Cost Of Living in Mauritius

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Mauritius

Whether you're living in Mauritius or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
37,000 MUR
average per month
9,300 MUR
Range
79,000 MUR

Couple
70,000 MUR
average per month
14,000 MUR
Range
110,000 MUR

Family
110,000 MUR
average per month
33,000 MUR
Range
170,000 MUR

Student
28,000 MUR
average per month
4,700 MUR
Range
61,000 MUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Mauritius is 37,000 MUR. Expenses can range from 9,300 MUR at the minimum level to 79,000 MUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Mauritius is 70,000 MUR. Expenditure can range from 14,000 MUR to 110,000 MUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Mauritius is 110,000 MUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 33,000 MUR to 170,000 MUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Mauritius is 28,000 MUR. Students spend from 4,700 MUR to 61,000 MUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Mauritius

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

9.3 MUR

9.3 MUR
9.3 MUR

Fast food
combo meal

93 MUR

67 MUR
160 MUR

Restaurant
meal for one

310 MUR

250 MUR
390 MUR

Fine dining
meal for one

780 MUR

520 MUR
930 MUR

Soda
Soft Drink

7.8 MUR

7.8 MUR
7.8 MUR

Cappuccino
or latte

62 MUR

39 MUR
93 MUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

47 MUR

39 MUR
52 MUR

Loaf of
bread

6.7 MUR

5.8 MUR
7.8 MUR

12
eggs

47 MUR

39 MUR
58 MUR

Fresh whole
chicken

110 MUR

85 MUR
130 MUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

120 MUR

100 MUR
160 MUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

67 MUR

58 MUR
78 MUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

31 MUR

26 MUR
39 MUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

33 MUR

29 MUR
36 MUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

32 MUR

28 MUR
36 MUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

47 MUR

39 MUR
93 MUR

Average car
full tank

310 MUR

230 MUR
620 MUR

Average car
1-day rental

310 MUR

230 MUR
470 MUR

Average car
price

230,000 MUR

120,000 MUR
310,000 MUR

Bus ticket
one way

12 MUR

7.8 MUR
23 MUR

Car
Service

470 MUR

310 MUR
930 MUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

2,200 MUR

560 MUR
4,800 MUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

2,800 MUR

700 MUR
5,600 MUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

4,500 MUR

980 MUR
5,000 MUR

Internet
and cable

470 MUR

230 MUR
620 MUR

Mobile phone
charges

310 MUR

190 MUR
930 MUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

160 MUR

120 MUR
230 MUR

One month gym
membership

470 MUR

370 MUR
930 MUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

390 MUR

270 MUR
580 MUR

Woman
dress

360 MUR

260 MUR
1,200 MUR

Woman
shoes

330 MUR

250 MUR
780 MUR

Men
shoes

260 MUR

210 MUR
520 MUR

Men
suit

290 MUR

230 MUR
1,600 MUR

Regular
t-shirt

160 MUR

120 MUR
470 MUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

5,800 MUR

3,900 MUR
16,000 MUR

1-bedroom
apartment

9,300 MUR

5,800 MUR
23,000 MUR

2-bedroom
apartment

12,000 MUR

7,800 MUR
31,000 MUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

1,200,000 MUR

780,000 MUR
2,300,000 MUR

1-bedroom
apartment

1,600,000 MUR

930,000 MUR
5,800,000 MUR

2-bedroom
apartment

4,700,000 MUR

1,600,000 MUR
9,300,000 MUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

5,800 MUR

4,700 MUR
7,800 MUR

Double
Bed

4,700 MUR

3,100 MUR
5,800 MUR

Single
Bed

3,600 MUR

2,700 MUR
4,700 MUR

Living
Room

6,700 MUR

5,200 MUR
23,000 MUR

Dining
Table

3,100 MUR

2,300 MUR
5,800 MUR

Sofa
or Couch

4,200 MUR

3,100 MUR
9,300 MUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

4,700 MUR

3,100 MUR
9,300 MUR

Fridge
or Freezer

4,200 MUR

2,700 MUR
5,800 MUR

Washing
Machine

5,200 MUR

3,600 MUR
9,300 MUR

Stove
or Cooker

4,200 MUR

3,300 MUR
5,800 MUR

Mobile
Phone

4,700 MUR

3,900 MUR
6,700 MUR

Laptop
or Computer

5,200 MUR

4,200 MUR
9,300 MUR

How do people spend their money in Mauritius?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Mauritius

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW3,400 MUR
AVERAGE13,000 MUR
HIGH29,000 MUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW560 MUR
AVERAGE2,200 MUR
HIGH4,800 MUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW750 MUR
AVERAGE3,000 MUR
HIGH6,300 MUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,500 MUR
AVERAGE6,000 MUR
HIGH13,000 MUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW840 MUR
AVERAGE3,400 MUR
HIGH7,100 MUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW470 MUR
AVERAGE1,900 MUR
HIGH4,000 MUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW190 MUR
AVERAGE750 MUR
HIGH1,600 MUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,700 MUR
AVERAGE6,700 MUR
HIGH14,000 MUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Mauritius

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW4,600 MUR
AVERAGE23,000 MUR
HIGH37,000 MUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW700 MUR
AVERAGE2,800 MUR
HIGH5,600 MUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,700 MUR
AVERAGE8,400 MUR
HIGH13,000 MUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW2,000 MUR
AVERAGE9,800 MUR
HIGH16,000 MUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,500 MUR
AVERAGE7,700 MUR
HIGH12,000 MUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW840 MUR
AVERAGE4,200 MUR
HIGH6,700 MUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW280 MUR
AVERAGE1,400 MUR
HIGH2,200 MUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW2,400 MUR
AVERAGE12,000 MUR
HIGH19,000 MUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Mauritius

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW10,000 MUR
AVERAGE36,000 MUR
HIGH54,000 MUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW980 MUR
AVERAGE4,500 MUR
HIGH5,000 MUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW2,600 MUR
AVERAGE8,900 MUR
HIGH13,000 MUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW5,900 MUR
AVERAGE20,000 MUR
HIGH30,000 MUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW2,600 MUR
AVERAGE8,900 MUR
HIGH13,000 MUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,600 MUR
AVERAGE5,600 MUR
HIGH8,400 MUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW4,600 MUR
AVERAGE16,000 MUR
HIGH23,000 MUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW3,900 MUR
AVERAGE13,000 MUR
HIGH20,000 MUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Mauritius

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW1,100 MUR
AVERAGE6,700 MUR
HIGH15,000 MUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW190 MUR
AVERAGE1,100 MUR
HIGH2,400 MUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW330 MUR
AVERAGE2,000 MUR
HIGH4,200 MUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW930 MUR
AVERAGE5,600 MUR
HIGH12,000 MUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW280 MUR
AVERAGE1,700 MUR
HIGH3,600 MUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW230 MUR
AVERAGE1,400 MUR
HIGH3,000 MUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW890 MUR
AVERAGE5,300 MUR
HIGH12,000 MUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW700 MUR
AVERAGE4,200 MUR
HIGH9,100 MUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Mauritius typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 20,000 MUR with expenditure ranging from 4,900 MUR and 33,000 MUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Mauritius ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 2,700 MUR with 610 MUR and 4,500 MUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 1,300 MUR to 9,400 MUR on commuting with 5,600 MUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Mauritius is 10,000 MUR. The cost of groceries can range between 2,600 MUR to 18,000 MUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Mauritius allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 1,300 MUR to 9,100 MUR with 5,400 MUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 790 MUR to 5,500 MUR with 3,300 MUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 5,800 MUR per month with 1,500 MUR being the minimum spent amount and 9,700 MUR being the maximum.

©copound