Cost Of Living in Lithuania

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Lithuania

Whether you're living in Lithuania or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,600 LTL
average per month
660 LTL
Range
5,600 LTL

Couple
4,900 LTL
average per month
990 LTL
Range
7,900 LTL

Family
7,900 LTL
average per month
2,300 LTL
Range
12,000 LTL

Student
2,000 LTL
average per month
330 LTL
Range
4,300 LTL
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Lithuania is 2,600 LTL. Expenses can range from 660 LTL at the minimum level to 5,600 LTL at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Lithuania is 4,900 LTL. Expenditure can range from 990 LTL to 7,900 LTL per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Lithuania is 7,900 LTL per month. Families spend anywhere from 2,300 LTL to 12,000 LTL.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Lithuania is 2,000 LTL. Students spend from 330 LTL to 4,300 LTL per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Lithuania

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.66 LTL

0.66 LTL
0.66 LTL

Fast food
combo meal

6.6 LTL

4.7 LTL
11 LTL

Restaurant
meal for one

22 LTL

17 LTL
27 LTL

Fine dining
meal for one

55 LTL

37 LTL
66 LTL

Soda
Soft Drink

0.55 LTL

0.55 LTL
0.55 LTL

Cappuccino
or latte

4.4 LTL

2.7 LTL
6.6 LTL

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

3.3 LTL

2.7 LTL
3.7 LTL

Loaf of
bread

0.47 LTL

0.41 LTL
0.55 LTL

12
eggs

3.3 LTL

2.7 LTL
4.1 LTL

Fresh whole
chicken

7.6 LTL

6.0 LTL
9.4 LTL

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

8.6 LTL

7.3 LTL
11 LTL

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

4.7 LTL

4.1 LTL
5.5 LTL

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

2.2 LTL

1.8 LTL
2.7 LTL

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

2.4 LTL

2.1 LTL
2.5 LTL

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

2.3 LTL

2.0 LTL
2.5 LTL

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

3.3 LTL

2.7 LTL
6.6 LTL

Average car
full tank

22 LTL

16 LTL
44 LTL

Average car
1-day rental

22 LTL

16 LTL
33 LTL

Average car
price

16,000 LTL

8,200 LTL
22,000 LTL

Bus ticket
one way

0.82 LTL

0.55 LTL
1.6 LTL

Car
Service

33 LTL

22 LTL
66 LTL

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

160 LTL

39 LTL
340 LTL

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

200 LTL

49 LTL
390 LTL

Electricity
and water bill
Family

320 LTL

69 LTL
350 LTL

Internet
and cable

33 LTL

16 LTL
44 LTL

Mobile phone
charges

22 LTL

13 LTL
66 LTL

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

11 LTL

8.2 LTL
16 LTL

One month gym
membership

33 LTL

26 LTL
66 LTL

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

27 LTL

19 LTL
41 LTL

Woman
dress

25 LTL

18 LTL
82 LTL

Woman
shoes

23 LTL

17 LTL
55 LTL

Men
shoes

18 LTL

15 LTL
37 LTL

Men
suit

21 LTL

16 LTL
110 LTL

Regular
t-shirt

11 LTL

8.2 LTL
33 LTL

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

410 LTL

270 LTL
1,100 LTL

1-bedroom
apartment

660 LTL

410 LTL
1,600 LTL

2-bedroom
apartment

820 LTL

550 LTL
2,200 LTL

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

82,000 LTL

55,000 LTL
160,000 LTL

1-bedroom
apartment

110,000 LTL

66,000 LTL
410,000 LTL

2-bedroom
apartment

330,000 LTL

110,000 LTL
660,000 LTL

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

410 LTL

330 LTL
550 LTL

Double
Bed

330 LTL

220 LTL
410 LTL

Single
Bed

250 LTL

190 LTL
330 LTL

Living
Room

470 LTL

370 LTL
1,600 LTL

Dining
Table

220 LTL

160 LTL
410 LTL

Sofa
or Couch

300 LTL

220 LTL
660 LTL

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

330 LTL

220 LTL
660 LTL

Fridge
or Freezer

300 LTL

190 LTL
410 LTL

Washing
Machine

370 LTL

250 LTL
660 LTL

Stove
or Cooker

300 LTL

230 LTL
410 LTL

Mobile
Phone

330 LTL

270 LTL
470 LTL

Laptop
or Computer

370 LTL

300 LTL
660 LTL

How do people spend their money in Lithuania?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Lithuania

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW240 LTL
AVERAGE950 LTL
HIGH2,000 LTL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW39 LTL
AVERAGE160 LTL
HIGH340 LTL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW53 LTL
AVERAGE210 LTL
HIGH450 LTL
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW110 LTL
AVERAGE420 LTL
HIGH890 LTL
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW59 LTL
AVERAGE240 LTL
HIGH500 LTL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW33 LTL
AVERAGE130 LTL
HIGH280 LTL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW13 LTL
AVERAGE53 LTL
HIGH110 LTL
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW120 LTL
AVERAGE470 LTL
HIGH1,000 LTL
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Lithuania

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW330 LTL
AVERAGE1,600 LTL
HIGH2,600 LTL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW49 LTL
AVERAGE200 LTL
HIGH390 LTL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW120 LTL
AVERAGE590 LTL
HIGH950 LTL
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW140 LTL
AVERAGE690 LTL
HIGH1,100 LTL
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW110 LTL
AVERAGE540 LTL
HIGH870 LTL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW59 LTL
AVERAGE300 LTL
HIGH470 LTL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW20 LTL
AVERAGE99 LTL
HIGH160 LTL
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW170 LTL
AVERAGE840 LTL
HIGH1,300 LTL
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Lithuania

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW740 LTL
AVERAGE2,500 LTL
HIGH3,800 LTL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW69 LTL
AVERAGE320 LTL
HIGH350 LTL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW180 LTL
AVERAGE630 LTL
HIGH950 LTL
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW410 LTL
AVERAGE1,400 LTL
HIGH2,100 LTL
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW180 LTL
AVERAGE630 LTL
HIGH950 LTL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW110 LTL
AVERAGE390 LTL
HIGH590 LTL
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW320 LTL
AVERAGE1,100 LTL
HIGH1,700 LTL
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW280 LTL
AVERAGE950 LTL
HIGH1,400 LTL
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Lithuania

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW79 LTL
AVERAGE470 LTL
HIGH1,000 LTL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW13 LTL
AVERAGE79 LTL
HIGH170 LTL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW23 LTL
AVERAGE140 LTL
HIGH300 LTL
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW66 LTL
AVERAGE390 LTL
HIGH850 LTL
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW20 LTL
AVERAGE120 LTL
HIGH260 LTL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16 LTL
AVERAGE99 LTL
HIGH210 LTL
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW62 LTL
AVERAGE370 LTL
HIGH810 LTL
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW49 LTL
AVERAGE300 LTL
HIGH640 LTL
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Lithuania typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,400 LTL with expenditure ranging from 340 LTL and 2,400 LTL. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Lithuania ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 190 LTL with 43 LTL and 310 LTL being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 94 LTL to 660 LTL on commuting with 390 LTL being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Lithuania is 730 LTL. The cost of groceries can range between 180 LTL to 1,200 LTL. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Lithuania allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 93 LTL to 640 LTL with 380 LTL being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 56 LTL to 390 LTL with 230 LTL being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 410 LTL per month with 100 LTL being the minimum spent amount and 680 LTL being the maximum.

©copound