Cost Of Living in Latvia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Latvia

Whether you're living in Latvia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,000 LVL
average per month
260 LVL
Range
2,200 LVL

Couple
2,000 LVL
average per month
390 LVL
Range
3,100 LVL

Family
3,100 LVL
average per month
910 LVL
Range
4,700 LVL

Student
780 LVL
average per month
130 LVL
Range
1,700 LVL
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Latvia is 1,000 LVL. Expenses can range from 260 LVL at the minimum level to 2,200 LVL at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Latvia is 2,000 LVL. Expenditure can range from 390 LVL to 3,100 LVL per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Latvia is 3,100 LVL per month. Families spend anywhere from 910 LVL to 4,700 LVL.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Latvia is 780 LVL. Students spend from 130 LVL to 1,700 LVL per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Latvia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.26 LVL

0.26 LVL
0.26 LVL

Fast food
combo meal

2.6 LVL

1.9 LVL
4.4 LVL

Restaurant
meal for one

8.7 LVL

6.9 LVL
11 LVL

Fine dining
meal for one

22 LVL

15 LVL
26 LVL

Soda
Soft Drink

0.22 LVL

0.22 LVL
0.22 LVL

Cappuccino
or latte

1.7 LVL

1.1 LVL
2.6 LVL

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1.3 LVL

1.1 LVL
1.5 LVL

Loaf of
bread

0.19 LVL

0.16 LVL
0.22 LVL

12
eggs

1.3 LVL

1.1 LVL
1.6 LVL

Fresh whole
chicken

3.0 LVL

2.4 LVL
3.7 LVL

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

3.4 LVL

2.9 LVL
4.4 LVL

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

1.9 LVL

1.6 LVL
2.2 LVL

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

0.87 LVL

0.73 LVL
1.1 LVL

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

0.93 LVL

0.82 LVL
1.0 LVL

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

0.90 LVL

0.79 LVL
1.0 LVL

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1.3 LVL

1.1 LVL
2.6 LVL

Average car
full tank

8.7 LVL

6.5 LVL
17 LVL

Average car
1-day rental

8.7 LVL

6.5 LVL
13 LVL

Average car
price

6,500 LVL

3,300 LVL
8,700 LVL

Bus ticket
one way

0.33 LVL

0.22 LVL
0.65 LVL

Car
Service

13 LVL

8.7 LVL
26 LVL

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

63 LVL

16 LVL
130 LVL

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

78 LVL

20 LVL
160 LVL

Electricity
and water bill
Family

130 LVL

27 LVL
140 LVL

Internet
and cable

13 LVL

6.5 LVL
17 LVL

Mobile phone
charges

8.7 LVL

5.2 LVL
26 LVL

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

4.4 LVL

3.3 LVL
6.5 LVL

One month gym
membership

13 LVL

10 LVL
26 LVL

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

11 LVL

7.7 LVL
16 LVL

Woman
dress

10 LVL

7.3 LVL
33 LVL

Woman
shoes

9.3 LVL

6.9 LVL
22 LVL

Men
shoes

7.3 LVL

5.9 LVL
15 LVL

Men
suit

8.2 LVL

6.5 LVL
44 LVL

Regular
t-shirt

4.4 LVL

3.3 LVL
13 LVL

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

160 LVL

110 LVL
440 LVL

1-bedroom
apartment

260 LVL

160 LVL
650 LVL

2-bedroom
apartment

330 LVL

220 LVL
870 LVL

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

33,000 LVL

22,000 LVL
65,000 LVL

1-bedroom
apartment

44,000 LVL

26,000 LVL
160,000 LVL

2-bedroom
apartment

130,000 LVL

44,000 LVL
260,000 LVL

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

160 LVL

130 LVL
220 LVL

Double
Bed

130 LVL

87 LVL
160 LVL

Single
Bed

100 LVL

77 LVL
130 LVL

Living
Room

190 LVL

150 LVL
650 LVL

Dining
Table

87 LVL

65 LVL
160 LVL

Sofa
or Couch

120 LVL

87 LVL
260 LVL

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

130 LVL

87 LVL
260 LVL

Fridge
or Freezer

120 LVL

77 LVL
160 LVL

Washing
Machine

150 LVL

100 LVL
260 LVL

Stove
or Cooker

120 LVL

93 LVL
160 LVL

Mobile
Phone

130 LVL

110 LVL
190 LVL

Laptop
or Computer

150 LVL

120 LVL
260 LVL

How do people spend their money in Latvia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Latvia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW94 LVL
AVERAGE380 LVL
HIGH800 LVL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16 LVL
AVERAGE63 LVL
HIGH130 LVL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW21 LVL
AVERAGE84 LVL
HIGH180 LVL
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW42 LVL
AVERAGE170 LVL
HIGH360 LVL
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW24 LVL
AVERAGE94 LVL
HIGH200 LVL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW13 LVL
AVERAGE52 LVL
HIGH110 LVL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW5.2 LVL
AVERAGE21 LVL
HIGH44 LVL
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW47 LVL
AVERAGE190 LVL
HIGH400 LVL
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Latvia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW130 LVL
AVERAGE650 LVL
HIGH1,000 LVL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW20 LVL
AVERAGE78 LVL
HIGH160 LVL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW47 LVL
AVERAGE240 LVL
HIGH380 LVL
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW55 LVL
AVERAGE270 LVL
HIGH440 LVL
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW43 LVL
AVERAGE220 LVL
HIGH340 LVL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW24 LVL
AVERAGE120 LVL
HIGH190 LVL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW7.8 LVL
AVERAGE39 LVL
HIGH63 LVL
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW67 LVL
AVERAGE330 LVL
HIGH530 LVL
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Latvia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW290 LVL
AVERAGE1,000 LVL
HIGH1,500 LVL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW27 LVL
AVERAGE130 LVL
HIGH140 LVL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW73 LVL
AVERAGE250 LVL
HIGH380 LVL
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW160 LVL
AVERAGE560 LVL
HIGH850 LVL
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW73 LVL
AVERAGE250 LVL
HIGH380 LVL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW46 LVL
AVERAGE160 LVL
HIGH240 LVL
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW130 LVL
AVERAGE440 LVL
HIGH660 LVL
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW110 LVL
AVERAGE380 LVL
HIGH560 LVL
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Latvia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW31 LVL
AVERAGE190 LVL
HIGH410 LVL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW5.2 LVL
AVERAGE31 LVL
HIGH68 LVL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW9.1 LVL
AVERAGE55 LVL
HIGH120 LVL
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW26 LVL
AVERAGE160 LVL
HIGH340 LVL
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW7.8 LVL
AVERAGE47 LVL
HIGH100 LVL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW6.5 LVL
AVERAGE39 LVL
HIGH85 LVL
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW25 LVL
AVERAGE150 LVL
HIGH320 LVL
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW20 LVL
AVERAGE120 LVL
HIGH250 LVL
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Latvia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 550 LVL with expenditure ranging from 140 LVL and 940 LVL. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Latvia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 74 LVL with 17 LVL and 120 LVL being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 38 LVL to 260 LVL on commuting with 160 LVL being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Latvia is 290 LVL. The cost of groceries can range between 72 LVL to 490 LVL. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Latvia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 37 LVL to 260 LVL with 150 LVL being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 22 LVL to 150 LVL with 91 LVL being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 160 LVL per month with 41 LVL being the minimum spent amount and 270 LVL being the maximum.

Riga  
©copound