Cost Of Living in Mali

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Mali

Whether you're living in Mali or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
260,000 XOF
average per month
66,000 XOF
Range
560,000 XOF

Couple
500,000 XOF
average per month
99,000 XOF
Range
790,000 XOF

Family
790,000 XOF
average per month
230,000 XOF
Range
1,200,000 XOF

Student
200,000 XOF
average per month
33,000 XOF
Range
430,000 XOF
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Mali is 260,000 XOF. Expenses can range from 66,000 XOF at the minimum level to 560,000 XOF at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Mali is 500,000 XOF. Expenditure can range from 99,000 XOF to 790,000 XOF per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Mali is 790,000 XOF per month. Families spend anywhere from 230,000 XOF to 1,200,000 XOF.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Mali is 200,000 XOF. Students spend from 33,000 XOF to 430,000 XOF per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Mali

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

66 XOF

66 XOF
66 XOF

Fast food
combo meal

660 XOF

470 XOF
1,100 XOF

Restaurant
meal for one

2,200 XOF

1,700 XOF
2,800 XOF

Fine dining
meal for one

5,500 XOF

3,700 XOF
6,600 XOF

Soda
Soft Drink

55 XOF

55 XOF
55 XOF

Cappuccino
or latte

440 XOF

280 XOF
660 XOF

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

330 XOF

280 XOF
370 XOF

Loaf of
bread

47 XOF

41 XOF
55 XOF

12
eggs

330 XOF

280 XOF
410 XOF

Fresh whole
chicken

770 XOF

600 XOF
950 XOF

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

870 XOF

740 XOF
1,100 XOF

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

470 XOF

410 XOF
550 XOF

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

220 XOF

180 XOF
280 XOF

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

240 XOF

210 XOF
250 XOF

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

230 XOF

200 XOF
250 XOF

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

330 XOF

280 XOF
660 XOF

Average car
full tank

2,200 XOF

1,700 XOF
4,400 XOF

Average car
1-day rental

2,200 XOF

1,700 XOF
3,300 XOF

Average car
price

1,700,000 XOF

830,000 XOF
2,200,000 XOF

Bus ticket
one way

83 XOF

55 XOF
170 XOF

Car
Service

3,300 XOF

2,200 XOF
6,600 XOF

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

16,000 XOF

4,000 XOF
34,000 XOF

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

20,000 XOF

5,000 XOF
40,000 XOF

Electricity
and water bill
Family

32,000 XOF

7,000 XOF
36,000 XOF

Internet
and cable

3,300 XOF

1,700 XOF
4,400 XOF

Mobile phone
charges

2,200 XOF

1,300 XOF
6,600 XOF

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

1,100 XOF

830 XOF
1,700 XOF

One month gym
membership

3,300 XOF

2,600 XOF
6,600 XOF

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

2,800 XOF

1,900 XOF
4,100 XOF

Woman
dress

2,500 XOF

1,800 XOF
8,300 XOF

Woman
shoes

2,400 XOF

1,700 XOF
5,500 XOF

Men
shoes

1,800 XOF

1,500 XOF
3,700 XOF

Men
suit

2,100 XOF

1,700 XOF
11,000 XOF

Regular
t-shirt

1,100 XOF

830 XOF
3,300 XOF

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

41,000 XOF

28,000 XOF
110,000 XOF

1-bedroom
apartment

66,000 XOF

41,000 XOF
170,000 XOF

2-bedroom
apartment

83,000 XOF

55,000 XOF
220,000 XOF

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

8,300,000 XOF

5,500,000 XOF
17,000,000 XOF

1-bedroom
apartment

11,000,000 XOF

6,600,000 XOF
41,000,000 XOF

2-bedroom
apartment

33,000,000 XOF

11,000,000 XOF
66,000,000 XOF

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

41,000 XOF

33,000 XOF
55,000 XOF

Double
Bed

33,000 XOF

22,000 XOF
41,000 XOF

Single
Bed

25,000 XOF

19,000 XOF
33,000 XOF

Living
Room

47,000 XOF

37,000 XOF
170,000 XOF

Dining
Table

22,000 XOF

17,000 XOF
41,000 XOF

Sofa
or Couch

30,000 XOF

22,000 XOF
66,000 XOF

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

33,000 XOF

22,000 XOF
66,000 XOF

Fridge
or Freezer

30,000 XOF

19,000 XOF
41,000 XOF

Washing
Machine

37,000 XOF

25,000 XOF
66,000 XOF

Stove
or Cooker

30,000 XOF

24,000 XOF
41,000 XOF

Mobile
Phone

33,000 XOF

28,000 XOF
47,000 XOF

Laptop
or Computer

37,000 XOF

30,000 XOF
66,000 XOF

How do people spend their money in Mali?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Mali

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW24,000 XOF
AVERAGE95,000 XOF
HIGH200,000 XOF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW4,000 XOF
AVERAGE16,000 XOF
HIGH34,000 XOF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW5,300 XOF
AVERAGE21,000 XOF
HIGH45,000 XOF
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW11,000 XOF
AVERAGE42,000 XOF
HIGH90,000 XOF
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW6,000 XOF
AVERAGE24,000 XOF
HIGH51,000 XOF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW3,300 XOF
AVERAGE13,000 XOF
HIGH28,000 XOF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW1,300 XOF
AVERAGE5,300 XOF
HIGH11,000 XOF
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW12,000 XOF
AVERAGE48,000 XOF
HIGH100,000 XOF
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Mali

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW33,000 XOF
AVERAGE160,000 XOF
HIGH260,000 XOF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW5,000 XOF
AVERAGE20,000 XOF
HIGH40,000 XOF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW12,000 XOF
AVERAGE60,000 XOF
HIGH95,000 XOF
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW14,000 XOF
AVERAGE70,000 XOF
HIGH110,000 XOF
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW11,000 XOF
AVERAGE55,000 XOF
HIGH87,000 XOF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW6,000 XOF
AVERAGE30,000 XOF
HIGH48,000 XOF
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW2,000 XOF
AVERAGE9,900 XOF
HIGH16,000 XOF
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW17,000 XOF
AVERAGE84,000 XOF
HIGH140,000 XOF
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Mali

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW74,000 XOF
AVERAGE250,000 XOF
HIGH380,000 XOF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW7,000 XOF
AVERAGE32,000 XOF
HIGH36,000 XOF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW19,000 XOF
AVERAGE64,000 XOF
HIGH95,000 XOF
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW42,000 XOF
AVERAGE140,000 XOF
HIGH210,000 XOF
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW19,000 XOF
AVERAGE64,000 XOF
HIGH95,000 XOF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW12,000 XOF
AVERAGE40,000 XOF
HIGH60,000 XOF
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW32,000 XOF
AVERAGE110,000 XOF
HIGH170,000 XOF
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW28,000 XOF
AVERAGE95,000 XOF
HIGH140,000 XOF
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Mali

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW7,900 XOF
AVERAGE48,000 XOF
HIGH100,000 XOF
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW1,300 XOF
AVERAGE7,900 XOF
HIGH17,000 XOF
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW2,300 XOF
AVERAGE14,000 XOF
HIGH30,000 XOF
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW6,600 XOF
AVERAGE40,000 XOF
HIGH86,000 XOF
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW2,000 XOF
AVERAGE12,000 XOF
HIGH26,000 XOF
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,700 XOF
AVERAGE9,900 XOF
HIGH22,000 XOF
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW6,300 XOF
AVERAGE38,000 XOF
HIGH82,000 XOF
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW5,000 XOF
AVERAGE30,000 XOF
HIGH65,000 XOF
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Mali typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 140,000 XOF with expenditure ranging from 35,000 XOF and 240,000 XOF. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Mali ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 19,000 XOF with 4,300 XOF and 32,000 XOF being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 9,500 XOF to 66,000 XOF on commuting with 40,000 XOF being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Mali is 74,000 XOF. The cost of groceries can range between 18,000 XOF to 130,000 XOF. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Mali allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 9,400 XOF to 65,000 XOF with 39,000 XOF being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 5,600 XOF to 39,000 XOF with 23,000 XOF being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 41,000 XOF per month with 11,000 XOF being the minimum spent amount and 69,000 XOF being the maximum.

Bamako  
©copound