Cost Of Living in Macao

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Macao

Whether you're living in Macao or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
6,000 MOP
average per month
1,500 MOP
Range
13,000 MOP

Couple
11,000 MOP
average per month
2,200 MOP
Range
18,000 MOP

Family
18,000 MOP
average per month
5,200 MOP
Range
27,000 MOP

Student
4,500 MOP
average per month
750 MOP
Range
9,700 MOP
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Macao is 6,000 MOP. Expenses can range from 1,500 MOP at the minimum level to 13,000 MOP at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Macao is 11,000 MOP. Expenditure can range from 2,200 MOP to 18,000 MOP per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Macao is 18,000 MOP per month. Families spend anywhere from 5,200 MOP to 27,000 MOP.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Macao is 4,500 MOP. Students spend from 750 MOP to 9,700 MOP per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Macao

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.5 MOP

1.5 MOP
1.5 MOP

Fast food
combo meal

15 MOP

11 MOP
25 MOP

Restaurant
meal for one

50 MOP

39 MOP
62 MOP

Fine dining
meal for one

120 MOP

83 MOP
150 MOP

Soda
Soft Drink

1.3 MOP

1.3 MOP
1.3 MOP

Cappuccino
or latte

10.0 MOP

6.2 MOP
15 MOP

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

7.5 MOP

6.2 MOP
8.3 MOP

Loaf of
bread

1.1 MOP

0.94 MOP
1.3 MOP

12
eggs

7.5 MOP

6.2 MOP
9.4 MOP

Fresh whole
chicken

17 MOP

14 MOP
21 MOP

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

20 MOP

17 MOP
25 MOP

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

11 MOP

9.4 MOP
12 MOP

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

5.0 MOP

4.2 MOP
6.2 MOP

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

5.4 MOP

4.7 MOP
5.8 MOP

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

5.2 MOP

4.5 MOP
5.8 MOP

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

7.5 MOP

6.2 MOP
15 MOP

Average car
full tank

50 MOP

37 MOP
100 MOP

Average car
1-day rental

50 MOP

37 MOP
75 MOP

Average car
price

37,000 MOP

19,000 MOP
50,000 MOP

Bus ticket
one way

1.9 MOP

1.3 MOP
3.7 MOP

Car
Service

75 MOP

50 MOP
150 MOP

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

360 MOP

90 MOP
760 MOP

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

450 MOP

110 MOP
900 MOP

Electricity
and water bill
Family

720 MOP

160 MOP
810 MOP

Internet
and cable

75 MOP

37 MOP
100 MOP

Mobile phone
charges

50 MOP

30 MOP
150 MOP

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

25 MOP

19 MOP
37 MOP

One month gym
membership

75 MOP

60 MOP
150 MOP

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

62 MOP

44 MOP
94 MOP

Woman
dress

58 MOP

42 MOP
190 MOP

Woman
shoes

53 MOP

39 MOP
120 MOP

Men
shoes

42 MOP

34 MOP
83 MOP

Men
suit

47 MOP

37 MOP
250 MOP

Regular
t-shirt

25 MOP

19 MOP
75 MOP

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

940 MOP

620 MOP
2,500 MOP

1-bedroom
apartment

1,500 MOP

940 MOP
3,700 MOP

2-bedroom
apartment

1,900 MOP

1,200 MOP
5,000 MOP

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

190,000 MOP

120,000 MOP
370,000 MOP

1-bedroom
apartment

250,000 MOP

150,000 MOP
940,000 MOP

2-bedroom
apartment

750,000 MOP

250,000 MOP
1,500,000 MOP

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

940 MOP

750 MOP
1,200 MOP

Double
Bed

750 MOP

500 MOP
940 MOP

Single
Bed

580 MOP

440 MOP
750 MOP

Living
Room

1,100 MOP

830 MOP
3,700 MOP

Dining
Table

500 MOP

370 MOP
940 MOP

Sofa
or Couch

680 MOP

500 MOP
1,500 MOP

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

750 MOP

500 MOP
1,500 MOP

Fridge
or Freezer

680 MOP

440 MOP
940 MOP

Washing
Machine

830 MOP

580 MOP
1,500 MOP

Stove
or Cooker

680 MOP

530 MOP
940 MOP

Mobile
Phone

750 MOP

620 MOP
1,100 MOP

Laptop
or Computer

830 MOP

680 MOP
1,500 MOP

How do people spend their money in Macao?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Macao

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW540 MOP
AVERAGE2,200 MOP
HIGH4,600 MOP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW90 MOP
AVERAGE360 MOP
HIGH760 MOP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW120 MOP
AVERAGE480 MOP
HIGH1,000 MOP
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW240 MOP
AVERAGE960 MOP
HIGH2,000 MOP
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW130 MOP
AVERAGE540 MOP
HIGH1,100 MOP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW75 MOP
AVERAGE300 MOP
HIGH640 MOP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW30 MOP
AVERAGE120 MOP
HIGH250 MOP
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW270 MOP
AVERAGE1,100 MOP
HIGH2,300 MOP
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Macao

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW740 MOP
AVERAGE3,700 MOP
HIGH5,900 MOP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW110 MOP
AVERAGE450 MOP
HIGH900 MOP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW270 MOP
AVERAGE1,300 MOP
HIGH2,200 MOP
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW310 MOP
AVERAGE1,600 MOP
HIGH2,500 MOP
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW250 MOP
AVERAGE1,200 MOP
HIGH2,000 MOP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW130 MOP
AVERAGE670 MOP
HIGH1,100 MOP
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW45 MOP
AVERAGE220 MOP
HIGH360 MOP
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW380 MOP
AVERAGE1,900 MOP
HIGH3,100 MOP
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Macao

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,700 MOP
AVERAGE5,700 MOP
HIGH8,600 MOP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW160 MOP
AVERAGE720 MOP
HIGH810 MOP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW420 MOP
AVERAGE1,400 MOP
HIGH2,200 MOP
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW940 MOP
AVERAGE3,200 MOP
HIGH4,900 MOP
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW420 MOP
AVERAGE1,400 MOP
HIGH2,200 MOP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW260 MOP
AVERAGE900 MOP
HIGH1,300 MOP
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW730 MOP
AVERAGE2,500 MOP
HIGH3,800 MOP
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW630 MOP
AVERAGE2,200 MOP
HIGH3,200 MOP
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Macao

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW180 MOP
AVERAGE1,100 MOP
HIGH2,300 MOP
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW30 MOP
AVERAGE180 MOP
HIGH390 MOP
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW52 MOP
AVERAGE310 MOP
HIGH680 MOP
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW150 MOP
AVERAGE900 MOP
HIGH1,900 MOP
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW45 MOP
AVERAGE270 MOP
HIGH580 MOP
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW37 MOP
AVERAGE220 MOP
HIGH490 MOP
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW140 MOP
AVERAGE850 MOP
HIGH1,800 MOP
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW110 MOP
AVERAGE670 MOP
HIGH1,500 MOP
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Macao typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 3,200 MOP with expenditure ranging from 780 MOP and 5,400 MOP. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Macao ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 430 MOP with 97 MOP and 710 MOP being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 220 MOP to 1,500 MOP on commuting with 890 MOP being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Macao is 1,700 MOP. The cost of groceries can range between 410 MOP to 2,800 MOP. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Macao allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 210 MOP to 1,500 MOP with 870 MOP being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 130 MOP to 890 MOP with 520 MOP being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 930 MOP per month with 240 MOP being the minimum spent amount and 1,600 MOP being the maximum.

©copound