Cost Of Living in Montenegro

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Montenegro

Whether you're living in Montenegro or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
2,100 EUR
average per month
540 EUR
Range
4,600 EUR

Couple
4,000 EUR
average per month
800 EUR
Range
6,400 EUR

Family
6,400 EUR
average per month
1,900 EUR
Range
9,700 EUR

Student
1,600 EUR
average per month
270 EUR
Range
3,500 EUR
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Montenegro is 2,100 EUR. Expenses can range from 540 EUR at the minimum level to 4,600 EUR at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Montenegro is 4,000 EUR. Expenditure can range from 800 EUR to 6,400 EUR per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Montenegro is 6,400 EUR per month. Families spend anywhere from 1,900 EUR to 9,700 EUR.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Montenegro is 1,600 EUR. Students spend from 270 EUR to 3,500 EUR per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Montenegro

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

0.54 EUR

0.54 EUR
0.54 EUR

Fast food
combo meal

5.4 EUR

3.8 EUR
8.9 EUR

Restaurant
meal for one

18 EUR

14 EUR
22 EUR

Fine dining
meal for one

45 EUR

30 EUR
54 EUR

Soda
Soft Drink

0.45 EUR

0.45 EUR
0.45 EUR

Cappuccino
or latte

3.6 EUR

2.2 EUR
5.4 EUR

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

2.7 EUR

2.2 EUR
3.0 EUR

Loaf of
bread

0.38 EUR

0.34 EUR
0.45 EUR

12
eggs

2.7 EUR

2.2 EUR
3.4 EUR

Fresh whole
chicken

6.2 EUR

4.9 EUR
7.7 EUR

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

7.1 EUR

6.0 EUR
8.9 EUR

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

3.8 EUR

3.4 EUR
4.5 EUR

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

1.8 EUR

1.5 EUR
2.2 EUR

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

1.9 EUR

1.7 EUR
2.1 EUR

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

1.9 EUR

1.6 EUR
2.1 EUR

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

2.7 EUR

2.2 EUR
5.4 EUR

Average car
full tank

18 EUR

13 EUR
36 EUR

Average car
1-day rental

18 EUR

13 EUR
27 EUR

Average car
price

13,000 EUR

6,700 EUR
18,000 EUR

Bus ticket
one way

0.67 EUR

0.45 EUR
1.3 EUR

Car
Service

27 EUR

18 EUR
54 EUR

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

130 EUR

32 EUR
270 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

160 EUR

40 EUR
320 EUR

Electricity
and water bill
Family

260 EUR

56 EUR
290 EUR

Internet
and cable

27 EUR

13 EUR
36 EUR

Mobile phone
charges

18 EUR

11 EUR
54 EUR

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

8.9 EUR

6.7 EUR
13 EUR

One month gym
membership

27 EUR

21 EUR
54 EUR

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

22 EUR

16 EUR
34 EUR

Woman
dress

21 EUR

15 EUR
67 EUR

Woman
shoes

19 EUR

14 EUR
45 EUR

Men
shoes

15 EUR

12 EUR
30 EUR

Men
suit

17 EUR

13 EUR
89 EUR

Regular
t-shirt

8.9 EUR

6.7 EUR
27 EUR

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

340 EUR

220 EUR
890 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

540 EUR

340 EUR
1,300 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

670 EUR

450 EUR
1,800 EUR

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

67,000 EUR

45,000 EUR
130,000 EUR

1-bedroom
apartment

89,000 EUR

54,000 EUR
340,000 EUR

2-bedroom
apartment

270,000 EUR

89,000 EUR
540,000 EUR

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

340 EUR

270 EUR
450 EUR

Double
Bed

270 EUR

180 EUR
340 EUR

Single
Bed

210 EUR

160 EUR
270 EUR

Living
Room

380 EUR

300 EUR
1,300 EUR

Dining
Table

180 EUR

130 EUR
340 EUR

Sofa
or Couch

240 EUR

180 EUR
540 EUR

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

270 EUR

180 EUR
540 EUR

Fridge
or Freezer

240 EUR

160 EUR
340 EUR

Washing
Machine

300 EUR

210 EUR
540 EUR

Stove
or Cooker

240 EUR

190 EUR
340 EUR

Mobile
Phone

270 EUR

220 EUR
380 EUR

Laptop
or Computer

300 EUR

240 EUR
540 EUR

How do people spend their money in Montenegro?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Montenegro

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW190 EUR
AVERAGE770 EUR
HIGH1,600 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW32 EUR
AVERAGE130 EUR
HIGH270 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW43 EUR
AVERAGE170 EUR
HIGH360 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW86 EUR
AVERAGE340 EUR
HIGH730 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW48 EUR
AVERAGE190 EUR
HIGH410 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW27 EUR
AVERAGE110 EUR
HIGH230 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW11 EUR
AVERAGE43 EUR
HIGH91 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW97 EUR
AVERAGE390 EUR
HIGH820 EUR
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Montenegro

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW270 EUR
AVERAGE1,300 EUR
HIGH2,100 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW40 EUR
AVERAGE160 EUR
HIGH320 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW97 EUR
AVERAGE480 EUR
HIGH770 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW110 EUR
AVERAGE560 EUR
HIGH900 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW89 EUR
AVERAGE440 EUR
HIGH710 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW48 EUR
AVERAGE240 EUR
HIGH390 EUR
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW16 EUR
AVERAGE80 EUR
HIGH130 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW140 EUR
AVERAGE680 EUR
HIGH1,100 EUR
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Montenegro

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW600 EUR
AVERAGE2,100 EUR
HIGH3,100 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW56 EUR
AVERAGE260 EUR
HIGH290 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW150 EUR
AVERAGE510 EUR
HIGH770 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW340 EUR
AVERAGE1,200 EUR
HIGH1,700 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW150 EUR
AVERAGE510 EUR
HIGH770 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW94 EUR
AVERAGE320 EUR
HIGH480 EUR
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW260 EUR
AVERAGE900 EUR
HIGH1,400 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW230 EUR
AVERAGE770 EUR
HIGH1,200 EUR
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Montenegro

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW64 EUR
AVERAGE390 EUR
HIGH840 EUR
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW11 EUR
AVERAGE64 EUR
HIGH140 EUR
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW19 EUR
AVERAGE110 EUR
HIGH240 EUR
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW54 EUR
AVERAGE320 EUR
HIGH700 EUR
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW16 EUR
AVERAGE97 EUR
HIGH210 EUR
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW13 EUR
AVERAGE80 EUR
HIGH170 EUR
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW51 EUR
AVERAGE310 EUR
HIGH660 EUR
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW40 EUR
AVERAGE240 EUR
HIGH520 EUR
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Montenegro typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 1,100 EUR with expenditure ranging from 280 EUR and 1,900 EUR. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Montenegro ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 150 EUR with 35 EUR and 260 EUR being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 77 EUR to 540 EUR on commuting with 320 EUR being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Montenegro is 600 EUR. The cost of groceries can range between 150 EUR to 1,000 EUR. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Montenegro allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 76 EUR to 530 EUR with 310 EUR being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 46 EUR to 320 EUR with 190 EUR being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 330 EUR per month with 85 EUR being the minimum spent amount and 560 EUR being the maximum.

©copound