Cost Of Living in Moldova

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Moldova

Whether you're living in Moldova or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
21,000 MDL
average per month
5,300 MDL
Range
45,000 MDL

Couple
40,000 MDL
average per month
8,000 MDL
Range
64,000 MDL

Family
64,000 MDL
average per month
19,000 MDL
Range
96,000 MDL

Student
16,000 MDL
average per month
2,700 MDL
Range
35,000 MDL
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Moldova is 21,000 MDL. Expenses can range from 5,300 MDL at the minimum level to 45,000 MDL at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Moldova is 40,000 MDL. Expenditure can range from 8,000 MDL to 64,000 MDL per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Moldova is 64,000 MDL per month. Families spend anywhere from 19,000 MDL to 96,000 MDL.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Moldova is 16,000 MDL. Students spend from 2,700 MDL to 35,000 MDL per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Moldova

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

5.4 MDL

5.4 MDL
5.4 MDL

Fast food
combo meal

53 MDL

38 MDL
89 MDL

Restaurant
meal for one

180 MDL

140 MDL
220 MDL

Fine dining
meal for one

450 MDL

300 MDL
530 MDL

Soda
Soft Drink

4.5 MDL

4.5 MDL
4.5 MDL

Cappuccino
or latte

36 MDL

22 MDL
53 MDL

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

27 MDL

22 MDL
30 MDL

Loaf of
bread

3.8 MDL

3.3 MDL
4.5 MDL

12
eggs

27 MDL

22 MDL
33 MDL

Fresh whole
chicken

62 MDL

49 MDL
76 MDL

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

70 MDL

59 MDL
89 MDL

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

38 MDL

33 MDL
45 MDL

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

18 MDL

15 MDL
22 MDL

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

19 MDL

17 MDL
21 MDL

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

18 MDL

16 MDL
21 MDL

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

27 MDL

22 MDL
53 MDL

Average car
full tank

180 MDL

130 MDL
360 MDL

Average car
1-day rental

180 MDL

130 MDL
270 MDL

Average car
price

130,000 MDL

67,000 MDL
180,000 MDL

Bus ticket
one way

6.7 MDL

4.5 MDL
13 MDL

Car
Service

270 MDL

180 MDL
530 MDL

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,300 MDL

320 MDL
2,700 MDL

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,600 MDL

400 MDL
3,200 MDL

Electricity
and water bill
Family

2,600 MDL

560 MDL
2,900 MDL

Internet
and cable

270 MDL

130 MDL
360 MDL

Mobile phone
charges

180 MDL

110 MDL
530 MDL

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

89 MDL

67 MDL
130 MDL

One month gym
membership

270 MDL

210 MDL
530 MDL

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

220 MDL

160 MDL
330 MDL

Woman
dress

210 MDL

150 MDL
670 MDL

Woman
shoes

190 MDL

140 MDL
450 MDL

Men
shoes

150 MDL

120 MDL
300 MDL

Men
suit

170 MDL

130 MDL
890 MDL

Regular
t-shirt

89 MDL

67 MDL
270 MDL

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

3,300 MDL

2,200 MDL
8,900 MDL

1-bedroom
apartment

5,300 MDL

3,300 MDL
13,000 MDL

2-bedroom
apartment

6,700 MDL

4,500 MDL
18,000 MDL

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

670,000 MDL

450,000 MDL
1,300,000 MDL

1-bedroom
apartment

890,000 MDL

530,000 MDL
3,300,000 MDL

2-bedroom
apartment

2,700,000 MDL

890,000 MDL
5,300,000 MDL

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

3,300 MDL

2,700 MDL
4,500 MDL

Double
Bed

2,700 MDL

1,800 MDL
3,300 MDL

Single
Bed

2,100 MDL

1,600 MDL
2,700 MDL

Living
Room

3,800 MDL

3,000 MDL
13,000 MDL

Dining
Table

1,800 MDL

1,300 MDL
3,300 MDL

Sofa
or Couch

2,400 MDL

1,800 MDL
5,300 MDL

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

2,700 MDL

1,800 MDL
5,300 MDL

Fridge
or Freezer

2,400 MDL

1,600 MDL
3,300 MDL

Washing
Machine

3,000 MDL

2,100 MDL
5,300 MDL

Stove
or Cooker

2,400 MDL

1,900 MDL
3,300 MDL

Mobile
Phone

2,700 MDL

2,200 MDL
3,800 MDL

Laptop
or Computer

3,000 MDL

2,400 MDL
5,300 MDL

How do people spend their money in Moldova?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Moldova

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,900 MDL
AVERAGE7,700 MDL
HIGH16,000 MDL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW320 MDL
AVERAGE1,300 MDL
HIGH2,700 MDL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW430 MDL
AVERAGE1,700 MDL
HIGH3,600 MDL
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW860 MDL
AVERAGE3,400 MDL
HIGH7,300 MDL
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW480 MDL
AVERAGE1,900 MDL
HIGH4,100 MDL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW270 MDL
AVERAGE1,100 MDL
HIGH2,300 MDL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW110 MDL
AVERAGE430 MDL
HIGH910 MDL
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW960 MDL
AVERAGE3,900 MDL
HIGH8,200 MDL
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Moldova

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW2,600 MDL
AVERAGE13,000 MDL
HIGH21,000 MDL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW400 MDL
AVERAGE1,600 MDL
HIGH3,200 MDL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW960 MDL
AVERAGE4,800 MDL
HIGH7,700 MDL
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,100 MDL
AVERAGE5,600 MDL
HIGH9,000 MDL
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW880 MDL
AVERAGE4,400 MDL
HIGH7,100 MDL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW480 MDL
AVERAGE2,400 MDL
HIGH3,900 MDL
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW160 MDL
AVERAGE800 MDL
HIGH1,300 MDL
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW1,400 MDL
AVERAGE6,800 MDL
HIGH11,000 MDL
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Moldova

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW6,000 MDL
AVERAGE21,000 MDL
HIGH31,000 MDL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW560 MDL
AVERAGE2,600 MDL
HIGH2,900 MDL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,500 MDL
AVERAGE5,100 MDL
HIGH7,700 MDL
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW3,400 MDL
AVERAGE12,000 MDL
HIGH17,000 MDL
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,500 MDL
AVERAGE5,100 MDL
HIGH7,700 MDL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW940 MDL
AVERAGE3,200 MDL
HIGH4,800 MDL
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW2,600 MDL
AVERAGE9,000 MDL
HIGH13,000 MDL
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW2,200 MDL
AVERAGE7,700 MDL
HIGH12,000 MDL
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Moldova

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW640 MDL
AVERAGE3,900 MDL
HIGH8,300 MDL
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW110 MDL
AVERAGE640 MDL
HIGH1,400 MDL
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW190 MDL
AVERAGE1,100 MDL
HIGH2,400 MDL
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW530 MDL
AVERAGE3,200 MDL
HIGH7,000 MDL
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW160 MDL
AVERAGE960 MDL
HIGH2,100 MDL
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW130 MDL
AVERAGE800 MDL
HIGH1,700 MDL
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW510 MDL
AVERAGE3,000 MDL
HIGH6,600 MDL
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW400 MDL
AVERAGE2,400 MDL
HIGH5,200 MDL
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Moldova typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 11,000 MDL with expenditure ranging from 2,800 MDL and 19,000 MDL. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Moldova ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,500 MDL with 350 MDL and 2,600 MDL being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 770 MDL to 5,400 MDL on commuting with 3,200 MDL being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Moldova is 5,900 MDL. The cost of groceries can range between 1,500 MDL to 10,000 MDL. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Moldova allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 760 MDL to 5,200 MDL with 3,100 MDL being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 450 MDL to 3,200 MDL with 1,900 MDL being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 3,300 MDL per month with 850 MDL being the minimum spent amount and 5,600 MDL being the maximum.

©copound