Cost Of Living in Malaysia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Malaysia

Whether you're living in Malaysia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
5,300 MYR
average per month
1,300 MYR
Range
11,000 MYR

Couple
9,900 MYR
average per month
2,000 MYR
Range
16,000 MYR

Family
16,000 MYR
average per month
4,600 MYR
Range
24,000 MYR

Student
4,000 MYR
average per month
660 MYR
Range
8,600 MYR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Malaysia is 5,300 MYR. Expenses can range from 1,300 MYR at the minimum level to 11,000 MYR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Malaysia is 9,900 MYR. Expenditure can range from 2,000 MYR to 16,000 MYR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Malaysia is 16,000 MYR per month. Families spend anywhere from 4,600 MYR to 24,000 MYR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Malaysia is 4,000 MYR. Students spend from 660 MYR to 8,600 MYR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Malaysia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

1.3 MYR

1.3 MYR
1.3 MYR

Fast food
combo meal

13 MYR

9.4 MYR
22 MYR

Restaurant
meal for one

44 MYR

35 MYR
55 MYR

Fine dining
meal for one

110 MYR

73 MYR
130 MYR

Soda
Soft Drink

1.1 MYR

1.1 MYR
1.1 MYR

Cappuccino
or latte

8.8 MYR

5.5 MYR
13 MYR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

6.6 MYR

5.5 MYR
7.3 MYR

Loaf of
bread

0.94 MYR

0.83 MYR
1.1 MYR

12
eggs

6.6 MYR

5.5 MYR
8.3 MYR

Fresh whole
chicken

15 MYR

12 MYR
19 MYR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

17 MYR

15 MYR
22 MYR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

9.4 MYR

8.3 MYR
11 MYR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

4.4 MYR

3.7 MYR
5.5 MYR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

4.7 MYR

4.1 MYR
5.1 MYR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

4.6 MYR

4.0 MYR
5.1 MYR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

6.6 MYR

5.5 MYR
13 MYR

Average car
full tank

44 MYR

33 MYR
88 MYR

Average car
1-day rental

44 MYR

33 MYR
66 MYR

Average car
price

33,000 MYR

17,000 MYR
44,000 MYR

Bus ticket
one way

1.7 MYR

1.1 MYR
3.3 MYR

Car
Service

66 MYR

44 MYR
130 MYR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

320 MYR

79 MYR
670 MYR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

400 MYR

99 MYR
790 MYR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

630 MYR

140 MYR
710 MYR

Internet
and cable

66 MYR

33 MYR
88 MYR

Mobile phone
charges

44 MYR

26 MYR
130 MYR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

22 MYR

17 MYR
33 MYR

One month gym
membership

66 MYR

53 MYR
130 MYR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

55 MYR

39 MYR
83 MYR

Woman
dress

51 MYR

37 MYR
170 MYR

Woman
shoes

47 MYR

35 MYR
110 MYR

Men
shoes

37 MYR

30 MYR
73 MYR

Men
suit

41 MYR

33 MYR
220 MYR

Regular
t-shirt

22 MYR

17 MYR
66 MYR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

830 MYR

550 MYR
2,200 MYR

1-bedroom
apartment

1,300 MYR

830 MYR
3,300 MYR

2-bedroom
apartment

1,700 MYR

1,100 MYR
4,400 MYR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

170,000 MYR

110,000 MYR
330,000 MYR

1-bedroom
apartment

220,000 MYR

130,000 MYR
830,000 MYR

2-bedroom
apartment

660,000 MYR

220,000 MYR
1,300,000 MYR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

830 MYR

660 MYR
1,100 MYR

Double
Bed

660 MYR

440 MYR
830 MYR

Single
Bed

510 MYR

390 MYR
660 MYR

Living
Room

940 MYR

730 MYR
3,300 MYR

Dining
Table

440 MYR

330 MYR
830 MYR

Sofa
or Couch

600 MYR

440 MYR
1,300 MYR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

660 MYR

440 MYR
1,300 MYR

Fridge
or Freezer

600 MYR

390 MYR
830 MYR

Washing
Machine

730 MYR

510 MYR
1,300 MYR

Stove
or Cooker

600 MYR

470 MYR
830 MYR

Mobile
Phone

660 MYR

550 MYR
940 MYR

Laptop
or Computer

730 MYR

600 MYR
1,300 MYR

How do people spend their money in Malaysia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Malaysia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW480 MYR
AVERAGE1,900 MYR
HIGH4,000 MYR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW79 MYR
AVERAGE320 MYR
HIGH670 MYR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW110 MYR
AVERAGE420 MYR
HIGH900 MYR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW210 MYR
AVERAGE850 MYR
HIGH1,800 MYR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW120 MYR
AVERAGE480 MYR
HIGH1,000 MYR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW66 MYR
AVERAGE260 MYR
HIGH560 MYR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW26 MYR
AVERAGE110 MYR
HIGH220 MYR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW240 MYR
AVERAGE950 MYR
HIGH2,000 MYR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Malaysia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW650 MYR
AVERAGE3,300 MYR
HIGH5,200 MYR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW99 MYR
AVERAGE400 MYR
HIGH790 MYR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW240 MYR
AVERAGE1,200 MYR
HIGH1,900 MYR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW280 MYR
AVERAGE1,400 MYR
HIGH2,200 MYR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW220 MYR
AVERAGE1,100 MYR
HIGH1,700 MYR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW120 MYR
AVERAGE590 MYR
HIGH950 MYR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW40 MYR
AVERAGE200 MYR
HIGH320 MYR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW340 MYR
AVERAGE1,700 MYR
HIGH2,700 MYR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Malaysia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,500 MYR
AVERAGE5,100 MYR
HIGH7,600 MYR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW140 MYR
AVERAGE630 MYR
HIGH710 MYR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW370 MYR
AVERAGE1,300 MYR
HIGH1,900 MYR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW830 MYR
AVERAGE2,900 MYR
HIGH4,300 MYR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW370 MYR
AVERAGE1,300 MYR
HIGH1,900 MYR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW230 MYR
AVERAGE790 MYR
HIGH1,200 MYR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW650 MYR
AVERAGE2,200 MYR
HIGH3,300 MYR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW560 MYR
AVERAGE1,900 MYR
HIGH2,900 MYR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Malaysia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW160 MYR
AVERAGE950 MYR
HIGH2,100 MYR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW26 MYR
AVERAGE160 MYR
HIGH340 MYR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW46 MYR
AVERAGE280 MYR
HIGH600 MYR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW130 MYR
AVERAGE790 MYR
HIGH1,700 MYR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW40 MYR
AVERAGE240 MYR
HIGH520 MYR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW33 MYR
AVERAGE200 MYR
HIGH430 MYR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW130 MYR
AVERAGE750 MYR
HIGH1,600 MYR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW99 MYR
AVERAGE590 MYR
HIGH1,300 MYR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Malaysia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,800 MYR with expenditure ranging from 690 MYR and 4,700 MYR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Malaysia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 380 MYR with 86 MYR and 630 MYR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 190 MYR to 1,300 MYR on commuting with 790 MYR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Malaysia is 1,500 MYR. The cost of groceries can range between 360 MYR to 2,500 MYR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Malaysia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 190 MYR to 1,300 MYR with 770 MYR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 110 MYR to 780 MYR with 460 MYR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 820 MYR per month with 210 MYR being the minimum spent amount and 1,400 MYR being the maximum.

©copound