Cost Of Living in Mongolia

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Mongolia

Whether you're living in Mongolia or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
1,600,000 MNT
average per month
390,000 MNT
Range
3,300,000 MNT

Couple
2,900,000 MNT
average per month
590,000 MNT
Range
4,700,000 MNT

Family
4,700,000 MNT
average per month
1,400,000 MNT
Range
7,000,000 MNT

Student
1,200,000 MNT
average per month
200,000 MNT
Range
2,500,000 MNT
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Mongolia is 1,600,000 MNT. Expenses can range from 390,000 MNT at the minimum level to 3,300,000 MNT at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Mongolia is 2,900,000 MNT. Expenditure can range from 590,000 MNT to 4,700,000 MNT per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Mongolia is 4,700,000 MNT per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,400,000 MNT to 7,000,000 MNT.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Mongolia is 1,200,000 MNT. Students spend from 200,000 MNT to 2,500,000 MNT per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Mongolia

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

390 MNT

390 MNT
390 MNT

Fast food
combo meal

3,900 MNT

2,800 MNT
6,500 MNT

Restaurant
meal for one

13,000 MNT

10,000 MNT
16,000 MNT

Fine dining
meal for one

33,000 MNT

22,000 MNT
39,000 MNT

Soda
Soft Drink

330 MNT

330 MNT
330 MNT

Cappuccino
or latte

2,600 MNT

1,600 MNT
3,900 MNT

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2,000 MNT

1,600 MNT
2,200 MNT

Loaf of
bread

280 MNT

240 MNT
330 MNT

12
eggs

2,000 MNT

1,600 MNT
2,400 MNT

Fresh whole
chicken

4,600 MNT

3,600 MNT
5,600 MNT

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

5,200 MNT

4,400 MNT
6,500 MNT

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

2,800 MNT

2,400 MNT
3,300 MNT

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1,300 MNT

1,100 MNT
1,600 MNT

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1,400 MNT

1,200 MNT
1,500 MNT

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1,400 MNT

1,200 MNT
1,500 MNT

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2,000 MNT

1,600 MNT
3,900 MNT

Average car
full tank

13,000 MNT

9,800 MNT
26,000 MNT

Average car
1-day rental

13,000 MNT

9,800 MNT
20,000 MNT

Average car
price

9,800,000 MNT

4,900,000 MNT
13,000,000 MNT

Bus ticket
one way

490 MNT

330 MNT
980 MNT

Car
Service

20,000 MNT

13,000 MNT
39,000 MNT

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

94,000 MNT

23,000 MNT
200,000 MNT

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

120,000 MNT

29,000 MNT
230,000 MNT

Electricity
and water bill
Family

190,000 MNT

41,000 MNT
210,000 MNT

Internet
and cable

20,000 MNT

9,800 MNT
26,000 MNT

Mobile phone
charges

13,000 MNT

7,800 MNT
39,000 MNT

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

6,500 MNT

4,900 MNT
9,800 MNT

One month gym
membership

20,000 MNT

16,000 MNT
39,000 MNT

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

16,000 MNT

12,000 MNT
24,000 MNT

Woman
dress

15,000 MNT

11,000 MNT
49,000 MNT

Woman
shoes

14,000 MNT

10,000 MNT
33,000 MNT

Men
shoes

11,000 MNT

8,900 MNT
22,000 MNT

Men
suit

12,000 MNT

9,800 MNT
65,000 MNT

Regular
t-shirt

6,500 MNT

4,900 MNT
20,000 MNT

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

240,000 MNT

160,000 MNT
650,000 MNT

1-bedroom
apartment

390,000 MNT

240,000 MNT
980,000 MNT

2-bedroom
apartment

490,000 MNT

330,000 MNT
1,300,000 MNT

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

49,000,000 MNT

33,000,000 MNT
98,000,000 MNT

1-bedroom
apartment

65,000,000 MNT

39,000,000 MNT
240,000,000 MNT

2-bedroom
apartment

200,000,000 MNT

65,000,000 MNT
390,000,000 MNT

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

240,000 MNT

200,000 MNT
330,000 MNT

Double
Bed

200,000 MNT

130,000 MNT
240,000 MNT

Single
Bed

150,000 MNT

120,000 MNT
200,000 MNT

Living
Room

280,000 MNT

220,000 MNT
980,000 MNT

Dining
Table

130,000 MNT

98,000 MNT
240,000 MNT

Sofa
or Couch

180,000 MNT

130,000 MNT
390,000 MNT

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

200,000 MNT

130,000 MNT
390,000 MNT

Fridge
or Freezer

180,000 MNT

120,000 MNT
240,000 MNT

Washing
Machine

220,000 MNT

150,000 MNT
390,000 MNT

Stove
or Cooker

180,000 MNT

140,000 MNT
240,000 MNT

Mobile
Phone

200,000 MNT

160,000 MNT
280,000 MNT

Laptop
or Computer

220,000 MNT

180,000 MNT
390,000 MNT

How do people spend their money in Mongolia?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Mongolia

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW140,000 MNT
AVERAGE560,000 MNT
HIGH1,200,000 MNT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW23,000 MNT
AVERAGE94,000 MNT
HIGH200,000 MNT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW31,000 MNT
AVERAGE130,000 MNT
HIGH270,000 MNT
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW63,000 MNT
AVERAGE250,000 MNT
HIGH530,000 MNT
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW35,000 MNT
AVERAGE140,000 MNT
HIGH300,000 MNT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW20,000 MNT
AVERAGE78,000 MNT
HIGH170,000 MNT
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW7,800 MNT
AVERAGE31,000 MNT
HIGH67,000 MNT
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW70,000 MNT
AVERAGE280,000 MNT
HIGH600,000 MNT
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Mongolia

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW190,000 MNT
AVERAGE970,000 MNT
HIGH1,600,000 MNT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW29,000 MNT
AVERAGE120,000 MNT
HIGH230,000 MNT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW70,000 MNT
AVERAGE350,000 MNT
HIGH560,000 MNT
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW82,000 MNT
AVERAGE410,000 MNT
HIGH660,000 MNT
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW65,000 MNT
AVERAGE320,000 MNT
HIGH520,000 MNT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW35,000 MNT
AVERAGE180,000 MNT
HIGH280,000 MNT
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW12,000 MNT
AVERAGE59,000 MNT
HIGH94,000 MNT
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW100,000 MNT
AVERAGE500,000 MNT
HIGH800,000 MNT
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Mongolia

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW440,000 MNT
AVERAGE1,500,000 MNT
HIGH2,300,000 MNT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW41,000 MNT
AVERAGE190,000 MNT
HIGH210,000 MNT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW110,000 MNT
AVERAGE380,000 MNT
HIGH560,000 MNT
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW250,000 MNT
AVERAGE850,000 MNT
HIGH1,300,000 MNT
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW110,000 MNT
AVERAGE380,000 MNT
HIGH560,000 MNT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW69,000 MNT
AVERAGE230,000 MNT
HIGH350,000 MNT
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW190,000 MNT
AVERAGE660,000 MNT
HIGH990,000 MNT
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW160,000 MNT
AVERAGE560,000 MNT
HIGH850,000 MNT
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Mongolia

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW47,000 MNT
AVERAGE280,000 MNT
HIGH610,000 MNT
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW7,800 MNT
AVERAGE47,000 MNT
HIGH100,000 MNT
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW14,000 MNT
AVERAGE82,000 MNT
HIGH180,000 MNT
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW39,000 MNT
AVERAGE230,000 MNT
HIGH510,000 MNT
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW12,000 MNT
AVERAGE70,000 MNT
HIGH150,000 MNT
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW9,800 MNT
AVERAGE59,000 MNT
HIGH130,000 MNT
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW37,000 MNT
AVERAGE220,000 MNT
HIGH480,000 MNT
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW29,000 MNT
AVERAGE180,000 MNT
HIGH380,000 MNT
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Mongolia typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 830,000 MNT with expenditure ranging from 210,000 MNT and 1,400,000 MNT. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Mongolia ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 110,000 MNT with 25,000 MNT and 190,000 MNT being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 56,000 MNT to 390,000 MNT on commuting with 230,000 MNT being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Mongolia is 440,000 MNT. The cost of groceries can range between 110,000 MNT to 740,000 MNT. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Mongolia allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 55,000 MNT to 380,000 MNT with 230,000 MNT being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 33,000 MNT to 230,000 MNT with 140,000 MNT being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 240,000 MNT per month with 62,000 MNT being the minimum spent amount and 410,000 MNT being the maximum.

©copound