Cost Of Living in Maldives

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Maldives

Whether you're living in Maldives or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
15,000 MVR
average per month
3,800 MVR
Range
33,000 MVR

Couple
29,000 MVR
average per month
5,800 MVR
Range
46,000 MVR

Family
46,000 MVR
average per month
13,000 MVR
Range
69,000 MVR

Student
12,000 MVR
average per month
1,900 MVR
Range
25,000 MVR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Maldives is 15,000 MVR. Expenses can range from 3,800 MVR at the minimum level to 33,000 MVR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Maldives is 29,000 MVR. Expenditure can range from 5,800 MVR to 46,000 MVR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Maldives is 46,000 MVR per month. Families spend anywhere from 13,000 MVR to 69,000 MVR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Maldives is 12,000 MVR. Students spend from 1,900 MVR to 25,000 MVR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Maldives

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

3.8 MVR

3.8 MVR
3.8 MVR

Fast food
combo meal

38 MVR

27 MVR
64 MVR

Restaurant
meal for one

130 MVR

100 MVR
160 MVR

Fine dining
meal for one

320 MVR

210 MVR
380 MVR

Soda
Soft Drink

3.2 MVR

3.2 MVR
3.2 MVR

Cappuccino
or latte

26 MVR

16 MVR
38 MVR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

19 MVR

16 MVR
21 MVR

Loaf of
bread

2.7 MVR

2.4 MVR
3.2 MVR

12
eggs

19 MVR

16 MVR
24 MVR

Fresh whole
chicken

45 MVR

35 MVR
55 MVR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

51 MVR

43 MVR
64 MVR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

27 MVR

24 MVR
32 MVR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

13 MVR

11 MVR
16 MVR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

14 MVR

12 MVR
15 MVR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

13 MVR

12 MVR
15 MVR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

19 MVR

16 MVR
38 MVR

Average car
full tank

130 MVR

96 MVR
260 MVR

Average car
1-day rental

130 MVR

96 MVR
190 MVR

Average car
price

96,000 MVR

48,000 MVR
130,000 MVR

Bus ticket
one way

4.8 MVR

3.2 MVR
9.6 MVR

Car
Service

190 MVR

130 MVR
380 MVR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

920 MVR

230 MVR
2,000 MVR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,200 MVR

290 MVR
2,300 MVR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,800 MVR

400 MVR
2,100 MVR

Internet
and cable

190 MVR

96 MVR
260 MVR

Mobile phone
charges

130 MVR

77 MVR
380 MVR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

64 MVR

48 MVR
96 MVR

One month gym
membership

190 MVR

150 MVR
380 MVR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

160 MVR

110 MVR
240 MVR

Woman
dress

150 MVR

110 MVR
480 MVR

Woman
shoes

140 MVR

100 MVR
320 MVR

Men
shoes

110 MVR

87 MVR
210 MVR

Men
suit

120 MVR

96 MVR
640 MVR

Regular
t-shirt

64 MVR

48 MVR
190 MVR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

2,400 MVR

1,600 MVR
6,400 MVR

1-bedroom
apartment

3,800 MVR

2,400 MVR
9,600 MVR

2-bedroom
apartment

4,800 MVR

3,200 MVR
13,000 MVR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

480,000 MVR

320,000 MVR
960,000 MVR

1-bedroom
apartment

640,000 MVR

380,000 MVR
2,400,000 MVR

2-bedroom
apartment

1,900,000 MVR

640,000 MVR
3,800,000 MVR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

2,400 MVR

1,900 MVR
3,200 MVR

Double
Bed

1,900 MVR

1,300 MVR
2,400 MVR

Single
Bed

1,500 MVR

1,100 MVR
1,900 MVR

Living
Room

2,700 MVR

2,100 MVR
9,600 MVR

Dining
Table

1,300 MVR

960 MVR
2,400 MVR

Sofa
or Couch

1,700 MVR

1,300 MVR
3,800 MVR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,900 MVR

1,300 MVR
3,800 MVR

Fridge
or Freezer

1,700 MVR

1,100 MVR
2,400 MVR

Washing
Machine

2,100 MVR

1,500 MVR
3,800 MVR

Stove
or Cooker

1,700 MVR

1,400 MVR
2,400 MVR

Mobile
Phone

1,900 MVR

1,600 MVR
2,700 MVR

Laptop
or Computer

2,100 MVR

1,700 MVR
3,800 MVR

How do people spend their money in Maldives?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Maldives

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,400 MVR
AVERAGE5,500 MVR
HIGH12,000 MVR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW230 MVR
AVERAGE920 MVR
HIGH2,000 MVR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW310 MVR
AVERAGE1,200 MVR
HIGH2,600 MVR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW610 MVR
AVERAGE2,500 MVR
HIGH5,200 MVR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW350 MVR
AVERAGE1,400 MVR
HIGH2,900 MVR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW190 MVR
AVERAGE770 MVR
HIGH1,600 MVR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW77 MVR
AVERAGE310 MVR
HIGH650 MVR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW690 MVR
AVERAGE2,800 MVR
HIGH5,900 MVR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Maldives

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,900 MVR
AVERAGE9,500 MVR
HIGH15,000 MVR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW290 MVR
AVERAGE1,200 MVR
HIGH2,300 MVR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW690 MVR
AVERAGE3,500 MVR
HIGH5,500 MVR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW810 MVR
AVERAGE4,000 MVR
HIGH6,400 MVR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW630 MVR
AVERAGE3,200 MVR
HIGH5,100 MVR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW350 MVR
AVERAGE1,700 MVR
HIGH2,800 MVR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW120 MVR
AVERAGE580 MVR
HIGH920 MVR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW980 MVR
AVERAGE4,900 MVR
HIGH7,800 MVR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Maldives

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW4,300 MVR
AVERAGE15,000 MVR
HIGH22,000 MVR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW400 MVR
AVERAGE1,800 MVR
HIGH2,100 MVR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,100 MVR
AVERAGE3,700 MVR
HIGH5,500 MVR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW2,400 MVR
AVERAGE8,300 MVR
HIGH12,000 MVR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,100 MVR
AVERAGE3,700 MVR
HIGH5,500 MVR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW670 MVR
AVERAGE2,300 MVR
HIGH3,500 MVR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,900 MVR
AVERAGE6,400 MVR
HIGH9,700 MVR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,600 MVR
AVERAGE5,500 MVR
HIGH8,300 MVR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Maldives

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW460 MVR
AVERAGE2,800 MVR
HIGH6,000 MVR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW77 MVR
AVERAGE460 MVR
HIGH1,000 MVR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW130 MVR
AVERAGE810 MVR
HIGH1,700 MVR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW380 MVR
AVERAGE2,300 MVR
HIGH5,000 MVR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW120 MVR
AVERAGE690 MVR
HIGH1,500 MVR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW96 MVR
AVERAGE580 MVR
HIGH1,200 MVR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW360 MVR
AVERAGE2,200 MVR
HIGH4,700 MVR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW290 MVR
AVERAGE1,700 MVR
HIGH3,700 MVR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Maldives typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 8,100 MVR with expenditure ranging from 2,000 MVR and 14,000 MVR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Maldives ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,100 MVR with 250 MVR and 1,800 MVR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 550 MVR to 3,900 MVR on commuting with 2,300 MVR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Maldives is 4,300 MVR. The cost of groceries can range between 1,100 MVR to 7,300 MVR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Maldives allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 540 MVR to 3,800 MVR with 2,200 MVR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 330 MVR to 2,300 MVR with 1,300 MVR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 2,400 MVR per month with 610 MVR being the minimum spent amount and 4,000 MVR being the maximum.

©copound