Cost Of Living in Liechtenstein

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Liechtenstein

Whether you're living in Liechtenstein or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
4,300 CHF
average per month
1,100 CHF
Range
9,100 CHF

Couple
8,000 CHF
average per month
1,600 CHF
Range
13,000 CHF

Family
13,000 CHF
average per month
3,700 CHF
Range
19,000 CHF

Student
3,200 CHF
average per month
530 CHF
Range
6,900 CHF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Liechtenstein is 4,300 CHF. Expenses can range from 1,100 CHF at the minimum level to 9,100 CHF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Liechtenstein is 8,000 CHF. Expenditure can range from 1,600 CHF to 13,000 CHF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Liechtenstein is 13,000 CHF per month. Families spend anywhere from 3,700 CHF to 19,000 CHF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Liechtenstein is 3,200 CHF. Students spend from 530 CHF to 6,900 CHF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Liechtenstein

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.1 CHF

1.1 CHF
1.1 CHF

Fast food
combo meal

11 CHF

7.6 CHF
18 CHF

Restaurant
meal for one

36 CHF

28 CHF
44 CHF

Fine dining
meal for one

89 CHF

59 CHF
110 CHF

Soda
Soft Drink

0.89 CHF

0.89 CHF
0.89 CHF

Cappuccino
or latte

7.1 CHF

4.4 CHF
11 CHF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

5.3 CHF

4.4 CHF
5.9 CHF

Loaf of
bread

0.76 CHF

0.67 CHF
0.89 CHF

12
eggs

5.3 CHF

4.4 CHF
6.7 CHF

Fresh whole
chicken

12 CHF

9.7 CHF
15 CHF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

14 CHF

12 CHF
18 CHF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

7.6 CHF

6.7 CHF
8.9 CHF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

3.6 CHF

3.0 CHF
4.4 CHF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

3.8 CHF

3.3 CHF
4.1 CHF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

3.7 CHF

3.2 CHF
4.1 CHF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

5.3 CHF

4.4 CHF
11 CHF

Average car
full tank

36 CHF

27 CHF
71 CHF

Average car
1-day rental

36 CHF

27 CHF
53 CHF

Average car
price

27,000 CHF

13,000 CHF
36,000 CHF

Bus ticket
one way

1.3 CHF

0.89 CHF
2.7 CHF

Car
Service

53 CHF

36 CHF
110 CHF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

260 CHF

64 CHF
540 CHF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

320 CHF

80 CHF
640 CHF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

510 CHF

110 CHF
580 CHF

Internet
and cable

53 CHF

27 CHF
71 CHF

Mobile phone
charges

36 CHF

21 CHF
110 CHF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

18 CHF

13 CHF
27 CHF

One month gym
membership

53 CHF

43 CHF
110 CHF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

44 CHF

31 CHF
67 CHF

Woman
dress

41 CHF

30 CHF
130 CHF

Woman
shoes

38 CHF

28 CHF
89 CHF

Men
shoes

30 CHF

24 CHF
59 CHF

Men
suit

33 CHF

27 CHF
180 CHF

Regular
t-shirt

18 CHF

13 CHF
53 CHF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

670 CHF

440 CHF
1,800 CHF

1-bedroom
apartment

1,100 CHF

670 CHF
2,700 CHF

2-bedroom
apartment

1,300 CHF

890 CHF
3,600 CHF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

130,000 CHF

89,000 CHF
270,000 CHF

1-bedroom
apartment

180,000 CHF

110,000 CHF
670,000 CHF

2-bedroom
apartment

530,000 CHF

180,000 CHF
1,100,000 CHF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

670 CHF

530 CHF
890 CHF

Double
Bed

530 CHF

360 CHF
670 CHF

Single
Bed

410 CHF

310 CHF
530 CHF

Living
Room

760 CHF

590 CHF
2,700 CHF

Dining
Table

360 CHF

270 CHF
670 CHF

Sofa
or Couch

480 CHF

360 CHF
1,100 CHF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

530 CHF

360 CHF
1,100 CHF

Fridge
or Freezer

480 CHF

310 CHF
670 CHF

Washing
Machine

590 CHF

410 CHF
1,100 CHF

Stove
or Cooker

480 CHF

380 CHF
670 CHF

Mobile
Phone

530 CHF

440 CHF
760 CHF

Laptop
or Computer

590 CHF

480 CHF
1,100 CHF

How do people spend their money in Liechtenstein?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Liechtenstein

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW380 CHF
AVERAGE1,500 CHF
HIGH3,300 CHF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW64 CHF
AVERAGE260 CHF
HIGH540 CHF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW85 CHF
AVERAGE340 CHF
HIGH720 CHF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW170 CHF
AVERAGE680 CHF
HIGH1,400 CHF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW96 CHF
AVERAGE380 CHF
HIGH820 CHF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW53 CHF
AVERAGE210 CHF
HIGH450 CHF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW21 CHF
AVERAGE85 CHF
HIGH180 CHF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW190 CHF
AVERAGE770 CHF
HIGH1,600 CHF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Liechtenstein

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW530 CHF
AVERAGE2,600 CHF
HIGH4,200 CHF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW80 CHF
AVERAGE320 CHF
HIGH640 CHF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW190 CHF
AVERAGE960 CHF
HIGH1,500 CHF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW220 CHF
AVERAGE1,100 CHF
HIGH1,800 CHF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW180 CHF
AVERAGE880 CHF
HIGH1,400 CHF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW96 CHF
AVERAGE480 CHF
HIGH770 CHF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW32 CHF
AVERAGE160 CHF
HIGH260 CHF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW270 CHF
AVERAGE1,400 CHF
HIGH2,200 CHF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Liechtenstein

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,200 CHF
AVERAGE4,100 CHF
HIGH6,100 CHF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW110 CHF
AVERAGE510 CHF
HIGH580 CHF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW300 CHF
AVERAGE1,000 CHF
HIGH1,500 CHF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW670 CHF
AVERAGE2,300 CHF
HIGH3,500 CHF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW300 CHF
AVERAGE1,000 CHF
HIGH1,500 CHF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW190 CHF
AVERAGE640 CHF
HIGH960 CHF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW520 CHF
AVERAGE1,800 CHF
HIGH2,700 CHF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW450 CHF
AVERAGE1,500 CHF
HIGH2,300 CHF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Liechtenstein

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW130 CHF
AVERAGE770 CHF
HIGH1,700 CHF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW21 CHF
AVERAGE130 CHF
HIGH280 CHF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW37 CHF
AVERAGE220 CHF
HIGH490 CHF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW110 CHF
AVERAGE640 CHF
HIGH1,400 CHF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW32 CHF
AVERAGE190 CHF
HIGH420 CHF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW27 CHF
AVERAGE160 CHF
HIGH350 CHF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW100 CHF
AVERAGE610 CHF
HIGH1,300 CHF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW80 CHF
AVERAGE480 CHF
HIGH1,000 CHF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Liechtenstein typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,300 CHF with expenditure ranging from 560 CHF and 3,800 CHF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Liechtenstein ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 300 CHF with 69 CHF and 510 CHF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 150 CHF to 1,100 CHF on commuting with 640 CHF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Liechtenstein is 1,200 CHF. The cost of groceries can range between 290 CHF to 2,000 CHF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Liechtenstein allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 150 CHF to 1,000 CHF with 620 CHF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 91 CHF to 630 CHF with 370 CHF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 660 CHF per month with 170 CHF being the minimum spent amount and 1,100 CHF being the maximum.

©copound