Cost Of Living in Lebanon

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Lebanon

Whether you're living in Lebanon or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,200 USD
average per month
290 USD
Range
2,500 USD

Couple
2,200 USD
average per month
440 USD
Range
3,500 USD

Family
3,500 USD
average per month
1,000 USD
Range
5,200 USD

Student
870 USD
average per month
150 USD
Range
1,900 USD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Lebanon is 1,200 USD. Expenses can range from 290 USD at the minimum level to 2,500 USD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Lebanon is 2,200 USD. Expenditure can range from 440 USD to 3,500 USD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Lebanon is 3,500 USD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,000 USD to 5,200 USD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Lebanon is 870 USD. Students spend from 150 USD to 1,900 USD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Lebanon

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.29 USD

0.29 USD
0.29 USD

Fast food
combo meal

2.9 USD

2.1 USD
4.8 USD

Restaurant
meal for one

9.7 USD

7.6 USD
12 USD

Fine dining
meal for one

24 USD

16 USD
29 USD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.24 USD

0.24 USD
0.24 USD

Cappuccino
or latte

1.9 USD

1.2 USD
2.9 USD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1.5 USD

1.2 USD
1.6 USD

Loaf of
bread

0.21 USD

0.18 USD
0.24 USD

12
eggs

1.5 USD

1.2 USD
1.8 USD

Fresh whole
chicken

3.4 USD

2.6 USD
4.2 USD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

3.8 USD

3.2 USD
4.8 USD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2.1 USD

1.8 USD
2.4 USD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

0.97 USD

0.81 USD
1.2 USD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.0 USD

0.91 USD
1.1 USD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.0 USD

0.88 USD
1.1 USD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1.5 USD

1.2 USD
2.9 USD

Average car
full tank

9.7 USD

7.3 USD
19 USD

Average car
1-day rental

9.7 USD

7.3 USD
15 USD

Average car
price

7,300 USD

3,600 USD
9,700 USD

Bus ticket
one way

0.36 USD

0.24 USD
0.73 USD

Car
Service

15 USD

9.7 USD
29 USD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

70 USD

17 USD
150 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

87 USD

22 USD
170 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

140 USD

30 USD
160 USD

Internet
and cable

15 USD

7.3 USD
19 USD

Mobile phone
charges

9.7 USD

5.8 USD
29 USD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

4.8 USD

3.6 USD
7.3 USD

One month gym
membership

15 USD

12 USD
29 USD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

12 USD

8.5 USD
18 USD

Woman
dress

11 USD

8.1 USD
36 USD

Woman
shoes

10 USD

7.6 USD
24 USD

Men
shoes

8.1 USD

6.6 USD
16 USD

Men
suit

9.1 USD

7.3 USD
48 USD

Regular
t-shirt

4.8 USD

3.6 USD
15 USD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

180 USD

120 USD
480 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

290 USD

180 USD
730 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

360 USD

240 USD
970 USD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

36,000 USD

24,000 USD
73,000 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

48,000 USD

29,000 USD
180,000 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

150,000 USD

48,000 USD
290,000 USD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

180 USD

150 USD
240 USD

Double
Bed

150 USD

97 USD
180 USD

Single
Bed

110 USD

85 USD
150 USD

Living
Room

210 USD

160 USD
730 USD

Dining
Table

97 USD

73 USD
180 USD

Sofa
or Couch

130 USD

97 USD
290 USD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

150 USD

97 USD
290 USD

Fridge
or Freezer

130 USD

85 USD
180 USD

Washing
Machine

160 USD

110 USD
290 USD

Stove
or Cooker

130 USD

100 USD
180 USD

Mobile
Phone

150 USD

120 USD
210 USD

Laptop
or Computer

160 USD

130 USD
290 USD

How do people spend their money in Lebanon?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Lebanon

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW100 USD
AVERAGE420 USD
HIGH890 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW17 USD
AVERAGE70 USD
HIGH150 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW23 USD
AVERAGE93 USD
HIGH200 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW46 USD
AVERAGE190 USD
HIGH390 USD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW26 USD
AVERAGE100 USD
HIGH220 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW15 USD
AVERAGE58 USD
HIGH120 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW5.8 USD
AVERAGE23 USD
HIGH49 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW52 USD
AVERAGE210 USD
HIGH440 USD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Lebanon

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW140 USD
AVERAGE720 USD
HIGH1,100 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW22 USD
AVERAGE87 USD
HIGH170 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW52 USD
AVERAGE260 USD
HIGH420 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW61 USD
AVERAGE300 USD
HIGH490 USD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW48 USD
AVERAGE240 USD
HIGH380 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW26 USD
AVERAGE130 USD
HIGH210 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW8.7 USD
AVERAGE44 USD
HIGH70 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW74 USD
AVERAGE370 USD
HIGH590 USD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Lebanon

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW330 USD
AVERAGE1,100 USD
HIGH1,700 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW30 USD
AVERAGE140 USD
HIGH160 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW81 USD
AVERAGE280 USD
HIGH420 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW180 USD
AVERAGE630 USD
HIGH940 USD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW81 USD
AVERAGE280 USD
HIGH420 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW51 USD
AVERAGE170 USD
HIGH260 USD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW140 USD
AVERAGE490 USD
HIGH730 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW120 USD
AVERAGE420 USD
HIGH630 USD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Lebanon

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW35 USD
AVERAGE210 USD
HIGH450 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW5.8 USD
AVERAGE35 USD
HIGH76 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW10 USD
AVERAGE61 USD
HIGH130 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW29 USD
AVERAGE170 USD
HIGH380 USD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW8.7 USD
AVERAGE52 USD
HIGH110 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW7.3 USD
AVERAGE44 USD
HIGH94 USD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW28 USD
AVERAGE170 USD
HIGH360 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW22 USD
AVERAGE130 USD
HIGH280 USD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Lebanon typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 620 USD with expenditure ranging from 150 USD and 1,000 USD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Lebanon ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 83 USD with 19 USD and 140 USD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 42 USD to 290 USD on commuting with 170 USD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Lebanon is 320 USD. The cost of groceries can range between 80 USD to 550 USD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Lebanon allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 41 USD to 280 USD with 170 USD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 25 USD to 170 USD with 100 USD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 180 USD per month with 46 USD being the minimum spent amount and 300 USD being the maximum.

Beirut  
©copound