Cost Of Living in Luxembourg

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Luxembourg

Whether you're living in Luxembourg or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,900 EUR
average per month
990 EUR
Range
8,400 EUR

Couple
7,400 EUR
average per month
1,500 EUR
Range
12,000 EUR

Family
12,000 EUR
average per month
3,500 EUR
Range
18,000 EUR

Student
3,000 EUR
average per month
490 EUR
Range
6,400 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Luxembourg is 3,900 EUR. Expenses can range from 990 EUR at the minimum level to 8,400 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Luxembourg is 7,400 EUR. Expenditure can range from 1,500 EUR to 12,000 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Luxembourg is 12,000 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 3,500 EUR to 18,000 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Luxembourg is 3,000 EUR. Students spend from 490 EUR to 6,400 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Luxembourg

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.99 EUR

0.99 EUR
0.99 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

9.9 EUR

7.1 EUR
16 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

33 EUR

26 EUR
41 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

82 EUR

55 EUR
99 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.82 EUR

0.82 EUR
0.82 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

6.6 EUR

4.1 EUR
9.9 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

4.9 EUR

4.1 EUR
5.5 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.70 EUR

0.62 EUR
0.82 EUR

12
eggs

4.9 EUR

4.1 EUR
6.2 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

11 EUR

9.0 EUR
14 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

13 EUR

11 EUR
16 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

7.1 EUR

6.2 EUR
8.2 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

3.3 EUR

2.7 EUR
4.1 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

3.5 EUR

3.1 EUR
3.8 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

3.4 EUR

3.0 EUR
3.8 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

4.9 EUR

4.1 EUR
9.9 EUR

Average car
full tank

33 EUR

25 EUR
66 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

33 EUR

25 EUR
49 EUR

Average car
price

25,000 EUR

12,000 EUR
33,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

1.2 EUR

0.82 EUR
2.5 EUR

Car
Service

49 EUR

33 EUR
99 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

240 EUR

59 EUR
500 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

300 EUR

74 EUR
590 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

470 EUR

100 EUR
530 EUR

Internet
and cable

49 EUR

25 EUR
66 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

33 EUR

20 EUR
99 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

16 EUR

12 EUR
25 EUR

One month gym
membership

49 EUR

39 EUR
99 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

41 EUR

29 EUR
62 EUR

Woman
dress

38 EUR

27 EUR
120 EUR

Woman
shoes

35 EUR

26 EUR
82 EUR

Men
shoes

27 EUR

22 EUR
55 EUR

Men
suit

31 EUR

25 EUR
160 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

16 EUR

12 EUR
49 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

620 EUR

410 EUR
1,600 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

990 EUR

620 EUR
2,500 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

1,200 EUR

820 EUR
3,300 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

120,000 EUR

82,000 EUR
250,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

160,000 EUR

99,000 EUR
620,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

490,000 EUR

160,000 EUR
990,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

620 EUR

490 EUR
820 EUR

Double
Bed

490 EUR

330 EUR
620 EUR

Single
Bed

380 EUR

290 EUR
490 EUR

Living
Room

700 EUR

550 EUR
2,500 EUR

Dining
Table

330 EUR

250 EUR
620 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

450 EUR

330 EUR
990 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

490 EUR

330 EUR
990 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

450 EUR

290 EUR
620 EUR

Washing
Machine

550 EUR

380 EUR
990 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

450 EUR

350 EUR
620 EUR

Mobile
Phone

490 EUR

410 EUR
700 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

550 EUR

450 EUR
990 EUR

How do people spend their money in Luxembourg?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Luxembourg

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW360 EUR
AVERAGE1,400 EUR
HIGH3,000 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW59 EUR
AVERAGE240 EUR
HIGH500 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW79 EUR
AVERAGE320 EUR
HIGH670 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW160 EUR
AVERAGE630 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW89 EUR
AVERAGE360 EUR
HIGH750 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW49 EUR
AVERAGE200 EUR
HIGH420 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW20 EUR
AVERAGE79 EUR
HIGH170 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW180 EUR
AVERAGE710 EUR
HIGH1,500 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Luxembourg

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW490 EUR
AVERAGE2,400 EUR
HIGH3,900 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW74 EUR
AVERAGE300 EUR
HIGH590 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW180 EUR
AVERAGE890 EUR
HIGH1,400 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW210 EUR
AVERAGE1,000 EUR
HIGH1,700 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW160 EUR
AVERAGE810 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW89 EUR
AVERAGE440 EUR
HIGH710 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW30 EUR
AVERAGE150 EUR
HIGH240 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW250 EUR
AVERAGE1,300 EUR
HIGH2,000 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Luxembourg

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,100 EUR
AVERAGE3,800 EUR
HIGH5,700 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW100 EUR
AVERAGE470 EUR
HIGH530 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW280 EUR
AVERAGE950 EUR
HIGH1,400 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW620 EUR
AVERAGE2,100 EUR
HIGH3,200 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW280 EUR
AVERAGE950 EUR
HIGH1,400 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW170 EUR
AVERAGE590 EUR
HIGH890 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW480 EUR
AVERAGE1,700 EUR
HIGH2,500 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW410 EUR
AVERAGE1,400 EUR
HIGH2,100 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Luxembourg

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW120 EUR
AVERAGE710 EUR
HIGH1,500 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW20 EUR
AVERAGE120 EUR
HIGH260 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW35 EUR
AVERAGE210 EUR
HIGH450 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW99 EUR
AVERAGE590 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW30 EUR
AVERAGE180 EUR
HIGH380 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW25 EUR
AVERAGE150 EUR
HIGH320 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW94 EUR
AVERAGE560 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW74 EUR
AVERAGE440 EUR
HIGH960 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Luxembourg typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,100 EUR with expenditure ranging from 520 EUR and 3,500 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Luxembourg ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 280 EUR with 64 EUR and 470 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 140 EUR to 990 EUR on commuting with 590 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Luxembourg is 1,100 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 270 EUR to 1,900 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Luxembourg allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 140 EUR to 970 EUR with 570 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 84 EUR to 580 EUR with 350 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 610 EUR per month with 160 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 1,000 EUR being the maximum.

©copound