Cost Of Living in Madagascar

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Madagascar

Whether you're living in Madagascar or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,100,000 MGA
average per month
260,000 MGA
Range
2,200,000 MGA

Couple
2,000,000 MGA
average per month
400,000 MGA
Range
3,200,000 MGA

Family
3,200,000 MGA
average per month
920,000 MGA
Range
4,700,000 MGA

Student
790,000 MGA
average per month
130,000 MGA
Range
1,700,000 MGA
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Madagascar is 1,100,000 MGA. Expenses can range from 260,000 MGA at the minimum level to 2,200,000 MGA at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Madagascar is 2,000,000 MGA. Expenditure can range from 400,000 MGA to 3,200,000 MGA per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Madagascar is 3,200,000 MGA per month. Families spend anywhere from 920,000 MGA to 4,700,000 MGA.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Madagascar is 790,000 MGA. Students spend from 130,000 MGA to 1,700,000 MGA per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Madagascar

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

260 MGA

260 MGA
260 MGA

Fast food
combo meal

2,600 MGA

1,900 MGA
4,400 MGA

Restaurant
meal for one

8,800 MGA

6,900 MGA
11,000 MGA

Fine dining
meal for one

22,000 MGA

15,000 MGA
26,000 MGA

Soda
Soft Drink

220 MGA

220 MGA
220 MGA

Cappuccino
or latte

1,800 MGA

1,100 MGA
2,600 MGA

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

1,300 MGA

1,100 MGA
1,500 MGA

Loaf of
bread

190 MGA

160 MGA
220 MGA

12
eggs

1,300 MGA

1,100 MGA
1,600 MGA

Fresh whole
chicken

3,100 MGA

2,400 MGA
3,800 MGA

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

3,500 MGA

2,900 MGA
4,400 MGA

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

1,900 MGA

1,600 MGA
2,200 MGA

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

880 MGA

730 MGA
1,100 MGA

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

940 MGA

820 MGA
1,000 MGA

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

910 MGA

800 MGA
1,000 MGA

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

1,300 MGA

1,100 MGA
2,600 MGA

Average car
full tank

8,800 MGA

6,600 MGA
18,000 MGA

Average car
1-day rental

8,800 MGA

6,600 MGA
13,000 MGA

Average car
price

6,600,000 MGA

3,300,000 MGA
8,800,000 MGA

Bus ticket
one way

330 MGA

220 MGA
660 MGA

Car
Service

13,000 MGA

8,800 MGA
26,000 MGA

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

63,000 MGA

16,000 MGA
130,000 MGA

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

79,000 MGA

20,000 MGA
160,000 MGA

Electricity
and water bill
Family

130,000 MGA

28,000 MGA
140,000 MGA

Internet
and cable

13,000 MGA

6,600 MGA
18,000 MGA

Mobile phone
charges

8,800 MGA

5,300 MGA
26,000 MGA

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

4,400 MGA

3,300 MGA
6,600 MGA

One month gym
membership

13,000 MGA

11,000 MGA
26,000 MGA

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

11,000 MGA

7,800 MGA
16,000 MGA

Woman
dress

10,000 MGA

7,300 MGA
33,000 MGA

Woman
shoes

9,400 MGA

6,900 MGA
22,000 MGA

Men
shoes

7,300 MGA

6,000 MGA
15,000 MGA

Men
suit

8,200 MGA

6,600 MGA
44,000 MGA

Regular
t-shirt

4,400 MGA

3,300 MGA
13,000 MGA

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

160,000 MGA

110,000 MGA
440,000 MGA

1-bedroom
apartment

260,000 MGA

160,000 MGA
660,000 MGA

2-bedroom
apartment

330,000 MGA

220,000 MGA
880,000 MGA

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

33,000,000 MGA

22,000,000 MGA
66,000,000 MGA

1-bedroom
apartment

44,000,000 MGA

26,000,000 MGA
160,000,000 MGA

2-bedroom
apartment

130,000,000 MGA

44,000,000 MGA
260,000,000 MGA

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

160,000 MGA

130,000 MGA
220,000 MGA

Double
Bed

130,000 MGA

88,000 MGA
160,000 MGA

Single
Bed

100,000 MGA

78,000 MGA
130,000 MGA

Living
Room

190,000 MGA

150,000 MGA
660,000 MGA

Dining
Table

88,000 MGA

66,000 MGA
160,000 MGA

Sofa
or Couch

120,000 MGA

88,000 MGA
260,000 MGA

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

130,000 MGA

88,000 MGA
260,000 MGA

Fridge
or Freezer

120,000 MGA

78,000 MGA
160,000 MGA

Washing
Machine

150,000 MGA

100,000 MGA
260,000 MGA

Stove
or Cooker

120,000 MGA

94,000 MGA
160,000 MGA

Mobile
Phone

130,000 MGA

110,000 MGA
190,000 MGA

Laptop
or Computer

150,000 MGA

120,000 MGA
260,000 MGA

How do people spend their money in Madagascar?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Madagascar

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW95,000 MGA
AVERAGE380,000 MGA
HIGH810,000 MGA
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW16,000 MGA
AVERAGE63,000 MGA
HIGH130,000 MGA
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW21,000 MGA
AVERAGE84,000 MGA
HIGH180,000 MGA
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW42,000 MGA
AVERAGE170,000 MGA
HIGH360,000 MGA
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW24,000 MGA
AVERAGE95,000 MGA
HIGH200,000 MGA
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW13,000 MGA
AVERAGE53,000 MGA
HIGH110,000 MGA
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW5,300 MGA
AVERAGE21,000 MGA
HIGH45,000 MGA
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW47,000 MGA
AVERAGE190,000 MGA
HIGH400,000 MGA
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Madagascar

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW130,000 MGA
AVERAGE650,000 MGA
HIGH1,000,000 MGA
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW20,000 MGA
AVERAGE79,000 MGA
HIGH160,000 MGA
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW47,000 MGA
AVERAGE240,000 MGA
HIGH380,000 MGA
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW55,000 MGA
AVERAGE280,000 MGA
HIGH440,000 MGA
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW44,000 MGA
AVERAGE220,000 MGA
HIGH350,000 MGA
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW24,000 MGA
AVERAGE120,000 MGA
HIGH190,000 MGA
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW7,900 MGA
AVERAGE40,000 MGA
HIGH63,000 MGA
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW67,000 MGA
AVERAGE340,000 MGA
HIGH540,000 MGA
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Madagascar

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW300,000 MGA
AVERAGE1,000,000 MGA
HIGH1,500,000 MGA
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW28,000 MGA
AVERAGE130,000 MGA
HIGH140,000 MGA
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW74,000 MGA
AVERAGE250,000 MGA
HIGH380,000 MGA
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW170,000 MGA
AVERAGE570,000 MGA
HIGH850,000 MGA
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW74,000 MGA
AVERAGE250,000 MGA
HIGH380,000 MGA
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW46,000 MGA
AVERAGE160,000 MGA
HIGH240,000 MGA
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW130,000 MGA
AVERAGE440,000 MGA
HIGH660,000 MGA
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW110,000 MGA
AVERAGE380,000 MGA
HIGH570,000 MGA
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Madagascar

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW32,000 MGA
AVERAGE190,000 MGA
HIGH410,000 MGA
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW5,300 MGA
AVERAGE32,000 MGA
HIGH69,000 MGA
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW9,200 MGA
AVERAGE55,000 MGA
HIGH120,000 MGA
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW26,000 MGA
AVERAGE160,000 MGA
HIGH340,000 MGA
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW7,900 MGA
AVERAGE47,000 MGA
HIGH100,000 MGA
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW6,600 MGA
AVERAGE40,000 MGA
HIGH86,000 MGA
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW25,000 MGA
AVERAGE150,000 MGA
HIGH330,000 MGA
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW20,000 MGA
AVERAGE120,000 MGA
HIGH260,000 MGA
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Madagascar typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 560,000 MGA with expenditure ranging from 140,000 MGA and 950,000 MGA. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Madagascar ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 75,000 MGA with 17,000 MGA and 130,000 MGA being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 38,000 MGA to 260,000 MGA on commuting with 160,000 MGA being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Madagascar is 290,000 MGA. The cost of groceries can range between 73,000 MGA to 500,000 MGA. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Madagascar allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 37,000 MGA to 260,000 MGA with 150,000 MGA being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 22,000 MGA to 160,000 MGA with 92,000 MGA being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 160,000 MGA per month with 42,000 MGA being the minimum spent amount and 270,000 MGA being the maximum.

©copound