Cost Of Living in Lesotho

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Lesotho

Whether you're living in Lesotho or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
9,400 LSL
average per month
2,400 LSL
Range
20,000 LSL

Couple
18,000 LSL
average per month
3,500 LSL
Range
28,000 LSL

Family
28,000 LSL
average per month
8,200 LSL
Range
42,000 LSL

Student
7,100 LSL
average per month
1,200 LSL
Range
15,000 LSL
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Lesotho is 9,400 LSL. Expenses can range from 2,400 LSL at the minimum level to 20,000 LSL at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Lesotho is 18,000 LSL. Expenditure can range from 3,500 LSL to 28,000 LSL per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Lesotho is 28,000 LSL per month. Families spend anywhere from 8,200 LSL to 42,000 LSL.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Lesotho is 7,100 LSL. Students spend from 1,200 LSL to 15,000 LSL per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Lesotho

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

2.4 LSL

2.4 LSL
2.4 LSL

Fast food
combo meal

24 LSL

17 LSL
39 LSL

Restaurant
meal for one

79 LSL

62 LSL
98 LSL

Fine dining
meal for one

200 LSL

130 LSL
240 LSL

Soda
Soft Drink

2.0 LSL

2.0 LSL
2.0 LSL

Cappuccino
or latte

16 LSL

9.8 LSL
24 LSL

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

12 LSL

9.8 LSL
13 LSL

Loaf of
bread

1.7 LSL

1.5 LSL
2.0 LSL

12
eggs

12 LSL

9.8 LSL
15 LSL

Fresh whole
chicken

27 LSL

21 LSL
34 LSL

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

31 LSL

26 LSL
39 LSL

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

17 LSL

15 LSL
20 LSL

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

7.9 LSL

6.5 LSL
9.8 LSL

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

8.4 LSL

7.4 LSL
9.1 LSL

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

8.1 LSL

7.1 LSL
9.1 LSL

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

12 LSL

9.8 LSL
24 LSL

Average car
full tank

79 LSL

59 LSL
160 LSL

Average car
1-day rental

79 LSL

59 LSL
120 LSL

Average car
price

59,000 LSL

29,000 LSL
79,000 LSL

Bus ticket
one way

2.9 LSL

2.0 LSL
5.9 LSL

Car
Service

120 LSL

79 LSL
240 LSL

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

570 LSL

140 LSL
1,200 LSL

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

710 LSL

180 LSL
1,400 LSL

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,100 LSL

250 LSL
1,300 LSL

Internet
and cable

120 LSL

59 LSL
160 LSL

Mobile phone
charges

79 LSL

47 LSL
240 LSL

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

39 LSL

29 LSL
59 LSL

One month gym
membership

120 LSL

94 LSL
240 LSL

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

98 LSL

69 LSL
150 LSL

Woman
dress

91 LSL

65 LSL
290 LSL

Woman
shoes

84 LSL

62 LSL
200 LSL

Men
shoes

65 LSL

54 LSL
130 LSL

Men
suit

74 LSL

59 LSL
390 LSL

Regular
t-shirt

39 LSL

29 LSL
120 LSL

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

1,500 LSL

980 LSL
3,900 LSL

1-bedroom
apartment

2,400 LSL

1,500 LSL
5,900 LSL

2-bedroom
apartment

2,900 LSL

2,000 LSL
7,900 LSL

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

290,000 LSL

200,000 LSL
590,000 LSL

1-bedroom
apartment

390,000 LSL

240,000 LSL
1,500,000 LSL

2-bedroom
apartment

1,200,000 LSL

390,000 LSL
2,400,000 LSL

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

1,500 LSL

1,200 LSL
2,000 LSL

Double
Bed

1,200 LSL

790 LSL
1,500 LSL

Single
Bed

910 LSL

690 LSL
1,200 LSL

Living
Room

1,700 LSL

1,300 LSL
5,900 LSL

Dining
Table

790 LSL

590 LSL
1,500 LSL

Sofa
or Couch

1,100 LSL

790 LSL
2,400 LSL

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,200 LSL

790 LSL
2,400 LSL

Fridge
or Freezer

1,100 LSL

690 LSL
1,500 LSL

Washing
Machine

1,300 LSL

910 LSL
2,400 LSL

Stove
or Cooker

1,100 LSL

840 LSL
1,500 LSL

Mobile
Phone

1,200 LSL

980 LSL
1,700 LSL

Laptop
or Computer

1,300 LSL

1,100 LSL
2,400 LSL

How do people spend their money in Lesotho?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Lesotho

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW850 LSL
AVERAGE3,400 LSL
HIGH7,200 LSL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW140 LSL
AVERAGE570 LSL
HIGH1,200 LSL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW190 LSL
AVERAGE750 LSL
HIGH1,600 LSL
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW380 LSL
AVERAGE1,500 LSL
HIGH3,200 LSL
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW210 LSL
AVERAGE850 LSL
HIGH1,800 LSL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW120 LSL
AVERAGE470 LSL
HIGH1,000 LSL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW47 LSL
AVERAGE190 LSL
HIGH400 LSL
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW420 LSL
AVERAGE1,700 LSL
HIGH3,600 LSL
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Lesotho

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,200 LSL
AVERAGE5,800 LSL
HIGH9,300 LSL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW180 LSL
AVERAGE710 LSL
HIGH1,400 LSL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW420 LSL
AVERAGE2,100 LSL
HIGH3,400 LSL
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW490 LSL
AVERAGE2,500 LSL
HIGH4,000 LSL
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW390 LSL
AVERAGE1,900 LSL
HIGH3,100 LSL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW210 LSL
AVERAGE1,100 LSL
HIGH1,700 LSL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW71 LSL
AVERAGE350 LSL
HIGH570 LSL
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW600 LSL
AVERAGE3,000 LSL
HIGH4,800 LSL
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Lesotho

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW2,600 LSL
AVERAGE9,000 LSL
HIGH14,000 LSL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW250 LSL
AVERAGE1,100 LSL
HIGH1,300 LSL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW660 LSL
AVERAGE2,300 LSL
HIGH3,400 LSL
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW1,500 LSL
AVERAGE5,100 LSL
HIGH7,600 LSL
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW660 LSL
AVERAGE2,300 LSL
HIGH3,400 LSL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW410 LSL
AVERAGE1,400 LSL
HIGH2,100 LSL
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,200 LSL
AVERAGE4,000 LSL
HIGH5,900 LSL
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW990 LSL
AVERAGE3,400 LSL
HIGH5,100 LSL
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Lesotho

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW280 LSL
AVERAGE1,700 LSL
HIGH3,700 LSL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW47 LSL
AVERAGE280 LSL
HIGH610 LSL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW82 LSL
AVERAGE490 LSL
HIGH1,100 LSL
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW240 LSL
AVERAGE1,400 LSL
HIGH3,100 LSL
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW71 LSL
AVERAGE420 LSL
HIGH920 LSL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW59 LSL
AVERAGE350 LSL
HIGH770 LSL
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW220 LSL
AVERAGE1,300 LSL
HIGH2,900 LSL
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW180 LSL
AVERAGE1,100 LSL
HIGH2,300 LSL
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Lesotho typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 5,000 LSL with expenditure ranging from 1,200 LSL and 8,400 LSL. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Lesotho ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 670 LSL with 150 LSL and 1,100 LSL being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 340 LSL to 2,400 LSL on commuting with 1,400 LSL being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Lesotho is 2,600 LSL. The cost of groceries can range between 650 LSL to 4,500 LSL. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Lesotho allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 330 LSL to 2,300 LSL with 1,400 LSL being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 200 LSL to 1,400 LSL with 820 LSL being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 1,500 LSL per month with 370 LSL being the minimum spent amount and 2,500 LSL being the maximum.

©copound