Cost Of Living in Morocco

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Morocco

Whether you're living in Morocco or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
16,000 MAD
average per month
3,900 MAD
Range
33,000 MAD

Couple
29,000 MAD
average per month
5,800 MAD
Range
47,000 MAD

Family
47,000 MAD
average per month
14,000 MAD
Range
70,000 MAD

Student
12,000 MAD
average per month
1,900 MAD
Range
25,000 MAD
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Morocco is 16,000 MAD. Expenses can range from 3,900 MAD at the minimum level to 33,000 MAD at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Morocco is 29,000 MAD. Expenditure can range from 5,800 MAD to 47,000 MAD per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Morocco is 47,000 MAD per month. Families spend anywhere from 14,000 MAD to 70,000 MAD.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Morocco is 12,000 MAD. Students spend from 1,900 MAD to 25,000 MAD per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Morocco

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

3.9 MAD

3.9 MAD
3.9 MAD

Fast food
combo meal

39 MAD

28 MAD
65 MAD

Restaurant
meal for one

130 MAD

100 MAD
160 MAD

Fine dining
meal for one

320 MAD

220 MAD
390 MAD

Soda
Soft Drink

3.3 MAD

3.3 MAD
3.3 MAD

Cappuccino
or latte

26 MAD

16 MAD
39 MAD

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

19 MAD

16 MAD
22 MAD

Loaf of
bread

2.8 MAD

2.4 MAD
3.3 MAD

12
eggs

19 MAD

16 MAD
24 MAD

Fresh whole
chicken

45 MAD

35 MAD
56 MAD

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

51 MAD

43 MAD
65 MAD

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

28 MAD

24 MAD
32 MAD

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

13 MAD

11 MAD
16 MAD

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

14 MAD

12 MAD
15 MAD

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

13 MAD

12 MAD
15 MAD

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

19 MAD

16 MAD
39 MAD

Average car
full tank

130 MAD

97 MAD
260 MAD

Average car
1-day rental

130 MAD

97 MAD
190 MAD

Average car
price

97,000 MAD

49,000 MAD
130,000 MAD

Bus ticket
one way

4.9 MAD

3.3 MAD
9.7 MAD

Car
Service

190 MAD

130 MAD
390 MAD

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

940 MAD

230 MAD
2,000 MAD

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

1,200 MAD

290 MAD
2,300 MAD

Electricity
and water bill
Family

1,900 MAD

410 MAD
2,100 MAD

Internet
and cable

190 MAD

97 MAD
260 MAD

Mobile phone
charges

130 MAD

78 MAD
390 MAD

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

65 MAD

49 MAD
97 MAD

One month gym
membership

190 MAD

160 MAD
390 MAD

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

160 MAD

110 MAD
240 MAD

Woman
dress

150 MAD

110 MAD
490 MAD

Woman
shoes

140 MAD

100 MAD
320 MAD

Men
shoes

110 MAD

89 MAD
220 MAD

Men
suit

120 MAD

97 MAD
650 MAD

Regular
t-shirt

65 MAD

49 MAD
190 MAD

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

2,400 MAD

1,600 MAD
6,500 MAD

1-bedroom
apartment

3,900 MAD

2,400 MAD
9,700 MAD

2-bedroom
apartment

4,900 MAD

3,200 MAD
13,000 MAD

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

490,000 MAD

320,000 MAD
970,000 MAD

1-bedroom
apartment

650,000 MAD

390,000 MAD
2,400,000 MAD

2-bedroom
apartment

1,900,000 MAD

650,000 MAD
3,900,000 MAD

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

2,400 MAD

1,900 MAD
3,200 MAD

Double
Bed

1,900 MAD

1,300 MAD
2,400 MAD

Single
Bed

1,500 MAD

1,100 MAD
1,900 MAD

Living
Room

2,800 MAD

2,200 MAD
9,700 MAD

Dining
Table

1,300 MAD

970 MAD
2,400 MAD

Sofa
or Couch

1,800 MAD

1,300 MAD
3,900 MAD

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

1,900 MAD

1,300 MAD
3,900 MAD

Fridge
or Freezer

1,800 MAD

1,100 MAD
2,400 MAD

Washing
Machine

2,200 MAD

1,500 MAD
3,900 MAD

Stove
or Cooker

1,800 MAD

1,400 MAD
2,400 MAD

Mobile
Phone

1,900 MAD

1,600 MAD
2,800 MAD

Laptop
or Computer

2,200 MAD

1,800 MAD
3,900 MAD

How do people spend their money in Morocco?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Morocco

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW1,400 MAD
AVERAGE5,600 MAD
HIGH12,000 MAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW230 MAD
AVERAGE940 MAD
HIGH2,000 MAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW310 MAD
AVERAGE1,200 MAD
HIGH2,600 MAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW620 MAD
AVERAGE2,500 MAD
HIGH5,300 MAD
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW350 MAD
AVERAGE1,400 MAD
HIGH3,000 MAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW190 MAD
AVERAGE780 MAD
HIGH1,700 MAD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW78 MAD
AVERAGE310 MAD
HIGH660 MAD
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW700 MAD
AVERAGE2,800 MAD
HIGH6,000 MAD
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Morocco

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW1,900 MAD
AVERAGE9,600 MAD
HIGH15,000 MAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW290 MAD
AVERAGE1,200 MAD
HIGH2,300 MAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW700 MAD
AVERAGE3,500 MAD
HIGH5,600 MAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW820 MAD
AVERAGE4,100 MAD
HIGH6,500 MAD
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW640 MAD
AVERAGE3,200 MAD
HIGH5,100 MAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW350 MAD
AVERAGE1,800 MAD
HIGH2,800 MAD
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW120 MAD
AVERAGE580 MAD
HIGH940 MAD
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW990 MAD
AVERAGE5,000 MAD
HIGH7,900 MAD
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Morocco

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW4,400 MAD
AVERAGE15,000 MAD
HIGH22,000 MAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW410 MAD
AVERAGE1,900 MAD
HIGH2,100 MAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW1,100 MAD
AVERAGE3,700 MAD
HIGH5,600 MAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW2,500 MAD
AVERAGE8,400 MAD
HIGH13,000 MAD
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW1,100 MAD
AVERAGE3,700 MAD
HIGH5,600 MAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW680 MAD
AVERAGE2,300 MAD
HIGH3,500 MAD
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW1,900 MAD
AVERAGE6,500 MAD
HIGH9,800 MAD
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW1,600 MAD
AVERAGE5,600 MAD
HIGH8,400 MAD
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Morocco

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW470 MAD
AVERAGE2,800 MAD
HIGH6,100 MAD
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW78 MAD
AVERAGE470 MAD
HIGH1,000 MAD
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW140 MAD
AVERAGE820 MAD
HIGH1,800 MAD
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW390 MAD
AVERAGE2,300 MAD
HIGH5,100 MAD
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW120 MAD
AVERAGE700 MAD
HIGH1,500 MAD
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW97 MAD
AVERAGE580 MAD
HIGH1,300 MAD
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW370 MAD
AVERAGE2,200 MAD
HIGH4,800 MAD
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW290 MAD
AVERAGE1,800 MAD
HIGH3,800 MAD
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Morocco typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 8,300 MAD with expenditure ranging from 2,000 MAD and 14,000 MAD. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Morocco ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 1,100 MAD with 250 MAD and 1,900 MAD being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 560 MAD to 3,900 MAD on commuting with 2,300 MAD being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Morocco is 4,300 MAD. The cost of groceries can range between 1,100 MAD to 7,400 MAD. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Morocco allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 550 MAD to 3,800 MAD with 2,300 MAD being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 330 MAD to 2,300 MAD with 1,400 MAD being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 2,400 MAD per month with 620 MAD being the minimum spent amount and 4,100 MAD being the maximum.

©copound