Cost Of Living in Mauritania

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Mauritania

Whether you're living in Mauritania or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
16,000 MRO
average per month
4,000 MRO
Range
34,000 MRO

Couple
30,000 MRO
average per month
6,000 MRO
Range
48,000 MRO

Family
48,000 MRO
average per month
14,000 MRO
Range
72,000 MRO

Student
12,000 MRO
average per month
2,000 MRO
Range
26,000 MRO
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Mauritania is 16,000 MRO. Expenses can range from 4,000 MRO at the minimum level to 34,000 MRO at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Mauritania is 30,000 MRO. Expenditure can range from 6,000 MRO to 48,000 MRO per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Mauritania is 48,000 MRO per month. Families spend anywhere from 14,000 MRO to 72,000 MRO.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Mauritania is 12,000 MRO. Students spend from 2,000 MRO to 26,000 MRO per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Mauritania

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

4.0 MRO

4.0 MRO
4.0 MRO

Fast food
combo meal

40 MRO

29 MRO
67 MRO

Restaurant
meal for one

130 MRO

110 MRO
170 MRO

Fine dining
meal for one

330 MRO

220 MRO
400 MRO

Soda
Soft Drink

3.3 MRO

3.3 MRO
3.3 MRO

Cappuccino
or latte

27 MRO

17 MRO
40 MRO

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

20 MRO

17 MRO
22 MRO

Loaf of
bread

2.9 MRO

2.5 MRO
3.3 MRO

12
eggs

20 MRO

17 MRO
25 MRO

Fresh whole
chicken

46 MRO

36 MRO
57 MRO

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

53 MRO

44 MRO
67 MRO

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

29 MRO

25 MRO
33 MRO

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

13 MRO

11 MRO
17 MRO

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

14 MRO

12 MRO
15 MRO

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

14 MRO

12 MRO
15 MRO

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

20 MRO

17 MRO
40 MRO

Average car
full tank

130 MRO

100 MRO
270 MRO

Average car
1-day rental

130 MRO

100 MRO
200 MRO

Average car
price

100,000 MRO

50,000 MRO
130,000 MRO

Bus ticket
one way

5.0 MRO

3.3 MRO
10.0 MRO

Car
Service

200 MRO

130 MRO
400 MRO

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

960 MRO

240 MRO
2,000 MRO

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,200 MRO

300 MRO
2,400 MRO

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,900 MRO

420 MRO
2,200 MRO

Internet
and cable

200 MRO

100 MRO
270 MRO

Mobile phone
charges

130 MRO

80 MRO
400 MRO

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

67 MRO

50 MRO
100 MRO

One month gym
membership

200 MRO

160 MRO
400 MRO

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

170 MRO

120 MRO
250 MRO

Woman
dress

150 MRO

110 MRO
500 MRO

Woman
shoes

140 MRO

110 MRO
330 MRO

Men
shoes

110 MRO

91 MRO
220 MRO

Men
suit

120 MRO

100 MRO
670 MRO

Regular
t-shirt

67 MRO

50 MRO
200 MRO

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

2,500 MRO

1,700 MRO
6,700 MRO

1-bedroom
apartment

4,000 MRO

2,500 MRO
10,000 MRO

2-bedroom
apartment

5,000 MRO

3,300 MRO
13,000 MRO

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

500,000 MRO

330,000 MRO
1,000,000 MRO

1-bedroom
apartment

670,000 MRO

400,000 MRO
2,500,000 MRO

2-bedroom
apartment

2,000,000 MRO

670,000 MRO
4,000,000 MRO

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

2,500 MRO

2,000 MRO
3,300 MRO

Double
Bed

2,000 MRO

1,300 MRO
2,500 MRO

Single
Bed

1,500 MRO

1,200 MRO
2,000 MRO

Living
Room

2,900 MRO

2,200 MRO
10,000 MRO

Dining
Table

1,300 MRO

1,000 MRO
2,500 MRO

Sofa
or Couch

1,800 MRO

1,300 MRO
4,000 MRO

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

2,000 MRO

1,300 MRO
4,000 MRO

Fridge
or Freezer

1,800 MRO

1,200 MRO
2,500 MRO

Washing
Machine

2,200 MRO

1,500 MRO
4,000 MRO

Stove
or Cooker

1,800 MRO

1,400 MRO
2,500 MRO

Mobile
Phone

2,000 MRO

1,700 MRO
2,900 MRO

Laptop
or Computer

2,200 MRO

1,800 MRO
4,000 MRO

How do people spend their money in Mauritania?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Mauritania

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,400 MRO
AVERAGE5,700 MRO
HIGH12,000 MRO
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW240 MRO
AVERAGE960 MRO
HIGH2,000 MRO
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW320 MRO
AVERAGE1,300 MRO
HIGH2,700 MRO
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW640 MRO
AVERAGE2,600 MRO
HIGH5,400 MRO
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW360 MRO
AVERAGE1,400 MRO
HIGH3,100 MRO
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW200 MRO
AVERAGE800 MRO
HIGH1,700 MRO
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW80 MRO
AVERAGE320 MRO
HIGH680 MRO
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW720 MRO
AVERAGE2,900 MRO
HIGH6,100 MRO
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Mauritania

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW2,000 MRO
AVERAGE9,900 MRO
HIGH16,000 MRO
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW300 MRO
AVERAGE1,200 MRO
HIGH2,400 MRO
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW720 MRO
AVERAGE3,600 MRO
HIGH5,700 MRO
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW840 MRO
AVERAGE4,200 MRO
HIGH6,700 MRO
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW660 MRO
AVERAGE3,300 MRO
HIGH5,300 MRO
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW360 MRO
AVERAGE1,800 MRO
HIGH2,900 MRO
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW120 MRO
AVERAGE600 MRO
HIGH960 MRO
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,000 MRO
AVERAGE5,100 MRO
HIGH8,100 MRO
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Mauritania

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW4,500 MRO
AVERAGE15,000 MRO
HIGH23,000 MRO
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW420 MRO
AVERAGE1,900 MRO
HIGH2,200 MRO
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,100 MRO
AVERAGE3,800 MRO
HIGH5,700 MRO
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW2,500 MRO
AVERAGE8,600 MRO
HIGH13,000 MRO
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,100 MRO
AVERAGE3,800 MRO
HIGH5,700 MRO
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW700 MRO
AVERAGE2,400 MRO
HIGH3,600 MRO
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW2,000 MRO
AVERAGE6,700 MRO
HIGH10,000 MRO
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,700 MRO
AVERAGE5,700 MRO
HIGH8,600 MRO
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Mauritania

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW480 MRO
AVERAGE2,900 MRO
HIGH6,200 MRO
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW80 MRO
AVERAGE480 MRO
HIGH1,000 MRO
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW140 MRO
AVERAGE840 MRO
HIGH1,800 MRO
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW400 MRO
AVERAGE2,400 MRO
HIGH5,200 MRO
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW120 MRO
AVERAGE720 MRO
HIGH1,600 MRO
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW100 MRO
AVERAGE600 MRO
HIGH1,300 MRO
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW380 MRO
AVERAGE2,300 MRO
HIGH4,900 MRO
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW300 MRO
AVERAGE1,800 MRO
HIGH3,900 MRO
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Mauritania typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 8,500 MRO with expenditure ranging from 2,100 MRO and 14,000 MRO. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Mauritania ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,100 MRO with 260 MRO and 1,900 MRO being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 570 MRO to 4,000 MRO on commuting with 2,400 MRO being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Mauritania is 4,400 MRO. The cost of groceries can range between 1,100 MRO to 7,600 MRO. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Mauritania allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 560 MRO to 3,900 MRO with 2,300 MRO being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 340 MRO to 2,400 MRO with 1,400 MRO being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 2,500 MRO per month with 630 MRO being the minimum spent amount and 4,200 MRO being the maximum.

©copound