Cost Of Living in Mexico

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Mexico

Whether you're living in Mexico or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
27,000 MXN
average per month
6,700 MXN
Range
57,000 MXN

Couple
50,000 MXN
average per month
10,000 MXN
Range
80,000 MXN

Family
80,000 MXN
average per month
23,000 MXN
Range
120,000 MXN

Student
20,000 MXN
average per month
3,300 MXN
Range
43,000 MXN
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Mexico is 27,000 MXN. Expenses can range from 6,700 MXN at the minimum level to 57,000 MXN at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Mexico is 50,000 MXN. Expenditure can range from 10,000 MXN to 80,000 MXN per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Mexico is 80,000 MXN per month. Families spend anywhere from 23,000 MXN to 120,000 MXN.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Mexico is 20,000 MXN. Students spend from 3,300 MXN to 43,000 MXN per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Mexico

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

6.7 MXN

6.7 MXN
6.7 MXN

Fast food
combo meal

67 MXN

48 MXN
110 MXN

Restaurant
meal for one

220 MXN

180 MXN
280 MXN

Fine dining
meal for one

560 MXN

370 MXN
670 MXN

Soda
Soft Drink

5.6 MXN

5.6 MXN
5.6 MXN

Cappuccino
or latte

44 MXN

28 MXN
67 MXN

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

33 MXN

28 MXN
37 MXN

Loaf of
bread

4.8 MXN

4.2 MXN
5.6 MXN

12
eggs

33 MXN

28 MXN
42 MXN

Fresh whole
chicken

78 MXN

61 MXN
95 MXN

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

88 MXN

74 MXN
110 MXN

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

48 MXN

42 MXN
56 MXN

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

22 MXN

19 MXN
28 MXN

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

24 MXN

21 MXN
26 MXN

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

23 MXN

20 MXN
26 MXN

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

33 MXN

28 MXN
67 MXN

Average car
full tank

220 MXN

170 MXN
440 MXN

Average car
1-day rental

220 MXN

170 MXN
330 MXN

Average car
price

170,000 MXN

83,000 MXN
220,000 MXN

Bus ticket
one way

8.3 MXN

5.6 MXN
17 MXN

Car
Service

330 MXN

220 MXN
670 MXN

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,600 MXN

400 MXN
3,400 MXN

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

2,000 MXN

500 MXN
4,000 MXN

Electricity
and water bill
Family

3,200 MXN

700 MXN
3,600 MXN

Internet
and cable

330 MXN

170 MXN
440 MXN

Mobile phone
charges

220 MXN

130 MXN
670 MXN

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

110 MXN

83 MXN
170 MXN

One month gym
membership

330 MXN

270 MXN
670 MXN

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

280 MXN

200 MXN
420 MXN

Woman
dress

260 MXN

190 MXN
830 MXN

Woman
shoes

240 MXN

180 MXN
560 MXN

Men
shoes

190 MXN

150 MXN
370 MXN

Men
suit

210 MXN

170 MXN
1,100 MXN

Regular
t-shirt

110 MXN

83 MXN
330 MXN

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

4,200 MXN

2,800 MXN
11,000 MXN

1-bedroom
apartment

6,700 MXN

4,200 MXN
17,000 MXN

2-bedroom
apartment

8,300 MXN

5,600 MXN
22,000 MXN

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

830,000 MXN

560,000 MXN
1,700,000 MXN

1-bedroom
apartment

1,100,000 MXN

670,000 MXN
4,200,000 MXN

2-bedroom
apartment

3,300,000 MXN

1,100,000 MXN
6,700,000 MXN

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

4,200 MXN

3,300 MXN
5,600 MXN

Double
Bed

3,300 MXN

2,200 MXN
4,200 MXN

Single
Bed

2,600 MXN

2,000 MXN
3,300 MXN

Living
Room

4,800 MXN

3,700 MXN
17,000 MXN

Dining
Table

2,200 MXN

1,700 MXN
4,200 MXN

Sofa
or Couch

3,000 MXN

2,200 MXN
6,700 MXN

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

3,300 MXN

2,200 MXN
6,700 MXN

Fridge
or Freezer

3,000 MXN

2,000 MXN
4,200 MXN

Washing
Machine

3,700 MXN

2,600 MXN
6,700 MXN

Stove
or Cooker

3,000 MXN

2,400 MXN
4,200 MXN

Mobile
Phone

3,300 MXN

2,800 MXN
4,800 MXN

Laptop
or Computer

3,700 MXN

3,000 MXN
6,700 MXN

How do people spend their money in Mexico?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Mexico

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW2,400 MXN
AVERAGE9,600 MXN
HIGH20,000 MXN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW400 MXN
AVERAGE1,600 MXN
HIGH3,400 MXN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW530 MXN
AVERAGE2,100 MXN
HIGH4,500 MXN
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,100 MXN
AVERAGE4,300 MXN
HIGH9,100 MXN
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW600 MXN
AVERAGE2,400 MXN
HIGH5,100 MXN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW330 MXN
AVERAGE1,300 MXN
HIGH2,800 MXN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW130 MXN
AVERAGE530 MXN
HIGH1,100 MXN
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,200 MXN
AVERAGE4,800 MXN
HIGH10,000 MXN
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Mexico

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW3,300 MXN
AVERAGE17,000 MXN
HIGH26,000 MXN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW500 MXN
AVERAGE2,000 MXN
HIGH4,000 MXN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,200 MXN
AVERAGE6,000 MXN
HIGH9,600 MXN
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,400 MXN
AVERAGE7,000 MXN
HIGH11,000 MXN
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,100 MXN
AVERAGE5,500 MXN
HIGH8,800 MXN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW600 MXN
AVERAGE3,000 MXN
HIGH4,800 MXN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW200 MXN
AVERAGE1,000 MXN
HIGH1,600 MXN
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,700 MXN
AVERAGE8,500 MXN
HIGH14,000 MXN
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Mexico

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW7,500 MXN
AVERAGE26,000 MXN
HIGH38,000 MXN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW700 MXN
AVERAGE3,200 MXN
HIGH3,600 MXN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,900 MXN
AVERAGE6,400 MXN
HIGH9,600 MXN
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW4,200 MXN
AVERAGE14,000 MXN
HIGH22,000 MXN
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,900 MXN
AVERAGE6,400 MXN
HIGH9,600 MXN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,200 MXN
AVERAGE4,000 MXN
HIGH6,000 MXN
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW3,300 MXN
AVERAGE11,000 MXN
HIGH17,000 MXN
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW2,800 MXN
AVERAGE9,600 MXN
HIGH14,000 MXN
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Mexico

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW800 MXN
AVERAGE4,800 MXN
HIGH10,000 MXN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW130 MXN
AVERAGE800 MXN
HIGH1,700 MXN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW230 MXN
AVERAGE1,400 MXN
HIGH3,000 MXN
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW670 MXN
AVERAGE4,000 MXN
HIGH8,700 MXN
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW200 MXN
AVERAGE1,200 MXN
HIGH2,600 MXN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW170 MXN
AVERAGE1,000 MXN
HIGH2,200 MXN
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW630 MXN
AVERAGE3,800 MXN
HIGH8,200 MXN
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW500 MXN
AVERAGE3,000 MXN
HIGH6,500 MXN
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Mexico typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 14,000 MXN with expenditure ranging from 3,500 MXN and 24,000 MXN. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Mexico ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,900 MXN with 430 MXN and 3,200 MXN being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 960 MXN to 6,700 MXN on commuting with 4,000 MXN being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Mexico is 7,400 MXN. The cost of groceries can range between 1,800 MXN to 13,000 MXN. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Mexico allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 940 MXN to 6,500 MXN with 3,900 MXN being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 570 MXN to 4,000 MXN with 2,300 MXN being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 4,100 MXN per month with 1,100 MXN being the minimum spent amount and 6,900 MXN being the maximum.

Mexico City   Ecatepec de Morelos   Guadalajara   Puebla   Tijuana   Ciudad Juarez   Monterrey   Leon   Nezahualcoyotl   Zapopan   Naucalpan   Chihuahua   Merida   Guadalupe   San Luis Potosi   Tlalnepantla de Baz   Aguascalientes   Mexicali   Hermosillo   Saltillo   Acapulco   Morelia   Culiacan   Queretaro   Torreon   Tlaquepaque   Cancun   Chimalhuacan   Reynosa   Tuxtla Gutierrez   Cuautitlan Izcalli   San Nicolas de los Garza   Ciudad Lopez Mateos   Toluca   Durango   Veracruz   Matamoros   Ciudad Apodaca   Xalapa   Tonala   Mazatlan   Nuevo Laredo   Irapuato   Villahermosa   Cuernavaca   Xico   Celaya   Tampico   Tepic   General Escobedo   Ixtapaluca   Coacalco   Ciudad Victoria   Ciudad Obregon   Pachuca   Ensenada   Ciudad Santa Catarina   Oaxaca   Villa Nicolas Romero   Gomez Palacio   Uruapan   Tehuacan   Coatzacoalcos   Los Reyes la Paz   Los Mochis   Soledad de Graciano Sanchez   Campeche   Monclova   Buenavista   Cholula de Rivadabia   Tapachula   Nogales   La Paz   Puerto Vallarta   Poza Rica   Chicoloapan   Chilpancingo   Metepec   Ojo de Agua   Ciudad del Carmen   San Pablo de las Salinas   Jiutepec   Cuautla   Chalco   Salamanca   San Cristobal de las Casas   Piedras Negras   San Luis Rio Colorado   Chetumal   Cordoba   Boca del Rio   Zamora de Hidalgo   Acuna   Colima   Zacatecas   San Pedro Garza Garcia   San Juan del Rio   Orizaba   Ciudad Valles   Fresnillo   Manzanillo   Iguala   Minatitlan   Delicias   Navojoa   Guaymas   Hidalgo del Parral   Playa del Carmen  
©copound