Cost Of Living in Marshall Islands

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Marshall Islands

Whether you're living in Marshall Islands or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,800 USD
average per month
450 USD
Range
3,800 USD

Couple
3,400 USD
average per month
680 USD
Range
5,400 USD

Family
5,400 USD
average per month
1,600 USD
Range
8,200 USD

Student
1,400 USD
average per month
230 USD
Range
2,900 USD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Marshall Islands is 1,800 USD. Expenses can range from 450 USD at the minimum level to 3,800 USD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Marshall Islands is 3,400 USD. Expenditure can range from 680 USD to 5,400 USD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Marshall Islands is 5,400 USD per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,600 USD to 8,200 USD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Marshall Islands is 1,400 USD. Students spend from 230 USD to 2,900 USD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Marshall Islands

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.45 USD

0.45 USD
0.45 USD

Fast food
combo meal

4.5 USD

3.2 USD
7.6 USD

Restaurant
meal for one

15 USD

12 USD
19 USD

Fine dining
meal for one

38 USD

25 USD
45 USD

Soda
Soft Drink

0.38 USD

0.38 USD
0.38 USD

Cappuccino
or latte

3.0 USD

1.9 USD
4.5 USD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.3 USD

1.9 USD
2.5 USD

Loaf of
bread

0.32 USD

0.28 USD
0.38 USD

12
eggs

2.3 USD

1.9 USD
2.8 USD

Fresh whole
chicken

5.3 USD

4.1 USD
6.5 USD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

6.0 USD

5.0 USD
7.6 USD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

3.2 USD

2.8 USD
3.8 USD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.5 USD

1.3 USD
1.9 USD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.6 USD

1.4 USD
1.7 USD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.6 USD

1.4 USD
1.7 USD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.3 USD

1.9 USD
4.5 USD

Average car
full tank

15 USD

11 USD
30 USD

Average car
1-day rental

15 USD

11 USD
23 USD

Average car
price

11,000 USD

5,700 USD
15,000 USD

Bus ticket
one way

0.57 USD

0.38 USD
1.1 USD

Car
Service

23 USD

15 USD
45 USD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

110 USD

27 USD
230 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

140 USD

34 USD
270 USD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

220 USD

48 USD
240 USD

Internet
and cable

23 USD

11 USD
30 USD

Mobile phone
charges

15 USD

9.1 USD
45 USD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

7.6 USD

5.7 USD
11 USD

One month gym
membership

23 USD

18 USD
45 USD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

19 USD

13 USD
28 USD

Woman
dress

17 USD

13 USD
57 USD

Woman
shoes

16 USD

12 USD
38 USD

Men
shoes

13 USD

10 USD
25 USD

Men
suit

14 USD

11 USD
75 USD

Regular
t-shirt

7.6 USD

5.7 USD
23 USD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

280 USD

190 USD
750 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

450 USD

280 USD
1,100 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

570 USD

380 USD
1,500 USD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

57,000 USD

38,000 USD
110,000 USD

1-bedroom
apartment

75,000 USD

45,000 USD
280,000 USD

2-bedroom
apartment

230,000 USD

75,000 USD
450,000 USD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

280 USD

230 USD
380 USD

Double
Bed

230 USD

150 USD
280 USD

Single
Bed

170 USD

130 USD
230 USD

Living
Room

320 USD

250 USD
1,100 USD

Dining
Table

150 USD

110 USD
280 USD

Sofa
or Couch

210 USD

150 USD
450 USD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

230 USD

150 USD
450 USD

Fridge
or Freezer

210 USD

130 USD
280 USD

Washing
Machine

250 USD

170 USD
450 USD

Stove
or Cooker

210 USD

160 USD
280 USD

Mobile
Phone

230 USD

190 USD
320 USD

Laptop
or Computer

250 USD

210 USD
450 USD

How do people spend their money in Marshall Islands?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Marshall Islands

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW160 USD
AVERAGE650 USD
HIGH1,400 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW27 USD
AVERAGE110 USD
HIGH230 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW36 USD
AVERAGE140 USD
HIGH310 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW72 USD
AVERAGE290 USD
HIGH620 USD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW41 USD
AVERAGE160 USD
HIGH350 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW23 USD
AVERAGE91 USD
HIGH190 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW9.1 USD
AVERAGE36 USD
HIGH77 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW82 USD
AVERAGE330 USD
HIGH690 USD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Marshall Islands

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW220 USD
AVERAGE1,100 USD
HIGH1,800 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW34 USD
AVERAGE140 USD
HIGH270 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW82 USD
AVERAGE410 USD
HIGH650 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW95 USD
AVERAGE480 USD
HIGH760 USD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW75 USD
AVERAGE370 USD
HIGH600 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW41 USD
AVERAGE200 USD
HIGH330 USD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW14 USD
AVERAGE68 USD
HIGH110 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW120 USD
AVERAGE580 USD
HIGH920 USD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Marshall Islands

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW510 USD
AVERAGE1,700 USD
HIGH2,600 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW48 USD
AVERAGE220 USD
HIGH240 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW130 USD
AVERAGE430 USD
HIGH650 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW290 USD
AVERAGE980 USD
HIGH1,500 USD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW130 USD
AVERAGE430 USD
HIGH650 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW79 USD
AVERAGE270 USD
HIGH410 USD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW220 USD
AVERAGE760 USD
HIGH1,100 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW190 USD
AVERAGE650 USD
HIGH980 USD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Marshall Islands

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW54 USD
AVERAGE330 USD
HIGH710 USD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW9.1 USD
AVERAGE54 USD
HIGH120 USD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW16 USD
AVERAGE95 USD
HIGH210 USD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW45 USD
AVERAGE270 USD
HIGH590 USD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW14 USD
AVERAGE82 USD
HIGH180 USD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW11 USD
AVERAGE68 USD
HIGH150 USD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW43 USD
AVERAGE260 USD
HIGH560 USD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW34 USD
AVERAGE200 USD
HIGH440 USD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Marshall Islands typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 960 USD with expenditure ranging from 240 USD and 1,600 USD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Marshall Islands ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 130 USD with 29 USD and 220 USD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 65 USD to 450 USD on commuting with 270 USD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Marshall Islands is 500 USD. The cost of groceries can range between 120 USD to 860 USD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Marshall Islands allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 64 USD to 440 USD with 260 USD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 38 USD to 270 USD with 160 USD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 280 USD per month with 72 USD being the minimum spent amount and 470 USD being the maximum.

©copound