIGH2,300,000 LAK
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW380,000 LAK
AVERAGE1,300,000 LAK
HIGH2,000,000 LAK
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Laos

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW110,000 LAK
AVERAGE660,000 LAK
HIGH1,400,000 LAK
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW18,000 LAK
AVERAGE110,000 LAK
HIGH240,000 LAK
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW32,000 LAK
AVERAGE190,000 LAK
HIGH420,000 LAK
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW91,000 LAK
AVERAGE550,000 LAK
HIGH1,200,000 LAK
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW27,000 LAK
AVERAGE160,000 LAK
HIGH360,000 LAK
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW23,000 LAK
AVERAGE140,000 LAK
HIGH300,000 LAK
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW87,000 LAK
AVERAGE520,000 LAK
HIGH1,100,000 LAK
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW68,000 LAK
AVERAGE410,000 LAK
HIGH890,000 LAK
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Laos typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,900,000 LAK with expenditure ranging from 480,000 LAK and 3,300,000 LAK. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Laos ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 260,000 LAK with 59,000 LAK and 440,000 LAK being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 130,000 LAK to 920,000 LAK on commuting with 550,000 LAK being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Laos is 1,000,000 LAK. The cost of groceries can range between 250,000 LAK to 1,700,000 LAK. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Laos allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 130,000 LAK to 890,000 LAK with 530,000 LAK being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 78,000 LAK to 540,000 LAK with 320,000 LAK being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 570,000 LAK per month with 140,000 LAK being the minimum spent amount and 950,000 LAK being the maximum.

©copound