Cost Of Living in Malta

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Malta

Whether you're living in Malta or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
3,700 EUR
average per month
930 EUR
Range
7,900 EUR

Couple
7,000 EUR
average per month
1,400 EUR
Range
11,000 EUR

Family
11,000 EUR
average per month
3,200 EUR
Range
17,000 EUR

Student
2,800 EUR
average per month
460 EUR
Range
6,000 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Malta is 3,700 EUR. Expenses can range from 930 EUR at the minimum level to 7,900 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Malta is 7,000 EUR. Expenditure can range from 1,400 EUR to 11,000 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Malta is 11,000 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 3,200 EUR to 17,000 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Malta is 2,800 EUR. Students spend from 460 EUR to 6,000 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Malta

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.93 EUR

0.93 EUR
0.93 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

9.3 EUR

6.6 EUR
15 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

31 EUR

24 EUR
39 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

77 EUR

52 EUR
93 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.77 EUR

0.77 EUR
0.77 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

6.2 EUR

3.9 EUR
9.3 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

4.6 EUR

3.9 EUR
5.2 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.66 EUR

0.58 EUR
0.77 EUR

12
eggs

4.6 EUR

3.9 EUR
5.8 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

11 EUR

8.4 EUR
13 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

12 EUR

10 EUR
15 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

6.6 EUR

5.8 EUR
7.7 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

3.1 EUR

2.6 EUR
3.9 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

3.3 EUR

2.9 EUR
3.6 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

3.2 EUR

2.8 EUR
3.6 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

4.6 EUR

3.9 EUR
9.3 EUR

Average car
full tank

31 EUR

23 EUR
62 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

31 EUR

23 EUR
46 EUR

Average car
price

23,000 EUR

12,000 EUR
31,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

1.2 EUR

0.77 EUR
2.3 EUR

Car
Service

46 EUR

31 EUR
93 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

220 EUR

56 EUR
470 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

280 EUR

70 EUR
560 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

450 EUR

97 EUR
500 EUR

Internet
and cable

46 EUR

23 EUR
62 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

31 EUR

19 EUR
93 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

15 EUR

12 EUR
23 EUR

One month gym
membership

46 EUR

37 EUR
93 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

39 EUR

27 EUR
58 EUR

Woman
dress

36 EUR

26 EUR
120 EUR

Woman
shoes

33 EUR

24 EUR
77 EUR

Men
shoes

26 EUR

21 EUR
52 EUR

Men
suit

29 EUR

23 EUR
150 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

15 EUR

12 EUR
46 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

580 EUR

390 EUR
1,500 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

930 EUR

580 EUR
2,300 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

1,200 EUR

770 EUR
3,100 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

120,000 EUR

77,000 EUR
230,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

150,000 EUR

93,000 EUR
580,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

460,000 EUR

150,000 EUR
930,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

580 EUR

460 EUR
770 EUR

Double
Bed

460 EUR

310 EUR
580 EUR

Single
Bed

360 EUR

270 EUR
460 EUR

Living
Room

660 EUR

520 EUR
2,300 EUR

Dining
Table

310 EUR

230 EUR
580 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

420 EUR

310 EUR
930 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

460 EUR

310 EUR
930 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

420 EUR

270 EUR
580 EUR

Washing
Machine

520 EUR

360 EUR
930 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

420 EUR

330 EUR
580 EUR

Mobile
Phone

460 EUR

390 EUR
660 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

520 EUR

420 EUR
930 EUR

How do people spend their money in Malta?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Malta

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW330 EUR
AVERAGE1,300 EUR
HIGH2,800 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW56 EUR
AVERAGE220 EUR
HIGH470 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW74 EUR
AVERAGE300 EUR
HIGH630 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW150 EUR
AVERAGE590 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW84 EUR
AVERAGE330 EUR
HIGH710 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW46 EUR
AVERAGE190 EUR
HIGH390 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW19 EUR
AVERAGE74 EUR
HIGH160 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW170 EUR
AVERAGE670 EUR
HIGH1,400 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Malta

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW460 EUR
AVERAGE2,300 EUR
HIGH3,700 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW70 EUR
AVERAGE280 EUR
HIGH560 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW170 EUR
AVERAGE840 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW190 EUR
AVERAGE970 EUR
HIGH1,600 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW150 EUR
AVERAGE770 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW84 EUR
AVERAGE420 EUR
HIGH670 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW28 EUR
AVERAGE140 EUR
HIGH220 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW240 EUR
AVERAGE1,200 EUR
HIGH1,900 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Malta

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW1,000 EUR
AVERAGE3,600 EUR
HIGH5,300 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW97 EUR
AVERAGE450 EUR
HIGH500 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW260 EUR
AVERAGE890 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW580 EUR
AVERAGE2,000 EUR
HIGH3,000 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW260 EUR
AVERAGE890 EUR
HIGH1,300 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW160 EUR
AVERAGE560 EUR
HIGH840 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW450 EUR
AVERAGE1,600 EUR
HIGH2,300 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW390 EUR
AVERAGE1,300 EUR
HIGH2,000 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Malta

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE670 EUR
HIGH1,400 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW19 EUR
AVERAGE110 EUR
HIGH240 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW32 EUR
AVERAGE190 EUR
HIGH420 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW93 EUR
AVERAGE560 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW28 EUR
AVERAGE170 EUR
HIGH360 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW23 EUR
AVERAGE140 EUR
HIGH300 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW88 EUR
AVERAGE530 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW70 EUR
AVERAGE420 EUR
HIGH910 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Malta typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 2,000 EUR with expenditure ranging from 490 EUR and 3,300 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Malta ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 260 EUR with 60 EUR and 440 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 130 EUR to 930 EUR on commuting with 550 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Malta is 1,000 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 260 EUR to 1,800 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Malta allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 130 EUR to 910 EUR with 540 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 79 EUR to 550 EUR with 320 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 580 EUR per month with 150 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 970 EUR being the maximum.

©copound