Cost Of Living in Liberia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Liberia

Whether you're living in Liberia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
58,000 LRD
average per month
14,000 LRD
Range
120,000 LRD

Couple
110,000 LRD
average per month
22,000 LRD
Range
170,000 LRD

Family
170,000 LRD
average per month
50,000 LRD
Range
260,000 LRD

Student
43,000 LRD
average per month
7,200 LRD
Range
94,000 LRD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Liberia is 58,000 LRD. Expenses can range from 14,000 LRD at the minimum level to 120,000 LRD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Liberia is 110,000 LRD. Expenditure can range from 22,000 LRD to 170,000 LRD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Liberia is 170,000 LRD per month. Families spend anywhere from 50,000 LRD to 260,000 LRD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Liberia is 43,000 LRD. Students spend from 7,200 LRD to 94,000 LRD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Liberia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

14 LRD

14 LRD
14 LRD

Fast food
combo meal

140 LRD

100 LRD
240 LRD

Restaurant
meal for one

480 LRD

380 LRD
600 LRD

Fine dining
meal for one

1,200 LRD

800 LRD
1,400 LRD

Soda
Soft Drink

12 LRD

12 LRD
12 LRD

Cappuccino
or latte

96 LRD

60 LRD
140 LRD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

72 LRD

60 LRD
80 LRD

Loaf of
bread

10 LRD

9.0 LRD
12 LRD

12
eggs

72 LRD

60 LRD
90 LRD

Fresh whole
chicken

170 LRD

130 LRD
210 LRD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

190 LRD

160 LRD
240 LRD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

100 LRD

90 LRD
120 LRD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

48 LRD

40 LRD
60 LRD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

51 LRD

45 LRD
55 LRD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

50 LRD

44 LRD
55 LRD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

72 LRD

60 LRD
140 LRD

Average car
full tank

480 LRD

360 LRD
960 LRD

Average car
1-day rental

480 LRD

360 LRD
720 LRD

Average car
price

360,000 LRD

180,000 LRD
480,000 LRD

Bus ticket
one way

18 LRD

12 LRD
36 LRD

Car
Service

720 LRD

480 LRD
1,400 LRD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

3,500 LRD

860 LRD
7,300 LRD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

4,300 LRD

1,100 LRD
8,600 LRD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

6,900 LRD

1,500 LRD
7,800 LRD

Internet
and cable

720 LRD

360 LRD
960 LRD

Mobile phone
charges

480 LRD

290 LRD
1,400 LRD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

240 LRD

180 LRD
360 LRD

One month gym
membership

720 LRD

580 LRD
1,400 LRD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

600 LRD

420 LRD
900 LRD

Woman
dress

550 LRD

400 LRD
1,800 LRD

Woman
shoes

510 LRD

380 LRD
1,200 LRD

Men
shoes

400 LRD

330 LRD
800 LRD

Men
suit

450 LRD

360 LRD
2,400 LRD

Regular
t-shirt

240 LRD

180 LRD
720 LRD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

9,000 LRD

6,000 LRD
24,000 LRD

1-bedroom
apartment

14,000 LRD

9,000 LRD
36,000 LRD

2-bedroom
apartment

18,000 LRD

12,000 LRD
48,000 LRD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

1,800,000 LRD

1,200,000 LRD
3,600,000 LRD

1-bedroom
apartment

2,400,000 LRD

1,400,000 LRD
9,000,000 LRD

2-bedroom
apartment

7,200,000 LRD

2,400,000 LRD
14,000,000 LRD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

9,000 LRD

7,200 LRD
12,000 LRD

Double
Bed

7,200 LRD

4,800 LRD
9,000 LRD

Single
Bed

5,500 LRD

4,200 LRD
7,200 LRD

Living
Room

10,000 LRD

8,000 LRD
36,000 LRD

Dining
Table

4,800 LRD

3,600 LRD
9,000 LRD

Sofa
or Couch

6,500 LRD

4,800 LRD
14,000 LRD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

7,200 LRD

4,800 LRD
14,000 LRD

Fridge
or Freezer

6,500 LRD

4,200 LRD
9,000 LRD

Washing
Machine

8,000 LRD

5,500 LRD
14,000 LRD

Stove
or Cooker

6,500 LRD

5,100 LRD
9,000 LRD

Mobile
Phone

7,200 LRD

6,000 LRD
10,000 LRD

Laptop
or Computer

8,000 LRD

6,500 LRD
14,000 LRD

How do people spend their money in Liberia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Liberia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW5,200 LRD
AVERAGE21,000 LRD
HIGH44,000 LRD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW860 LRD
AVERAGE3,500 LRD
HIGH7,300 LRD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW1,200 LRD
AVERAGE4,600 LRD
HIGH9,800 LRD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW2,300 LRD
AVERAGE9,200 LRD
HIGH20,000 LRD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,300 LRD
AVERAGE5,200 LRD
HIGH11,000 LRD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW720 LRD
AVERAGE2,900 LRD
HIGH6,100 LRD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW290 LRD
AVERAGE1,200 LRD
HIGH2,400 LRD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW2,600 LRD
AVERAGE10,000 LRD
HIGH22,000 LRD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Liberia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW7,100 LRD
AVERAGE36,000 LRD
HIGH57,000 LRD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW1,100 LRD
AVERAGE4,300 LRD
HIGH8,600 LRD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW2,600 LRD
AVERAGE13,000 LRD
HIGH21,000 LRD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW3,000 LRD
AVERAGE15,000 LRD
HIGH24,000 LRD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW2,400 LRD
AVERAGE12,000 LRD
HIGH19,000 LRD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW1,300 LRD
AVERAGE6,500 LRD
HIGH10,000 LRD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW430 LRD
AVERAGE2,200 LRD
HIGH3,500 LRD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW3,700 LRD
AVERAGE18,000 LRD
HIGH29,000 LRD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Liberia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW16,000 LRD
AVERAGE55,000 LRD
HIGH83,000 LRD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW1,500 LRD
AVERAGE6,900 LRD
HIGH7,800 LRD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW4,000 LRD
AVERAGE14,000 LRD
HIGH21,000 LRD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW9,100 LRD
AVERAGE31,000 LRD
HIGH47,000 LRD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW4,000 LRD
AVERAGE14,000 LRD
HIGH21,000 LRD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW2,500 LRD
AVERAGE8,600 LRD
HIGH13,000 LRD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW7,100 LRD
AVERAGE24,000 LRD
HIGH36,000 LRD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW6,100 LRD
AVERAGE21,000 LRD
HIGH31,000 LRD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Liberia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW1,700 LRD
AVERAGE10,000 LRD
HIGH22,000 LRD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW290 LRD
AVERAGE1,700 LRD
HIGH3,700 LRD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW500 LRD
AVERAGE3,000 LRD
HIGH6,600 LRD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW1,400 LRD
AVERAGE8,600 LRD
HIGH19,000 LRD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW430 LRD
AVERAGE2,600 LRD
HIGH5,600 LRD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW360 LRD
AVERAGE2,200 LRD
HIGH4,700 LRD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW1,400 LRD
AVERAGE8,200 LRD
HIGH18,000 LRD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW1,100 LRD
AVERAGE6,500 LRD
HIGH14,000 LRD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Liberia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 31,000 LRD with expenditure ranging from 7,500 LRD and 52,000 LRD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Liberia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 4,100 LRD with 940 LRD and 6,900 LRD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 2,100 LRD to 14,000 LRD on commuting with 8,600 LRD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Liberia is 16,000 LRD. The cost of groceries can range between 4,000 LRD to 27,000 LRD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Liberia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 2,000 LRD to 14,000 LRD with 8,400 LRD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 1,200 LRD to 8,500 LRD with 5,000 LRD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 8,900 LRD per month with 2,300 LRD being the minimum spent amount and 15,000 LRD being the maximum.

©copound