Cost Of Living in Mozambique

Average monthly spending for singles, couples, and families in Mozambique

Whether you're living in Mozambique or planning to move there, it is very important to know the cost of living and the prices of things. Here we list the average spending for the three main population groups.

Average Spending Per Month
All-inclusive

Single
32,000 MZN
average per month
8,100 MZN
Range
69,000 MZN

Couple
61,000 MZN
average per month
12,000 MZN
Range
97,000 MZN

Family
97,000 MZN
average per month
28,000 MZN
Range
150,000 MZN

Student
24,000 MZN
average per month
4,000 MZN
Range
52,000 MZN
The figures displayed here are inclusive of everything: housing, travel, groceries, healthcare, etc.

Singles

The average monthly expenses for a single person living in Mozambique is 32,000 MZN. Expenses can range from 8,100 MZN at the minimum level to 69,000 MZN at the highest end.

Couples

The average monthly spending of couples in Mozambique is 61,000 MZN. Expenditure can range from 12,000 MZN to 97,000 MZN per month.

Families

The average cost of living for families in Mozambique is 97,000 MZN per month. Families spend anywhere from 28,000 MZN to 150,000 MZN.

Students

The average monthly expenditure for students in Mozambique is 24,000 MZN. Students spend from 4,000 MZN to 52,000 MZN per month.


Spending behavior can change drastically from one person to another. It is best to consider the minimum, average, and maximum spending together.

Prices and cost of goods and services in Mozambique

Dining, food, and beverages costs


Large bottle
of water

8.1 MZN

8.1 MZN
8.1 MZN

Fast food
combo meal

81 MZN

58 MZN
130 MZN

Restaurant
meal for one

270 MZN

210 MZN
340 MZN

Fine dining
meal for one

670 MZN

450 MZN
810 MZN

Soda
Soft Drink

6.7 MZN

6.7 MZN
6.7 MZN

Cappuccino
or latte

54 MZN

34 MZN
81 MZN

Grocery and market costs


Milk
large bottle

40 MZN

34 MZN
45 MZN

Loaf of
bread

5.8 MZN

5.0 MZN
6.7 MZN

12
eggs

40 MZN

34 MZN
50 MZN

Fresh whole
chicken

94 MZN

73 MZN
120 MZN

Beef
1 kg or 1 lb

110 MZN

90 MZN
130 MZN

Rice
1 kg or 1 lb

58 MZN

50 MZN
67 MZN

Tomato
1 kg or 1 lb

27 MZN

22 MZN
34 MZN

Apples
1 kg or 1 lb

29 MZN

25 MZN
31 MZN

Banana
1 kg or 1 lb

28 MZN

24 MZN
31 MZN

Commute, travel, and transportation costs


20 minutes
taxi ride

40 MZN

34 MZN
81 MZN

Average car
full tank

270 MZN

200 MZN
540 MZN

Average car
1-day rental

270 MZN

200 MZN
400 MZN

Average car
price

200,000 MZN

100,000 MZN
270,000 MZN

Bus ticket
one way

10 MZN

6.7 MZN
20 MZN

Car
Service

400 MZN

270 MZN
810 MZN

Utility cost (monthly)


Electricity
and water bill
Single

1,900 MZN

480 MZN
4,100 MZN

Electricity
and water bill
Couple

2,400 MZN

610 MZN
4,800 MZN

Electricity
and water bill
Family

3,900 MZN

850 MZN
4,400 MZN

Internet
and cable

400 MZN

200 MZN
540 MZN

Mobile phone
charges

270 MZN

160 MZN
810 MZN

Leisure and activities costs


Movie
ticket

130 MZN

100 MZN
200 MZN

One month gym
membership

400 MZN

320 MZN
810 MZN

Cloths and accessories costs


Pair of jeans
or pants

340 MZN

240 MZN
500 MZN

Woman
dress

310 MZN

220 MZN
1,000 MZN

Woman
shoes

290 MZN

210 MZN
670 MZN

Men
shoes

220 MZN

180 MZN
450 MZN

Men
suit

250 MZN

200 MZN
1,300 MZN

Regular
t-shirt

130 MZN

100 MZN
400 MZN

Housing costs / monthly rent


Studio
apartment

5,000 MZN

3,400 MZN
13,000 MZN

1-bedroom
apartment

8,100 MZN

5,000 MZN
20,000 MZN

2-bedroom
apartment

10,000 MZN

6,700 MZN
27,000 MZN

Housing costs / Buying


Studio
apartment

1,000,000 MZN

670,000 MZN
2,000,000 MZN

1-bedroom
apartment

1,300,000 MZN

810,000 MZN
5,000,000 MZN

2-bedroom
apartment

4,000,000 MZN

1,300,000 MZN
8,100,000 MZN

Furniture Costs


King Size
Bed

5,000 MZN

4,000 MZN
6,700 MZN

Double
Bed

4,000 MZN

2,700 MZN
5,000 MZN

Single
Bed

3,100 MZN

2,400 MZN
4,000 MZN

Living
Room

5,800 MZN

4,500 MZN
20,000 MZN

Dining
Table

2,700 MZN

2,000 MZN
5,000 MZN

Sofa
or Couch

3,700 MZN

2,700 MZN
8,100 MZN

Electronics Costs


TV
Set

4,000 MZN

2,700 MZN
8,100 MZN

Fridge
or Freezer

3,700 MZN

2,400 MZN
5,000 MZN

Washing
Machine

4,500 MZN

3,100 MZN
8,100 MZN

Stove
or Cooker

3,700 MZN

2,900 MZN
5,000 MZN

Mobile
Phone

4,000 MZN

3,400 MZN
5,800 MZN

Laptop
or Computer

4,500 MZN

3,700 MZN
8,100 MZN

How do people spend their money in Mozambique?

We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are their answers.

The percentage figures in this section are percentages of total spending not income. If you would like to see the percentage of expenses as related to income or salary, see additional sections below.


Single
Spending habits, consumption analysis, and expenditure patterns for a single person living in Mozambique

Housing36%

36% of total expenses on average (27% to 42%)

LOW2,900 MZN
AVERAGE12,000 MZN
HIGH25,000 MZN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water6%

6% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW480 MZN
AVERAGE1,900 MZN
HIGH4,100 MZN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (3% to 11%)

LOW650 MZN
AVERAGE2,600 MZN
HIGH5,500 MZN
Per Month

Food and Groceries16%

16% of total expenses on average (9% to 22%)

LOW1,300 MZN
AVERAGE5,200 MZN
HIGH11,000 MZN
Per Month

Healthcare9%

9% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW730 MZN
AVERAGE2,900 MZN
HIGH6,200 MZN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW400 MZN
AVERAGE1,600 MZN
HIGH3,400 MZN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW160 MZN
AVERAGE650 MZN
HIGH1,400 MZN
Per Month

Other Expenses18%

18% of total expenses on average (15% to 21%)

LOW1,500 MZN
AVERAGE5,800 MZN
HIGH12,000 MZN
Per Month


Couple
Average monthly living expenditure breaks and spending patterns for couples in Mozambique

Housing33%

33% of total expenses on average (30% to 43%)

LOW4,000 MZN
AVERAGE20,000 MZN
HIGH32,000 MZN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 8%)

LOW610 MZN
AVERAGE2,400 MZN
HIGH4,800 MZN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel12%

12% of total expenses on average (7% to 15%)

LOW1,500 MZN
AVERAGE7,300 MZN
HIGH12,000 MZN
Per Month

Food and Groceries14%

14% of total expenses on average (7% to 19%)

LOW1,700 MZN
AVERAGE8,500 MZN
HIGH14,000 MZN
Per Month

Healthcare11%

11% of total expenses on average (5% to 14%)

LOW1,300 MZN
AVERAGE6,700 MZN
HIGH11,000 MZN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 10%)

LOW730 MZN
AVERAGE3,600 MZN
HIGH5,800 MZN
Per Month

Education2%

2% of total expenses on average (1% to 4%)

LOW240 MZN
AVERAGE1,200 MZN
HIGH1,900 MZN
Per Month

Other Expenses17%

17% of total expenses on average (14% to 20%)

LOW2,100 MZN
AVERAGE10,000 MZN
HIGH16,000 MZN
Per Month


Family
Average monthly expenses and break out of spending for families living in Mozambique

Housing32%

32% of total expenses on average (27% to 38%)

LOW9,000 MZN
AVERAGE31,000 MZN
HIGH46,000 MZN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water3%

3% of total expenses on average (2% to 7%)

LOW850 MZN
AVERAGE3,900 MZN
HIGH4,400 MZN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel8%

8% of total expenses on average (5% to 10%)

LOW2,300 MZN
AVERAGE7,700 MZN
HIGH12,000 MZN
Per Month

Food and Groceries18%

18% of total expenses on average (12% to 23%)

LOW5,100 MZN
AVERAGE17,000 MZN
HIGH26,000 MZN
Per Month

Healthcare8%

8% of total expenses on average (6% to 12%)

LOW2,300 MZN
AVERAGE7,700 MZN
HIGH12,000 MZN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW1,400 MZN
AVERAGE4,800 MZN
HIGH7,300 MZN
Per Month

Education14%

14% of total expenses on average (11% to 18%)

LOW4,000 MZN
AVERAGE14,000 MZN
HIGH20,000 MZN
Per Month

Other Expenses12%

12% of total expenses on average (8% to 15%)

LOW3,400 MZN
AVERAGE12,000 MZN
HIGH17,000 MZN
Per Month


Student
Cost of living and expense breaks for students in Mozambique

Housing24%

24% of total expenses on average (18% to 31%)

LOW970 MZN
AVERAGE5,800 MZN
HIGH13,000 MZN
Per Month

Utilities, Electricity, Water4%

4% of total expenses on average (3% to 7%)

LOW160 MZN
AVERAGE970 MZN
HIGH2,100 MZN
Per Month

Transport, Fuel7%

7% of total expenses on average (5% to 9%)

LOW280 MZN
AVERAGE1,700 MZN
HIGH3,700 MZN
Per Month

Food and Groceries20%

20% of total expenses on average (16% to 24%)

LOW810 MZN
AVERAGE4,800 MZN
HIGH10,000 MZN
Per Month

Healthcare6%

6% of total expenses on average (3% to 9%)

LOW240 MZN
AVERAGE1,500 MZN
HIGH3,100 MZN
Per Month

Leisure, Shopping5%

5% of total expenses on average (2% to 9%)

LOW200 MZN
AVERAGE1,200 MZN
HIGH2,600 MZN
Per Month

Education19%

19% of total expenses on average (17% to 24%)

LOW770 MZN
AVERAGE4,600 MZN
HIGH10,000 MZN
Per Month

Other Expenses15%

15% of total expenses on average (12% to 17%)

LOW610 MZN
AVERAGE3,600 MZN
HIGH7,900 MZN
Per Month
This section breaks down and compares expenses for all population groups: singles, couples, students, and families. If you want to see details for a specific group, please see the previous section. We asked thousands of people about their spending habits and expenditure breaks. Below are the results.

Housing Expenditure

People living in Mozambique typically spend from 26% to 39% of their total monthly expenditure on housing with 31% being the average. The average spend on housing is 17,000 MZN with expenditure ranging from 4,200 MZN and 29,000 MZN. This cost mainly goes for rent but it also includes other accommodation-related expenses. Housing costs are highest for families and lowest for students as expected.

Utility Bills and Payments

On average, utility expenditure like electricity, water, and gas in Mozambique ranges from 2% to 8% of total expenses with 5% being the the average. The average monthly cost of utilities is 2,300 MZN with 520 MZN and 3,900 MZN being the upper and lower limits.

Transportation Cost and Fuel Consumption

Fuel consumption and cost of transport depend heavily on whether you live near your work or school, but roughly speaking you would expect to spend from 1,200 MZN to 8,100 MZN on commuting with 4,800 MZN being the norm for most people in one month. This means that money spent on transport constitutes about 9% of total spending on average but can go as low as 5% or as high as 11%.

Cost of Food and Groceries

The average outlay on groceries in a month in Mozambique is 9,000 MZN. The cost of groceries can range between 2,200 MZN to 15,000 MZN. People spend on average about 17% on food and groceries with upper and lower bounds of 11% and 17% respectively.

Cost of Healthcare and Medical Services

People in Mozambique allocate 5% to 12% of their total monthly expenditure to healthcare including health insurance and out-of-pocket medical expenses. The average spending is around 9%. The range of medical expenses range from 1,100 MZN to 7,900 MZN with 4,700 MZN being the norm.

Leisure and Shopping

This category mostly contains discretionary or non-essential expenses but also some non-discretionary spending like furniture for example. The monthly expenses range from 690 MZN to 4,800 MZN with 2,800 MZN being the average. Speaking of percentages, that equates to 2% to 9% of total expenses with an average of 5% for most residents.

Cost of Education and Schooling

Spending on education can vary drastically between different people. While working singles can spend 0% on education, families and students' expenditure can reach up to 22%. On average, education constitutes 9% of the monthly expenditure with 8% and 13% being the lower and upper bounds respectively. The average reported education cost is 5,000 MZN per month with 1,300 MZN being the minimum spent amount and 8,400 MZN being the maximum.

Beira   Maputo   Matola   Nampula  
©copound