Cost Of Living in Macedonia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Macedonia

Whether you're living in Macedonia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
37,000 MKD
average per month
9,200 MKD
Range
78,000 MKD

Couple
69,000 MKD
average per month
14,000 MKD
Range
110,000 MKD

Family
110,000 MKD
average per month
32,000 MKD
Range
170,000 MKD

Student
28,000 MKD
average per month
4,600 MKD
Range
60,000 MKD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Macedonia is 37,000 MKD. Expenses can range from 9,200 MKD at the minimum level to 78,000 MKD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Macedonia is 69,000 MKD. Expenditure can range from 14,000 MKD to 110,000 MKD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Macedonia is 110,000 MKD per month. Families spend anywhere from 32,000 MKD to 170,000 MKD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Macedonia is 28,000 MKD. Students spend from 4,600 MKD to 60,000 MKD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Macedonia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

9.2 MKD

9.2 MKD
9.2 MKD

Fast food
combo meal

92 MKD

66 MKD
150 MKD

Restaurant
meal for one

310 MKD

240 MKD
380 MKD

Fine dining
meal for one

770 MKD

510 MKD
920 MKD

Soda
Soft Drink

7.7 MKD

7.7 MKD
7.7 MKD

Cappuccino
or latte

62 MKD

38 MKD
92 MKD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

46 MKD

38 MKD
51 MKD

Loaf of
bread

6.6 MKD

5.8 MKD
7.7 MKD

12
eggs

46 MKD

38 MKD
58 MKD

Fresh whole
chicken

110 MKD

84 MKD
130 MKD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

120 MKD

100 MKD
150 MKD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

66 MKD

58 MKD
77 MKD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

31 MKD

26 MKD
38 MKD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

33 MKD

29 MKD
35 MKD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

32 MKD

28 MKD
35 MKD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

46 MKD

38 MKD
92 MKD

Average car
full tank

310 MKD

230 MKD
620 MKD

Average car
1-day rental

310 MKD

230 MKD
460 MKD

Average car
price

230,000 MKD

120,000 MKD
310,000 MKD

Bus ticket
one way

12 MKD

7.7 MKD
23 MKD

Car
Service

460 MKD

310 MKD
920 MKD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

2,200 MKD

550 MKD
4,700 MKD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

2,800 MKD

690 MKD
5,500 MKD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

4,400 MKD

970 MKD
5,000 MKD

Internet
and cable

460 MKD

230 MKD
620 MKD

Mobile phone
charges

310 MKD

180 MKD
920 MKD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

150 MKD

120 MKD
230 MKD

One month gym
membership

460 MKD

370 MKD
920 MKD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

380 MKD

270 MKD
580 MKD

Woman
dress

350 MKD

260 MKD
1,200 MKD

Woman
shoes

330 MKD

240 MKD
770 MKD

Men
shoes

260 MKD

210 MKD
510 MKD

Men
suit

290 MKD

230 MKD
1,500 MKD

Regular
t-shirt

150 MKD

120 MKD
460 MKD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

5,800 MKD

3,800 MKD
15,000 MKD

1-bedroom
apartment

9,200 MKD

5,800 MKD
23,000 MKD

2-bedroom
apartment

12,000 MKD

7,700 MKD
31,000 MKD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

1,200,000 MKD

770,000 MKD
2,300,000 MKD

1-bedroom
apartment

1,500,000 MKD

920,000 MKD
5,800,000 MKD

2-bedroom
apartment

4,600,000 MKD

1,500,000 MKD
9,200,000 MKD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

5,800 MKD

4,600 MKD
7,700 MKD

Double
Bed

4,600 MKD

3,100 MKD
5,800 MKD

Single
Bed

3,500 MKD

2,700 MKD
4,600 MKD

Living
Room

6,600 MKD

5,100 MKD
23,000 MKD

Dining
Table

3,100 MKD

2,300 MKD
5,800 MKD

Sofa
or Couch

4,200 MKD

3,100 MKD
9,200 MKD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

4,600 MKD

3,100 MKD
9,200 MKD

Fridge
or Freezer

4,200 MKD

2,700 MKD
5,800 MKD

Washing
Machine

5,100 MKD

3,500 MKD
9,200 MKD

Stove
or Cooker

4,200 MKD

3,300 MKD
5,800 MKD

Mobile
Phone

4,600 MKD

3,800 MKD
6,600 MKD

Laptop
or Computer

5,100 MKD

4,200 MKD
9,200 MKD

How do people spend their money in Macedonia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Macedonia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW3,300 MKD
AVERAGE13,000 MKD
HIGH28,000 MKD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW550 MKD
AVERAGE2,200 MKD
HIGH4,700 MKD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW740 MKD
AVERAGE3,000 MKD
HIGH6,300 MKD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,500 MKD
AVERAGE5,900 MKD
HIGH13,000 MKD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW830 MKD
AVERAGE3,300 MKD
HIGH7,100 MKD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW460 MKD
AVERAGE1,800 MKD
HIGH3,900 MKD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW180 MKD
AVERAGE740 MKD
HIGH1,600 MKD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,700 MKD
AVERAGE6,600 MKD
HIGH14,000 MKD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Macedonia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW4,600 MKD
AVERAGE23,000 MKD
HIGH37,000 MKD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW690 MKD
AVERAGE2,800 MKD
HIGH5,500 MKD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,700 MKD
AVERAGE8,300 MKD
HIGH13,000 MKD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,900 MKD
AVERAGE9,700 MKD
HIGH15,000 MKD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,500 MKD
AVERAGE7,600 MKD
HIGH12,000 MKD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW830 MKD
AVERAGE4,200 MKD
HIGH6,600 MKD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW280 MKD
AVERAGE1,400 MKD
HIGH2,200 MKD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW2,400 MKD
AVERAGE12,000 MKD
HIGH19,000 MKD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Macedonia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW10,000 MKD
AVERAGE35,000 MKD
HIGH53,000 MKD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW970 MKD
AVERAGE4,400 MKD
HIGH5,000 MKD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW2,600 MKD
AVERAGE8,900 MKD
HIGH13,000 MKD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW5,800 MKD
AVERAGE20,000 MKD
HIGH30,000 MKD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW2,600 MKD
AVERAGE8,900 MKD
HIGH13,000 MKD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,600 MKD
AVERAGE5,500 MKD
HIGH8,300 MKD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW4,500 MKD
AVERAGE15,000 MKD
HIGH23,000 MKD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW3,900 MKD
AVERAGE13,000 MKD
HIGH20,000 MKD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Macedonia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW1,100 MKD
AVERAGE6,600 MKD
HIGH14,000 MKD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW180 MKD
AVERAGE1,100 MKD
HIGH2,400 MKD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW320 MKD
AVERAGE1,900 MKD
HIGH4,200 MKD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW920 MKD
AVERAGE5,500 MKD
HIGH12,000 MKD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW280 MKD
AVERAGE1,700 MKD
HIGH3,600 MKD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW230 MKD
AVERAGE1,400 MKD
HIGH3,000 MKD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW880 MKD
AVERAGE5,300 MKD
HIGH11,000 MKD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW690 MKD
AVERAGE4,200 MKD
HIGH9,000 MKD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Macedonia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 20,000 MKD with expenditure ranging from 4,800 MKD and 33,000 MKD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Macedonia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 2,600 MKD with 600 MKD and 4,400 MKD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 1,300 MKD to 9,300 MKD on commuting with 5,500 MKD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Macedonia is 10,000 MKD. The cost of groceries can range between 2,500 MKD to 17,000 MKD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Macedonia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 1,300 MKD to 9,000 MKD with 5,400 MKD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 780 MKD to 5,500 MKD with 3,200 MKD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 5,700 MKD per month with 1,500 MKD being the minimum spent amount and 9,600 MKD being the maximum.

Skopje  
©copound