Cost Of Living in Libya

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Libya

Whether you're living in Libya or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,800 LYD
average per month
460 LYD
Range
3,900 LYD

Couple
3,400 LYD
average per month
690 LYD
Range
5,500 LYD

Family
5,500 LYD
average per month
1,600 LYD
Range
8,300 LYD

Student
1,400 LYD
average per month
230 LYD
Range
3,000 LYD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Libya is 1,800 LYD. Expenses can range from 460 LYD at the minimum level to 3,900 LYD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Libya is 3,400 LYD. Expenditure can range from 690 LYD to 5,500 LYD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Libya is 5,500 LYD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,600 LYD to 8,300 LYD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Libya is 1,400 LYD. Students spend from 230 LYD to 3,000 LYD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Libya

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.46 LYD

0.46 LYD
0.46 LYD

Fast food
combo meal

4.6 LYD

3.3 LYD
7.7 LYD

Restaurant
meal for one

15 LYD

12 LYD
19 LYD

Fine dining
meal for one

38 LYD

26 LYD
46 LYD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.38 LYD

0.38 LYD
0.38 LYD

Cappuccino
or latte

3.1 LYD

1.9 LYD
4.6 LYD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.3 LYD

1.9 LYD
2.6 LYD

Loaf of
bread

0.33 LYD

0.29 LYD
0.38 LYD

12
eggs

2.3 LYD

1.9 LYD
2.9 LYD

Fresh whole
chicken

5.3 LYD

4.2 LYD
6.6 LYD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

6.0 LYD

5.1 LYD
7.7 LYD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

3.3 LYD

2.9 LYD
3.8 LYD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.5 LYD

1.3 LYD
1.9 LYD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.6 LYD

1.4 LYD
1.8 LYD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.6 LYD

1.4 LYD
1.8 LYD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.3 LYD

1.9 LYD
4.6 LYD

Average car
full tank

15 LYD

11 LYD
31 LYD

Average car
1-day rental

15 LYD

11 LYD
23 LYD

Average car
price

11,000 LYD

5,700 LYD
15,000 LYD

Bus ticket
one way

0.57 LYD

0.38 LYD
1.2 LYD

Car
Service

23 LYD

15 LYD
46 LYD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

110 LYD

28 LYD
230 LYD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

140 LYD

34 LYD
280 LYD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

220 LYD

48 LYD
250 LYD

Internet
and cable

23 LYD

11 LYD
31 LYD

Mobile phone
charges

15 LYD

9.2 LYD
46 LYD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

7.7 LYD

5.7 LYD
11 LYD

One month gym
membership

23 LYD

18 LYD
46 LYD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

19 LYD

14 LYD
29 LYD

Woman
dress

18 LYD

13 LYD
57 LYD

Woman
shoes

16 LYD

12 LYD
38 LYD

Men
shoes

13 LYD

10 LYD
26 LYD

Men
suit

14 LYD

11 LYD
77 LYD

Regular
t-shirt

7.7 LYD

5.7 LYD
23 LYD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

290 LYD

190 LYD
770 LYD

1-bedroom
apartment

460 LYD

290 LYD
1,100 LYD

2-bedroom
apartment

570 LYD

380 LYD
1,500 LYD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

57,000 LYD

38,000 LYD
110,000 LYD

1-bedroom
apartment

77,000 LYD

46,000 LYD
290,000 LYD

2-bedroom
apartment

230,000 LYD

77,000 LYD
460,000 LYD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

290 LYD

230 LYD
380 LYD

Double
Bed

230 LYD

150 LYD
290 LYD

Single
Bed

180 LYD

140 LYD
230 LYD

Living
Room

330 LYD

260 LYD
1,100 LYD

Dining
Table

150 LYD

110 LYD
290 LYD

Sofa
or Couch

210 LYD

150 LYD
460 LYD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

230 LYD

150 LYD
460 LYD

Fridge
or Freezer

210 LYD

140 LYD
290 LYD

Washing
Machine

260 LYD

180 LYD
460 LYD

Stove
or Cooker

210 LYD

160 LYD
290 LYD

Mobile
Phone

230 LYD

190 LYD
330 LYD

Laptop
or Computer

260 LYD

210 LYD
460 LYD

How do people spend their money in Libya?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Libya

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW170 LYD
AVERAGE660 LYD
HIGH1,400 LYD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW28 LYD
AVERAGE110 LYD
HIGH230 LYD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW37 LYD
AVERAGE150 LYD
HIGH310 LYD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW73 LYD
AVERAGE290 LYD
HIGH620 LYD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW41 LYD
AVERAGE170 LYD
HIGH350 LYD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW23 LYD
AVERAGE92 LYD
HIGH200 LYD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW9.2 LYD
AVERAGE37 LYD
HIGH78 LYD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW83 LYD
AVERAGE330 LYD
HIGH700 LYD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Libya

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW230 LYD
AVERAGE1,100 LYD
HIGH1,800 LYD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW34 LYD
AVERAGE140 LYD
HIGH280 LYD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW83 LYD
AVERAGE410 LYD
HIGH660 LYD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW96 LYD
AVERAGE480 LYD
HIGH770 LYD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW76 LYD
AVERAGE380 LYD
HIGH610 LYD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW41 LYD
AVERAGE210 LYD
HIGH330 LYD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW14 LYD
AVERAGE69 LYD
HIGH110 LYD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW120 LYD
AVERAGE590 LYD
HIGH940 LYD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Libya

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW510 LYD
AVERAGE1,800 LYD
HIGH2,600 LYD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW48 LYD
AVERAGE220 LYD
HIGH250 LYD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW130 LYD
AVERAGE440 LYD
HIGH660 LYD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW290 LYD
AVERAGE990 LYD
HIGH1,500 LYD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW130 LYD
AVERAGE440 LYD
HIGH660 LYD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW80 LYD
AVERAGE280 LYD
HIGH410 LYD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW220 LYD
AVERAGE770 LYD
HIGH1,200 LYD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW190 LYD
AVERAGE660 LYD
HIGH990 LYD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Libya

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW55 LYD
AVERAGE330 LYD
HIGH720 LYD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW9.2 LYD
AVERAGE55 LYD
HIGH120 LYD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW16 LYD
AVERAGE96 LYD
HIGH210 LYD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW46 LYD
AVERAGE280 LYD
HIGH600 LYD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW14 LYD
AVERAGE83 LYD
HIGH180 LYD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW11 LYD
AVERAGE69 LYD
HIGH150 LYD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW44 LYD
AVERAGE260 LYD
HIGH570 LYD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW34 LYD
AVERAGE210 LYD
HIGH450 LYD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Libya typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 970 LYD with expenditure ranging from 240 LYD and 1,600 LYD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Libya ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 130 LYD with 30 LYD and 220 LYD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 66 LYD to 460 LYD on commuting with 270 LYD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Libya is 510 LYD. The cost of groceries can range between 130 LYD to 870 LYD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Libya allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 65 LYD to 450 LYD with 270 LYD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 39 LYD to 270 LYD with 160 LYD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 280 LYD per month with 73 LYD being the minimum spent amount and 480 LYD being the maximum.

©copound